Fiat Ducato Clunk on Startup

Guest Videomaster

Guest Videomaster

I took my new Rapido in for the recalls, but also with a pronounced 'clunk' at start-up, especially when cold.

The Service Manager said he had spoken to Fiat about this and it wasn't serious, lots of them have it. Well I haven't heard this reported, anyone else know of the problem please...? :'(

And to make it worse, they did not fit the covers yet (4 weeks ago) because of the back orders due to the mass recall! Anyone else experiencing delays in delivery?

I've noticed the occaisonal clunk on start up from cold. I've checked underneath the van and can find nothing un toward.

As regards the water ingress I reported it at our local Fiat dealers ( Foxfield in Wigan) on the 18th February.

They called on the 21st Feb to say that they had received the parts and the van is actually in today having the work done.

Has anyone had a problem with the engine management light coming on?

This is something that they are looking at today and re-mapping was mentioned.

(!)

Can you not open the bonnet before the engine is started, and then either observe closely what happens when the engine catches while someone else turns the starter, or get someone else to do so while you turn the starter.  The clunk seems to be likely to be something mounted to the engine/transmission hitting something mounted to the engine bay, or a badly clipped air or water hose flapping around as the engine first fires.  Alternatively, look underneath next time to see if the exhaust or one of the heat shields is hitting the bodywork somewhere.  The location and nature of the noise should be clearer from outside, and should give a clue where to look, and for what.

Hi Brian,

I'll try that tomorrow with my beloved.

As regards the engine management light the dealers need to do a ''flash download'' but the disc they had was faulty so I need to return to have that done.

Hopefully the water ingress problems are now cured.

Adrian :-)

I think you will find it is the engine mountings torquing up as the engine is started. Big suspicion on the bottom torque mount.

Spent some time underneath and in the engine bay but there is nothing hitting.

I am looking at this problem associated with the reversing judder as I think they are linked.

Was doing some tests today but rain stopped play. More later.

Martin.

Yes, mine does it too, and as you know I've been talking quite lot to other owners and many report this banging on start-up.

It may very well be linked to the engine and gearbox leaping about in demented fashion when reversing, but I've got enough on my plate with that issue.

If only I'd tested more of these nice-driving but unfinished vehicles before I'd bought one...........

Guest Tracker

I wonder if it is as simple as inadequate upper engine mounts?

This afflicted early Minis back in the dark ages until BMC quickly put a rubber mounted upper engine to bulkhead brace in place.

However one of the pitfalls of a short drive train as with front wheel drive is always going to be a susceptibility to clutch judder from time to time.

That's not an excuse for Fiat to ignore it.

Archived