Wi Fi

Geof  Angi

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug

Hi, it was with the car phone warehouse did it on the 6th march. Carol.

Did you not get the reduced price £10/ month for 3Gig deal that was available from that date with Carphone Warehouse then?

Bas

Basil - 2008-03-08 6:50 PM

Doug

Hi, it was with the car phone warehouse did it on the 6th march. Carol.

Did you not get the reduced price £10/ month for 3Gig deal that was available from that date with Carphone Warehouse then?

Bas

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basil, no I did not I paid £15, if you know of a deal that was on for that date of £10 please confirm, because mine will get alltered, thanks Carol.

Hi,

Yes it was advertised in the Metro as 'We won't be beaten on price' was £15/ month now £10 / month (it was pointed out by Graham earlier that this was by redemption at certaim points of the contract), on page 22 phone 0800 049 4448 or visit one of our 805 stores. Free USB modem included and 3GB monthly allowance.

I have just looked at their website and it appears to be 'Web n Walk Plus' on special offer see webpage

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.INTERNET.STATIC.USBMODEM

Bas

P.S. Just spotted, have you got yours with 3G as Carphone Warehouse are offering both 3G and T/Mobile and it is with T/Mobile that they have the offer.

Basil, I have been in touch with car phone warehouse today via the number given, and they tell me the £10 offer for 3 gig is for T mobile on a 24 month contract, and the offer on 3 is as we have it. I did not say that we had alredy purchased it, but that I was making inquiries about the offer advertised, but they assured me it was not on 3. Thank you anyway it was worth a try. Carol.

Yes sorry, as you can see from my PS in my previous post I spotted that possibility on their webpage. I still think it was a bit remiss of them not to advise you and offer that deal when you enquired, it is not as if the Carphone Warehouse are selling only the 3 package, I would feel mis- advised were it me.

Bas

Hi, I recently purchased a Nokia E61 on PAYG with 3 and it apears to meet all of my requirements I am replying to this thread using a free wifi connection but it will also allow me to use 3,s £5 per month internet roaming service, i also use it with Fring and Voipstunt over either the 3 internet roaming £5/month account or any wifi service that is available hope that helps

I have found 3USB Modem quite good so far. providing that is you are in a 3G signal area.

Sometimes I notice it fluctuates between 3G & HSDPA but speed is fairly good for me.

I opted for the £15 a month for the 3Gb and so far haven't used anywhere near that amount. I went for 3 Gb as I wasn't sure how much I would use.

It is cheaper than Caravan Club WiFi charges.

So far used it at: Chapel Lane & Minehead sites.

Ok at Taunton area.

Paignton, Devon OK

Swansea OK

No good at Unity Farm camp site Brean, Somerset.

Although Vodafone have a better signal coverage and I use them for the mobile I thought their fees for usb modem high, although they have now reduced to £15 but still roaming fees are more expensive than "Three".

I did like the fact I could use 3 modem in Italy, ireland & Austria. I just hope they get an agreement with France soon, of course other EU countries would be nice as well.

As we have Broadband at home I didn't want to be paying too much for the convenience of using internet when away in motorhome. Hopefully things will improve cost wise in time to come.

Not at all techy minded so would like to ask for help. Just got laptop and would like to use when away.

I was thinking of using wi fi through BT but reading posts not sure if this is my best option, are signals available in rural areas eg Scotland and Wales ?

Re dongles, when you pay £15 per month what are the roaming fees Zulurita refers to ? is this an extra charge ? My broadband contract has just expired at home and reading the Vodaphone site it looks like I could use dongle at home too, saving 1 contract fee.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi Millie I'm no expert but briefly to use wifi you are dependant on having a wifi point nearby within a few hundred yards.

The dongle route is by using mobile phone technology. There is a sim card in the dongle. This is my prefered choice for the UK.

The roaming side of it refers to over the water in Europe. It is possible to use your dongle but the charges are quite high. Your £15 is only for use in the UK.

£15 for 3GB will give approx 100 hours use a month and providing you are not into downloading music and films I am told should be adequate.

Someone else will probably be along and perhaps give a better explanation..

Pete

If you look at the websites you will find 3 and T Mobile have very similar coverage, besides which they have just entered a joint initiative to share their networks according to a post in another thread on here.

Bas

I researched mobile Wifi in the Autumn as I may move somewhere soon without a landline and of course I travel quite a bit. At that time 3 were the cheapest but I was told that it only worked in a 3G area, which does not exist where I live, so there would be no reception at all. T-Mobile on the other hand gives quite a fast speed in 3G areas and also works at dial-up speed anywhere else that receives mobile signals. So far I have been very pleased with the system and can sometimes pick up 3G in areas that are not supposed to receive any reception anyway, not even at dial-up speed. The modem picks up signals very quickly and is easy to use.

With regards to queries about 3GB a month, I have changed my broadband service provider to PlusNet which is a monthly contract. I generally find that their standard 1GB is enough per month (unless the grandchildren visit!) although to be safe I now have 2GB. Now a widow, I spend a lot of time on-line, particularly in the winter, occasionally download music, surf the web, shop frequently, download lots of emails and read the daily paper on-line too. I can receive free connections between midnight and 8am but rarely bother to stay up. My largest use so far has been 2.1GB over the Christmas period. Therefore 3GB should be more than ample for most people. I think the secret is to surf, not download everything. Hope this helps.

Hi Brian

In late September I phoned both 3 and T-Mobile to get information first-hand after studying the web. At that time 3 was £5 cheaper per month than T-Mobile so the offer was tempting. However I was advised categorically that 3 (for laptops) only worked on 3G signals, not on 2G as T-Mobile did. So, I chose the latter and bought it 5 October 2007. Their service is good with helpful and courteous operators based in England (or posssibly Wales) with local call telephone number which is answered quickly (without "press1 then 2" etc). Texts are about 10p, you need your own ISP for emails (you have to go on their website) and roaming is expensive at £7.50 minute. This system is not Wifi of course but works on phone signals. I think I have read that 3 and T-Mobile are going to share masts to extend the 3G areas. Obviously technology develops so rapidly that my observations may be quite out of date by now.

Thanks Patricia.

I'll probably wander into a 3 shop tomorrow, because I'm considering their offer as a back up to WiFi.  I don't want the dongle option, though, but a 3G phone that I can use as a laptop modem in situations where WiFi isn't available.  I'll be sure to grill them on that very point.  Since seeing the Vodafone version demonstrated on a train, and watching it just switch in, and out, of 3G mode as the 3G signal came and went, I had assumed they all did likewise.

Lesson No 1.  Never make assumptions based on what you've seen, eh??  Thanks again.

Brian,

Until the end of the month the T-Mobile £15 per month/3GB deal includes access to their WiFi hotspots as well. See HERE.

I was a bit disappointed this weekend at Newark show to only get a GPRS signal, rather than 3G, but I'm sure that will improve in time - and it does show that the T-Mobile dongle/software does revert to 2G when 3G isn't available.

Graham

Just a little tip - the information sheet says not to touch the dongle when in use but the technician told me to move it around. He also said to plug in to the two USB ports. If you do it carefully you can get it to receive 3G, especially in the evening. For example, in one room in my house I can only ever get 2G but in another I can get 3G quite frequently - and I am not supposed to get any reception where I live!

Patricia - 2008-03-17 6:33 PM

Just a little tip - the information sheet says not to touch the dongle when in use but the technician told me to move it around. He also said to plug in to the two USB ports. If you do it carefully you can get it to receive 3G, especially in the evening. For example, in one room in my house I can only ever get 2G but in another I can get 3G quite frequently - and I am not supposed to get any reception where I live!

Thanks Patricia.

The (T-Mobile) info sheet says nothing about touching the dongle (or not) when in use and says that the auxiliary connection (2nd USB connection) is only needed when more power is required and the light on the dongle does not come on.

The light has always come on when I've used the dongle but I've noticed that its colour varies depending on the type of signal being received. Next time I'm in an apparently GPRS only area I'll try the auxiliary lead and see if extra power makes a difference.

Graham

Heard on the news that these cash back deals have been outlawed from now on - too many people are forgetting to claim them, they have to be claimed on a specific date only and that is not always clear (i.e. date you buy or date connected?), also too many small dealers have gone out of business.

I have to say I was a bit upset with T-Mobile as I pay £20 month and with my last bill was a leaflet inviting me to sign up for £15 month. However, although I offered to sign a new 24 month contract they would not agree to change my tariff and I know some people are tied in at £30 month. That price dropped last September just the week I signed up so I did gain there. There is obviously a tariff war going on and it might be sensible to wait and see for a while.

GJH - 2008-03-17 7:03 PM
Patricia - 2008-03-17 6:33 PM Just a little tip - the information sheet says not to touch the dongle when in use but the technician told me to move it around. He also said to plug in to the two USB ports. If you do it carefully you can get it to receive 3G, especially in the evening. For example, in one room in my house I can only ever get 2G but in another I can get 3G quite frequently - and I am not supposed to get any reception where I live!
Thanks Patricia. The (T-Mobile) info sheet says nothing about touching the dongle (or not) when in use and says that the auxiliary connection (2nd USB connection) is only needed when more power is required and the light on the dongle does not come on. The light has always come on when I've used the dongle but I've noticed that its colour varies depending on the type of signal being received. Next time I'm in an apparently GPRS only area I'll try the auxiliary lead and see if extra power makes a difference. Graham

Now I'm really confused!  I closely interviewed 3, T Mobile, Vodafone and Orange about their dongles, and they all said no 3G signal, no service, just as Patricia said she had been told. 

However, now you both seem to be saying the T Mobile and 3 dongles do, indeed, switch speed up and down as the 3G signal comes and goes.  This is what I had seen my colleague's Vodafone Air Card doing a couple of years back. 

So, what is going on?  Does the dongle in fact switch to a 2/2.5G signal when the 3G signal fails, or is the light merely changing colour because the 3G signal is weak, and thus slow? 

I was specifically told by all the assistants I spoke to that the data signal could not transfer to the 2/2.5G networks - although I know it can technically because I've used a mobile as a dial up modem to do just that (slowly and expensively!).  Some networks, for example Byoug in France, blocked the data signal, but SFR would permit it. 

I'm sure more of us would use this stuff if the networks would just establish clear, straightforward, rules!

Archived