veg oil

geordie01

Guest Le Thou

It all depends on what type of engine you are asking to run off the mixture, you will most probably be ok with the normal aspirated diesels pre turbo models but I beleive the common rail diesels and the more modern multi jets it's not worth risking because of lubrication problems, I wouldnt risk it in my Autotrail.

If you are lucky someone such as Dave Newell who is much more knowlegable than I will give you a more concise answer.

Met a man at the Carmarthen motor home show last year with a very old Hymer on a Mercedes, perhaps 20 years old. He told me he ran it on 100% cooking vegy cooking oil with no problems. My Garage man said at least 50% diesel mix in my Transit, but would not risk it, 75% Diesel would be safer, so I decided not worth the risk of ruining the injecter system for very little gain.

Mike P - 2008-02-28 10:52 AM

Anyone thought what the man from HMCR might say?

Mike P

I reckon loads and loads of people have.

And then decided that they really don't care.

I personally know of two people who have been consistently running their (older model) diesel cars on 50/50 diesel and veg oil for a few years now.

If you Google this subject, there are now dozens of sites that give you excellent info on how to use/brew Vegetable oil/diesel mixes.

Also, UK HMG actually relaxed the official licencing rules about a year ago on people brewing their own bio-diesel at home.....even officially now, the first 2,500 litres that you might produce (or at least declare that you produced) are completely tax and duty free.

When I was lorry driving one of our fitters who was also a diesel pump teccy always said if you use supermarket diesell you need to put a 1ltr bottle of cheap cooking oil in your tank every third or fourth fill up to replace the oils and waxes that are refined out of  supermarket diesel he said if you stripped a pump down that had been run on cheap diesel if was always really black and the seals were very dry inside.

Archived