FRANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME

booboo

Hiya everybody,just looking for some advice and opinions on france for a complete beginner who may i add has never driven abroad before,im traveling first two weeks in july and travelling with wife and three kids 15,10,8, . we were thinking off doing euro disney for our first stop for say 2 days and just wanted to no distance roads ,and if its quite straight forward ect. also is there still over night stays at the park. also what would be a good area to head for after euro disney , i realise 2 weeks probarly aint a great deal off time away to do much travelling over there and dont want to get to ambitious for my first time, My friends are going to the south of france and asked us to join them after our euro disney stay but this is there 3rd time doing france and want to venture further afeild ,and i want to ask you good people if this is probarly a bit to much for us as first timers. sorry once again ive got a right few questions in one post sorry guys any bits and peices of advice would be great. CHEERS KEITH.

Hi keith and welcome post 21 .. :D you can do a search for Euro Dysney and I believe the last time I looked you could stay there still . Use the search facility and extend it to one year that should bring up something .

As for the south the roads in France the Motorways and most village roads are great I say go for it you wont be sorry ... ;-)

We do it every year the south no probs and when we were first timers we just put our foot down and didnt look up so to speak .

We made it so will you Good Luck.

No problems in France. Don,t try and do too many miles each day when travelling. For us 150 is quite sufficient. We do not use the autoroutes unless in special circumstances. Camp sites are plentiful. Keep out of big towns if you want to enjoy the country and if you wild camp for 1 night then pick somewhere not in or near a big town but in or close to a small village where there are people. A good thing to aim for is the church. many have parking around them for lorries and / or motorhomes. Alternatively Le Routier restaurants which have close by lorry parks. Enjoy some traditional french food and ask if you can park overnight in their park with the lorries, they always say yes.

Some of our favourite places are Millau and Agde on the Med coast.

If needed (and we did last year) you can get back from as far away as Carcasonne to Basingstoke in 18 hours including the Calais Dover ferry. 887 miles all on Autoroutes with a long camper and trailer.

So go on, don;t just think about it, get on with it.

Good luck

Clive

Oh and dont forget unless the side road on your right has a white line at its end they still have PRIORITY TO THE RIGHT in France. So people may seem to jump out in front of you from side roads on your right in villages. SLOW DOWN EYES PEELED its their country and their rules.

Take it easy - but take it!

Clive

>try to follow someone

On our first trip to France many moons ago my wife/navigator (before being replaced with an electronic Jane) decided that this was the most sensible thing to do as we exited Cherbourg Docks during the early hours. Blissfully unaware I followed her instructions as we seemed to be stuck behind this rather smelly old French truck....until it turned into what seemed to be Cherbourg market. Never again - it took half an hour to get out!!

First post here and about time too been lurking for ages.

Terry

Currently the Euro is very strong against the Pound. The Nationwide BS Flex account do not charge you for drawing cash out of ATM's and give a very good rate of exchange, so if you do not have a Nationwide account you could open one with just holiday money in it. It can save you quite a lot on charges levied by most banks.

Guest Tracker

Main roads are not a problem until you come to a junction with no markings!

There is the risk that having waited for a clear gap to appear you cross the junction and head off down your chosen route, but on the wrong side of the road! With luck the first oncoming vehicle you meet will be on a straight and not on a bend.

On winding country road that vary in width from one to two lanes it is easy to come out of a very narrow bit and then continue on the wrong side of the road - until you meet an indignant (and frightened) native coming towards you!

Road marking in France are generally very good but there are exceptions.

An observant navigator yelling in your left ear may help reduce these risks!

Just a word of warning - keep your eyes peeled when coming to a roundabout that has chevrons on your left. the French have a habit, especially at lunchtime and going home in the evening, to overtake towards the roundabout on the chevrons. This has happened to us a few years ago when a boy-racer overtook us and then overtook our friends who were in front of us towing a trailer, he damaged the trailer and made a right mess of his car. We stopped at the otherside of the roundabout and this lad was ranting and raving and as soon as our friend said he would call the Gendarmes he was off.

The other thing, which I don't know if anyone has mentioned, is the traffic lights. You get RED - STOP, flashing AMBER - you can go if it is safe to do so, GREEN - go. More often than not you only get the RED then GREEN, unlike UK.

You will enjoy your trip as the roads here are good, just busier in the big towns and cities.

Have a good holiday and relax.

If you have two weeks, and you're going in July, and you have children, I don't think you'd be able to do any more than just get to the south of France before it was time to return.  This will be absolute peak time, with absolute peak rates, and all sites near the sea heaving with pretty much the whole of Northern Europe's families.  I doubt if you would get a pitch anywhere without a booking, and even with a booking, many sites won't take you for less that two weeks.  Try to decide what appeals to you about France, and then concentrate on that.  France is still much more regional then the UK, so you can't really "do" France, you can only "do" a region.  That is why so many keep going back, there are so many regions.

Thanks for the welcome guys - been lurking over a year I guess now. Don't worry I'm used to forums and for that matter unmoderated newsgroups going way, way back. Thinking how far back has just worried me!

Useless at this motorhome businesss compared with some of you fellas.

Terry

Thanks again guys , im inclined to agree with brians comments, i think about chooseing one region and sticking to that , were thinking about not bothering with euro disney and saving that to maybe just out of season and just concentrating on that as a single trip rather than maybe rushing every thing. PS please dont tell the education department about the out of season idea ! :-D CHEERS KEITH.

I agree with Brian Kirby's comment, the South of France with a family is probably unwise. Why not choose an area with lakes. In France, any piece of water larger than a puddle will usually have a beach and water sports area. Try the lakes near Troyes, or, for more spectacular scenery, the Savoy area, between Geneva and Grenoble. The latter will be busier, but going in early July you should miss the French school holidays. Or try Vermenton - a super municipal site with good facilities, and a good "beach" area on the river next to it. This is perhaps 20 miles South of Auxerre. Lots of interesting places to visit - caves, castles, canals, and a theme park not too far away.

I know this is probably sacrilege but you could stay in Nord Pas de Calais. Plenty to see and some fabulous beaches OR go to Belgium. Ditto and with some very good theme parksas well.Holland has an expensive but good campsite Durinell that has a fun fair free for campers.

hi Keith, everyone seems to head off to France for the first time abroad ,we have traveled all over europe and we like Belgium some say boreing Belgium but we do not find that at all , take your bikes with you go into the tourist office and get a cycling map off the area and you can ride everywhere in total safety,theres a municipal site at YPRES camping Jeugdstadion this is ten minutes walk from the Menin gate were they play the last post every night , from here you can cycle to all the main world war 1 battle fields and war graves such as pashondale and tyncot, if you want to book they speak English , if you look on the map its not that far from Paris, i dont think the south of France in July or August for a first timer is a good idea but if you must try the municipal at Menton,as for driving abroad allways make sure the gutter is on the drivers side, Malcolm

Hi Booboo.

We go to the South of France every year (twice). 1st week of the main school holiday and then again in the last week. Those weeks are generally a bit quieter. We have two children and have not booked for the last six years, only once having to stay in the overflow for one night.

Our first trip to France was down south, got broken into twice in services (found out afterwards not a good place to catch forty winks) but still keep going and thoroughly enjoy it.

We found the tolls a bit more expensive at this time but on a whole still a lot cheaper than staying in UK and almost guaranteed good weather.

Two weeks from Scotland to south of france inc. euro disney is more than I would want to do, lots of interesting places in northern france including the first experience of france itself.

One thing I have not seen noted above, carefull when turning out of a side turning or starting off from side of road, very easy to end up on wrong side when inexperieced

South of France is a long way down, you'll spend a lot of time travelling and with kids I wouldn't recommend it, we don't have any but our dogs soon get restless!

It'll more than likely be very hot as well, not ideal if your not used it it or you want to get out and do lots of activities during the day, you just won't want to.

If you use the motorways, even though there are quite a few free ones, it'll still cost you a fair whack and if you try to do that sort of mileage by avoiding the pay ones you'll definitely spend most of your holiday travelling and some of these non-motorway roads can be absolute hell as you go through town after town, speeding up and slowing down all the time for the calming measures, it's mind numbingly boring and tiring if you are just travelling through.

I'd stick to the northern part of France for your first foray, Britany is beautiful and it won't take you too long to get there. There are lots of things to do as it's well set-up for tourism, loads of lovely beaches, resorts etc.

Try to get hold of a copy of the Aa Explorer France book, it's a great resource for seeing what there is to do in an area, along with map and scenic tourist routes to get the best out the regions.

Booboo, just being nosey now - what van have you got?

HI EVERYBODY ,thanks for all your advice and comments its great hearing from people who have seen it and done it !fair play to scottle for not being put off france after being robbed twice on your first trip there !MEL B.ive got a new rollerteam 600 on a transit chassis got it in december 07. PS.sorry its not big enough mel to carry a canoe :-D CHEERS KEITH.

Archived