Campsite classification?

skottle

Hi,

Could somebody please let me know how campsite classification works?

I ask this question as we have just returned from a supposedly 5 star site (that accepts motorhomes) so you would presume it would have a dump station, super pitches etc. Although it was clean it seemed to offer nothing.

Without wishing to be tooooo cynical, Les, have you noticed that the more stars they have the more they charge?  It is in the operator's interest to get as many stars as possible, so doing/installing whatever earns them stars is good business.  However, the stars are awarded by various organisations, depending on where the campsite is, and in which country.  Thus, you get more stars for less facilities in some places/countries, than in others.  This is why reliance on stars as an indication that the campsite offers what you are looking for is the way to the madhouse, or at least to serial disappointment!  What you need is a good sites guide, that appraises the sites in a consistent and logical way.  So that, once you have worked where on their ratings categories you find satisfaction, you can select other sites with similar ratings and be reasonably confident of what you will find on arrival.  Since everyone has different needs and preferences, and applies different logic when using guides, getting the right one for you is largely a matter of trial and error.  In UK we tend to use club sites, as these generally offer an acceptable and consistent level of services, and their site handbooks are generally reliable as to what is on offer at each site.  For Europe I prefer the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe" guides, because the comments are all submitted by the people who use the sites, as opposed to travelling inspectors.  For France, I still like the Michelin guide, though Michelin seem intent on making it more and more difficult to navigate around.  However, you seldom find that facilities are absent or unavailable when publicised, and once you crack the code, the ratings are pretty reliably consistent.

skottle - 2008-03-02 5:40 PM

Hi,

Could somebody please let me know how campsite classification works?

I ask this question as we have just returned from a supposedly 5 star site (that accepts motorhomes) so you would presume it would have a dump station, super pitches etc. Although it was clean it seemed to offer nothing.

"Is there such a thing as a rating for a campsite? Yes, campsites are rated by the star system. A campsite may be given a classification of one, two, three or four stars. The decision is taken by prefectural order according to the opinion of the Commission of Departmental Tourism Action (CDAT). The classifications are based on precise standards, concerned with the quantitative aspect of the facilities."

The old Michelin Guide used to rate by such things as:

Average pitch size ie 90-100 squ m., or 80-90 squ m. etc

Surfaced roads, Road lighting, etc

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

It seems as if £20-£30 per night is the going rate wherever we go, as to if we are going to get a good site or not seems to be very hit and miss.

As for a site getting 5 stars that is situated between dual carriageway and a railway line with no facilities other than ablution blocks blows my mind!!

We try and usually go to sites that have been recommended, but not always possible.

I would think there must be a shortage of sites because they always seem fairly full, and a lot of people seem to share the same thoughts as ourselves.

Perhaps we are in the wrong business?!!!

Archived