Hymer bike rack fitting

Jasper

I have purchased a Fiamma Hymer Pro bike rack for my Hymer Van 522. The van has 2 pre-fitted upper plates and the bike rack has 2 hooks at the top. I obviously need some sort of braket to fit to the plate. Does anyone know where I can get these from? I did ask at the Fiamma stand at the NEC but unfortunately I think they had a number of people helping out at the show who weren't sure of the products and had no idea what I was talking about.

Many thanks

Jas

Not sure I quite understand either!  Your Hymer Van has two pre-fitted plates.  However, are these two flat plates on the inside of the rear wall, two flat plates on the outside of the rear wall, or two upper mounting brackets for a bike rack, to which your Fiamma rack won't align/mount?

If the latter, which I somehow guess to be the case, I suspect you may need to check which rack Hymer fit as standard, because my money would be on it being one of the Omnibike racks, and not a Fiamma rack.  So far as I know, Fiamma racks won't mount to Omnibike bracketry, and vice versa.  If I'm correct, unless the mounting centres for both Omni and Fiamma are the same, you really need to change the rack for an Omni rack, as the fixing holes have already been made.  The alternative is to get a Fiamma mounting kit, but that may involve making new holes through the rear wall and sealing the present holes.  Before doing this, check with Hymer UK whether there is adequate reinforcement in the rear wall at the alternative mounting positions.

Brian thanks for your response. I was told by the Hymer salesman (yes silly me for listening) that the van had pre installed fittings (it's a new van). The fittings externally are covered by plastic covers. When I took the covers off there are 2 plastic plates with small extrusions (mainly for holding the plastic cover) that are bolted on by 4 bolts but basically the plates are flat and the bike rack needs a bracket to take the hooks. It's not possible to see the internal bracket as they are behind internal walls and cupboards. I have tried contacting Brownhills again but so far have had no joy.

The omnistor and Fiamma are the same measurement (60cm) between the fixing brackets.

At this rate I think I may end up cycling behind the van carrying the rack!

Then I guess it will be down to the fixing centres in the rack mounting plates for those 4 Bolts.  I think you'll probably have to be able to get at the other ends of the fixings, though, because I suspect there is another, metal, plate inside the van with the nuts tightened against it.  B/H should know.  There will also be another bracket, probably a length of aly angle, to be fitted to take to bottom of the bracket against the 'van wall.

I suppose you could always cycle in front of the van and tow it along.  Leave the rack in the boot and save fuel!  :-)

From memory I had the same problem with a Hymer two years ago.

The top mounting points are predrilled and bolted through the bodywork. You have to undo the nuts on the outside together with the rectangular plastic piece and subsitute it for the bracket. Seal it well and refit the nuts.

The top of the rack just hangs onto these brackets. Check carefully where the bottom ones mount because some hymers have a double back wall in the shower. (B584)

I think Brownhills charged something like £15.00 for the two Fiamma brackets, so suggest you try the internet.

The brackets can be seen on page 51 of the latest Fiamma brochure.

I don't know how to attach a photo of one here, perhaps someone can tell me

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graham

Yes I eventually spoke to someone at Hymer UK having found the part I needed on the Movera website. I had made the mistake of speaking to accessories and sales depts and they didn't know what I was talking about. However the service dept at Hymer UK were extremely helpful and knew immediately the part I needed. Only cost about £7 and delivered next day.

Cheers

Jas

One point.

If your Hymer has an opening back window don't be tempted to open it if the bike rack is fitted because you will not be able to fully open the window in order to close it again unless you remove the rack.

Hymer windows have a system built into the stays to keep the window open by different amounts. To close a window from any of these immediate positions you have to fully open the window. This is not possible with a bike rack on.

Hi hyrgra

As long as the bottom brackets are within the specified min / max length of the rack then there is some flexibility. I placed the rack so when the bikes are on the rack they wouldn't block the top brake light or the main rear lights but was low enough to lift the bikes on fairly easily. This brings the bottom of the horizontal part of the rack, when down in position to take bikes, about level with the top of the lower corner decals. Hope this makes sense. Was a bit nervous of drilling through the van wall but it went ok. I used plenty of sealant and a tip that was given to me was to get a length of aluminium tubing (about £3.50 from B&Q) that the bolts just fit through and use short sections as spacers for the bottom bracket bolts. This worked really well.

Jas

Hi Jas thanks for the info you posted today about the positions of the brackets for the Hymer bike rack I bought the Fiamma Pro Hymer rack and it comes with all the top fixing hymer type brackets etc once again many thanks Graham

Archived