Wi Fi

Geof  Angi

Guest Tracker
The biggest issue about being locked into a one or two year deal is that it is a quickly changing market with several of the big players like Vodaphone, Orange, O2, Virgin, yet to enter with a competitively priced offer, and until they all join in it is difficult to see where how the playing field will level out?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For our trip to Italy last year I set up my Orange mobile to link with my laptop and contact my BT dial up connection in the UK. The Roaming cost is about 80 pence per minute and obviously the speed of the system is a lot slower than Broadband but I only pay for what I use and it is from the comfort of my own settee.

I used the system primarily for weather forecasts and checking the few emails that I get. The children text any vital information.

I did make personal postcards from the places we visited and sent off 6 identical multiviews with our comments at the same time. Took about one and a half minutes. By my calculations that's cheaper than the cards and stamps ...and the time finding the stamps.

Since then I have reluctantly gone onto Broadband (reluctantly because I have to pay for it when I,m not here) but I'll try wifi on the next trip.

snobbyafghan - 2008-03-06 10:05 AM

Keith

Is this one of those that doesn't work abroad, say in France? Or would it be horribly expensive overseas. Any idea?

Do you download directly to your phone or do you hook the phone up to your laptop?

Doug

It would work abroad, I'm told, but could well be on roaming charges at present in Europe, which would make it very expensive - though they tell me it's Ok in places like Hong Kong....! My purpose was for the Uk, and it seems so far to do that well.

I did make enquiies about some of the other network providers for use aborad, but got much the same answer.

No you don't use the mobile phone, or any other phone, in fact, mereley plug the small modem (the size of a small mobile) into teh USB socket and away it goes.....

Tracker - 2008-03-06 3:52 PM

The biggest issue about being locked into a one or two year deal is that it is a quickly changing market with several of the big players like Vodaphone, Orange, O2, Virgin, yet to enter with a competitively priced offer, and until they all join in it is difficult to see where how the playing field will level out?

True (though Vodafone are in there with a not quite so good deal). Everyone will have to decide for themselves when to jump - same sort of thing as knowing your brand new computer is obsolete almost as soon as you've bought it :-D

For me it was a case of mobile broadband being:

a) more economical than a combination of buying WiFi access cards (e.g. at CC sites) and using my mobile as a modem

b) better coverage than WiFi hotspots

c) higher speed than using the mobile as a modem.

Having thought about it for some time I decided it was worth it for me - but other people will most probably have different criteria.

Graham

Guest Tracker

I can live with the £10 a month if only to get the dongle free - even though it will only ever get used when we are away in the van.

But I can't live with ridiculous charges download when abroad - and as we intend to holiday abroad more than in the UK that is a bit of a bu##er!

Tracker - 2008-03-06 5:52 PM

I can live with the £10 a month if only to get the dongle free - even though it will only ever get used when we are away in the van.

But I can't live with ridiculous charges download when abroad - and as we intend to holiday abroad more than in the UK that is a bit of a bu##er!

Yes I agree, thats why I have held off and why I am now tempted but haven't jumped.

Still tossing up between this and the Datawind Pocketsurfer 2, which I still have reservations about for different reasons.

Bas

Basil - 2008-03-06 8:27 PM

Still tossing up between this and the Datawind Pocketsurfer 2, which I still have reservations about for different reasons.

I looked at that when it was mentioned on a forum a few months ago.

However, already having laptop - and Palm PDA with wireless keyboard - and mobile phone - I thought I had enough bits of kit to weigh me down :-D

Graham

Hi Graham,

Yes same here, but the Datawind PS2 would allow me to leave the expensive laptop at home but still have a similar 'surfing'/ e-mail experience but without the ongoing costs, the Pocket PC (PDA) does all the other things that the laptop does for me with the exception of Skype.

What I am seriously considering is using an Asus Eee PC (or the new £99 Elonex One if the specs can be improved) with a 3G dongle, if I can get the right deal, then I can leave the expensive laptop and the Pocket PC at home and still have everything that they both offer in a much more compact and weight saving package.

Oh decisions, decisions!!

Bas

Basil - 2008-03-07 9:55 AM

Oh decisions, decisions!!

We boys must have our toys musn't we Bas (lol) :D (lol)

I think that in this case justification must come from want rather than need (lol)

Graham

Take your point Graham, however for me I beleive the need is there (also a want, I want to reduce weight and size and have everything in one bundle but without reducing to an unusable mobile phone solution) but the current options were not available (at reasonable on going costs) at the time I purchased my current equipment.

Idealy, and I think possibly for most of us, I would like equipment that will do all a laptop will do with built in WiFi, full mobile internet connection (as the 3G dongle does), ability to use Skype (or whatever) and still be small enough and light enough to carry around concealed without having to resort to the mobile 'Blackberry' type of thing that is not really very good for 'surfing'.

Clearly all this is available as add ons but not in one package. dell are now doing a laptop with built in wireless Broadband but the contract you have to sign up for is prohibitive and it is on an oversized laptop that is at the top of its class weight.

Bas

I'm going to step back one technological generation here. If I use my gprs phone in conjunction with a laptop, I can get internet access (I haven't done it yet but this is the theory). Presumably this is going to just be a dial-up type of connection? Is that right? In which case, couldn't that be done with any old mobile phone.

Forgive these basic questions but I'm like someone trying to learn to swim and finding myself in the fast lane by mistake..!

Doug

Basil - 2008-03-07 10:19 AM

Idealy, and I think possibly for most of us, I would like equipment that will do all a laptop will do with built in WiFi, full mobile internet connection (as the 3G dongle does), ability to use Skype (or whatever) and still be small enough and light enough to carry around concealed without having to resort to the mobile 'Blackberry' type of thing that is not really very good for 'surfing'.

Bas

I look forward to that day Bas and all being well it shouldn't be too long coming.

My PDA and wireless keyboard are small enough to be kept in jacket pockets so all that is needed is a modem equivalent to the dongles which will communicate with the PDA (appropriate standard of mobile phone should do that - mine does via Bluetooth for GPRS already) and a screen which is large enough for comfortable viewing (PDA screen is a bit small).

Once the roll-up screens (which I've been reading about for a couple of years) are perfected it should be possible to carry everything in pockets.

Graham

snobbyafghan - 2008-03-07 10:45 AM

I'm going to step back one technological generation here. If I use my gprs phone in conjunction with a laptop, I can get internet access (I haven't done it yet but this is the theory). Presumably this is going to just be a dial-up type of connection? Is that right? In which case, couldn't that be done with any old mobile phone.

Forgive these basic questions but I'm like someone trying to learn to swim and finding myself in the fast lane by mistake..!

Doug

I was actually asking the same questions a year or so ago (before dongles became available) so I don't think they are basic :-D

Mobile phones can be connected to laptops or PDAs by either cables, infra red or Bluetooth, depending on the capabilities they have. I've used all three and found Bluetooth easiest.

Connection to the Internet can then be achieved by dialing in to a standard phone number (as you might at home if you don't have broadband) or by starting a GPRS session. I found the latter cheaper and faster than the former but setting up the script was a bit of a chew on as I am on Pay As You Talk rather than contract for the phone.

In theory any old phone can be used for standard dial in but you obviously need a GPRS capable (and enabled) phone for GPRS.

You have to watch terms & conditions because, strictly speaking, some companies only really allow you to access the Internet on the phone and say that using it as a GPRS modem is not allowed (even though it works OK if you set it up correctly).

Graham

Graham

OK - thanks. My phone (a Sony-Ericsson 810i) is a GPRS and there is a paragraph in the booklet about hooking it up to a laptop with the cable supplied so that's OK. Whether there will be a problem with the service provider (Virgin) I don't know (I'm referring here to what you say about some companies limiting access to the internet). Like you, I'm on pay-as-you-go.

I must say it's not easy to figure these things out using on-line support. For example, I've tried to set the phone up to receive and send send emails itself (without using a laptop) with no success. I've tried via my email provider (freeserve now owned by Orange); my phone service provider (Virgin) and via the Sony-Ericsson site and it still won't work...! Grrr - frustration. Hopefully using it with the laptop won't be so damn difficult (he said with all fingers crossed).

Doug

Hello Doug,

I've used my PDA and laptop via GPRS on Vodafone and T-Mobile networks but never Virgin.

You need to obtain details of GPRS access points, user names and passwords from Virgin - could well be easiest via e-mail through the contact page (though I found that I had to talk to a techie at Vodafone, rather than normal customer support, in the end).

Graham

Just come from town now and I have been into the Carphone Warehouse and BT shops.

The guy in CW said the internet contract with 3 and AOL that they sell is no good for anyone moving outside the Uk as it is intended for UK only.

The BT shop recommended an "i phone". £35.00 per month for 500 calls and 600 texts. The BT Europe roaming tarrif for the phone bit is 37p per minute at all times. Texts are charged at double the Uk rate, i.e. I will get 300 texts per month instead of 600. The WiFi ability of the phone allows me to access the internet for free at any free WiFi point in Europe. If I am not at a free WiFi point then it is £7 per megabite, (however big one of them is?) If you have a BT mobile contract the it will cost you £270 for the i phone.

Modern technology eh! No wonder we can't keep up! The average age of the people in the shop must have been about 14 and they were texting and computering like nobodies business. Oh! and did I detect a sneering condesending look as I asked my questions or was it me? I contented myself with the thought, "Don't smirk sunshine you'll be here one day!"

Naturally I blame the parents! :-D

From recent posts it looks as though you missed the point of my note at 6.20 yesterday.

I always take my Toshiba Satellite laptop [now a few years old] to collect the many photos that I take and for sat nav preparations for the next journey.

I also have my mobile, usually for emergencies.

So without any further equipment I can get on to the Internet from the comfort of my own van just for the cost of the time I use.

The phone is a Sony Ericsson K500i [again quite old] and it connects successfully to the laptop through an Infrared port on the front of the laptop.

I needed help from Orange to set it up but it worked beautifully in Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.

It costs around 80 pence per minute plus VAT and I use it on my Dial Up connection so it is slower than broadband.

Because of the cost I minimise the time I spend using the system but it does all I need, very comfortably and I feel a lot cheaper than some of the contracts that have been mentioned.

It all depends on how much time you want/need to spend on the Internet.

Syd - 2008-03-07 6:44 PM

From what I understand Vodaphone have around 70/75% of this market and if that is so it must be so for a reason.

Probably historical because Vodafone (largely through work done by Racal in South Africa where a cousin of mine was CEO) did a lot of the development of mobile phone technology.

Syd - 2008-03-07 6:44 PM

Better coverage??

At one time maybe - but I don't think it's the case now.

Graham

snobbyafghan - 2008-03-08 12:35 PM

Would streaming live radio be a heavy user of the download allowance these various packages (from 1 to 3GB per month it would seem) offer?

Doug

Dunno to be honest. Probably best ask somebody like the BBC. There is a contact form HERE.

Graham

Because I have been away from home (dog sitting) this week I had missed this thread, but had been thinking because we hope to have beautiful weather this year we will holiday in the UK and for many reasons while away in the motorhome had been thinking about getting a dongle thing,

So yesterday took ourselves off and looked around asked the questions and we got the 3 on a 12 month contract for the 3 gig at £15 per month so reasonably happy with that after reading through the threads.

Only slight snag was while we were out we seen a new lap-top we liked the look of a Toshiba Satellite X200, so now I will have to learn the ins and outs of the new lap top as well as the 3 dongle. Carol.

Archived