Least Used Accessories

Mel E

Usinmyknaus - 2008-03-04 2:56 PM

Nice one Bas. Is it your experience that the bracing rafter increase's the awning's ability to survive stronger winds please? If it does, I'll buy one. I was tempted when I ordered the extra tie down kit but did not want to shell out more money without knowing that it worked.

I need all the help I can get, the rain keeps messing up my stir-fries.

Bob

Hi, yes it does definately improve the stiffness of the whole, without it as the wind starts to rise the whole thing is sort of like a tensioned spring expanding and colapsing with the front rail moving in and out I believe that is why it comes standard on the larger length awnings like ours, it does nothing to stop the wind from getting underneath though thats where the tie down kit comes into its own. However if you don't wind in the awning before the wind gets up it is a bit 'heart in mouth' when you remove the rafter to enable you to wind in the awning if you get my drift, same with the tie down kit if you are alone.

Regarding your awning and door problem, were you aware that Fiamma do a roller that fits to the door to roll along the awning cloth without doing damage designed for the very purpose to cure the problem you have, or they did anyway. Also they do a curved rafter that might be of help as it raises the cloth roof to help the rain to run off.

Bas

I think it might be the actual arms the door hits, but is it possible to move them a bit within certain recommended limits, which may help in clearing the door if this is the case.

In breezy weather I sometimes just wind mine partially out and then use the tie down kit to keep the fabric taught...works a treat especially if there is some rain to keep a dryish bit close top the van.

JohnP. I too have had major problems with my Fiamma awning. I reckon that full advice should be given about the type of motorhome which is suitable for this bit of kit. After eventually getting the right size awning (4.5m) I still found that the side poles obstructed the door of the van. I had the canopy moved further to the front of the van as far as possible but still found that the upright poles obstructed the door. I moved the brackets holding the poles but this resulted in too much pressure on the zips which consequently broke. I think I have the problem solved now. I had the sides of the awning replaced with the type designed for caravans. They have a flap which goes over the poles and give about an extra four inches each side thereby missing the door and the lounge window with ease. These sides are not as wide as the originals so I can't roll out the canopy to it's full depth. I reckon I have lost about a foot in depth but still have a good sized 'spare room'

However, as to it's usefulness, I plan to travel in Europe for a few weeks later this year and reckon that I could use the extra weight gained by leaving the awning behind and just use the canopy.

Least use

1. Folding travel iron

2. Won a gas alarm from MMM. Fixed it up but never feel need to use it abroad.

3. cooker extractor fan!!!!!!Do not see its purpose. Open a window!!!!!!

4. Ceiling fiamma sunlight fan. Too noisy and prefer my "Breeze 12v fan"

Chris

mikemoss - 2008-03-05 6:57 PM

Clothes dryer to hang out of one of the windows. Honestly, who wants to do washing while away in the MH?

Send it to me, could do with a second one we find so useful. When away for a couple of months, with a child, afraid washing clothes is a must. We hang them from the cycle carrier.

J.

Brambles - 2008-03-05 9:15 PM

mikemoss - 2008-03-05 6:57 PM

Clothes dryer to hang out of one of the windows. Honestly, who wants to do washing while away in the MH?

Send it to me, could do with a second one we find so useful. When away for a couple of months, with a child, afraid washing clothes is a must. We hang them from the cycle carrier.

J.

Hang the clothes on I hope! 8-) Although that's one way to dry off the kiddie without messing up a towel. :D

Brambles - 2008-03-09 2:59 PM

Mel E,

Terry has Air-rides... making eveything as light as a feather. :)

But Airrides also add weight to the rear axle and don't increase it's permitted load.

Mel E

====

Yes Mel E I jest.

Latest edition to our list of accessories is Sat Nav. Did use over Christmas in UK, actually found very useful a couple of times - to find a campsite and also to get us from Leomister to a Nursing home West of Hereford. FiLaw swore we should be going the back roads as quickest but sat Nav took me quickest and shortest route via Hereford...it was correct but FiLaw still insisted he was. Main reason for getting is for European Maps and when going into obscure towns and cities off the main roads to have a look see and not being able to find a quick way out again back onto our route. So easy to end up in wrong direction. So this summer will prove whether it gets relegated to the useless list or most useful list. I suspect most useful.

Jon.

edit - spelling

Guest Tracker

Sat Nav is very handy in Europe for two reasons, even if like us, you never bother keying in a destination.

You know exactly where you are and cross reference to a map easily tells you where you want to be and which way to go!

Ours sits on top of the speedo and gives me a kph readout, albeit with a second or two delay when braking or accelerating - but still very handy

Archived