Wi Fi

Geof  Angi

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my T-Mobile dongle the management software tells you whether the signal received is HSDPA or GPRS and gives an indication of signal strength.

I assumed that as the comms interface is just a SIM card that the software would try to connect at the highest speed and then revert to lower speed if neccessary.

Graham

GJH - 2008-03-21 11:15 PM

With my T-Mobile dongle the management software tells you whether the signal received is HSDPA or GPRS and gives an indication of signal strength.

I assumed that as the comms interface is just a SIM card that the software would try to connect at the highest speed and then revert to lower speed if neccessary.

Graham

My 'three' dongle shows this info, and at the moment I'm on HSDPA, which works Ok, as does 3G. GPRS also sho9ws dependaing on where we are, and sometime it comes up with GPRS/EDGE. I have no idea od what these mean, but it doesn't always give me the internet on some of these, although at a slower speed, I assume, does sometimes get e-mails in. On the whole tho0ugh seems OK.

I have just returned home from a few days (waterlogged!) camping and due to the weather actually used my laptop more than usual with my T-mobile dongle. Most of the time I was on GPRS so the connection was slow but just once it changed to 3G.

I did encounter a new problem though. When using this method to send emails you actually have to go on your ISP website. At the moment I am using Plus.Net. I found that I could read my emails (I could also download them) but when I came to reply or to write a new one a security number box appeared with instructions to copy the letters. No matter how I tried I could not get round this block and Plus.net had no idea how to help me as it did not show up on their screens! I also have email addresses with Tiscali and Wanadoo (France) and I could send, reply and compose with no problems on both these websites.

Another problem I used to have was that the dongle stopped working sometimes even though it showed the 3G light. I found that I had to close down the T-Mobile link, remove the card, replace it and connect again then all was well. Instant (in England) help with T-Mobile thank goodness.

Patricia - 2008-03-29 4:56 PM

I did encounter a new problem though. When using this method to send emails you actually have to go on your ISP website. At the moment I am using Plus.Net. I found that I could read my emails (I could also download them) but when I came to reply or to write a new one a security number box appeared with instructions to copy the letters. No matter how I tried I could not get round this block and Plus.net had no idea how to help me as it did not show up on their screens! I also have email addresses with Tiscali and Wanadoo (France) and I could send, reply and compose with no problems on both these websites.

I'm surprised that Plus.Net couldn't help because it would appear that it is a problem with them if you can use two other services without problems.

My normal e-mail is through my (paid for) account with 1&1 which is the hosting company (as opposed to ISP) I use for my business.

I do still have a dial-up account with UK Online (original one from 1996) which I used before I obtained the T-Mobile dongle when at my Mum's - that account will only let me send messages if I am actually using the dial-up account. I suspect that there is a similar restriction with Plus.Net.

Incidentally, I use Eudora for e-mail whichever Internet access method I use (broadband, dongle or dial-up) and find no problems with it - certainly don't have to use webmail or log on to any ISP account.

Graham

Thank you for your comments Graham. I am back home from my short break now so I shall pursue this problem with Plus.Net. They asked me to send a screen shot but I couldn't fathom out how to do this. I will certainly ask if I need to be using their connection in order to send email. Incidentally I have noticed that emails using the Wanadoo address often take hours to arrive in my inbox.

I should be interested in knowing a bit more about Eudora especially if you can use it withT-Mobile.

Full details of Eudora HERE.

I've used the Sponsored Mode version for years and had no problems.

To take a screenshot, hit Prt Scrn whilst holding down the Ctrl button. That copies the screen to the clipboard and you can paste the image into any application which accepts graphics.

Graham

Patricia - 2008-03-30 7:18 AM

Many thanks for your advice Graham. I will give it a go later and let you know the result with T-Mobile.

Patricia

My pleasure. Drop me a PM if you have problems and I'll see if I can sort them out.

Graham

snobbyafghan - 2008-03-31 2:26 PM

GPRS - I'm OK with that. 3G - yes, I think I know what that is. But in recent posts, HSDPA has been mentioned. What's that?

Doug

As far as I understand it 3G (third generation) is slower than HSDPA (High Speed Data Packet Access) which is classed as 3.5G and allows downloads (only) at very high speeds (up to 8Mbps). The latter may or may not become a standard. This website my be more useful than my poor explanation: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hsdpa.htm.

Patricia - 2008-03-31 3:10 PM

snobbyafghan - 2008-03-31 2:26 PM

GPRS - I'm OK with that. 3G - yes, I think I know what that is. But in recent posts, HSDPA has been mentioned. What's that?

Doug

As far as I understand it 3G (third generation) is slower than HSDPA (High Speed Data Packet Access) which is classed as 3.5G and allows downloads (only) at very high speeds (up to 8Mbps). The latter may or may not become a standard. This website my be more useful than my poor explanation: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hsdpa.htm.

This is a good link, and does make some sense - I'm on it at the moment and the speed seems Ok. I've only noticed it the last couple of days, so maybe it depends on the geographical location. - I'm in Portsmouth and also got it yesterday in Brighton.

I don't think the GPRS signal is good enough to get inetrnet connection, although sometimes seems to pick up e-mails!

All very confusing, and the sooner the signals are 100% over the Uk the better!

Keith T - 2008-03-31 5:03 PM

This is a good link, and does make some sense - I'm on it at the moment and the speed seems Ok. I've only noticed it the last couple of days, so maybe it depends on the geographical location. - I'm in Portsmouth and also got it yesterday in Brighton.

I don't think the GPRS signal is good enough to get inetrnet connection, although sometimes seems to pick up e-mails!

All very confusing, and the sooner the signals are 100% over the Uk the better!

Hi Keith

I take it you mean you are getting HSDPA at the moment in Portsmouth and that you are managing to access that web link? Out of interest which dongle are you using 3 or T-Mobile? With my T-Mobile I can get on the internet with GPRS although it is very slow after broadband (56 kps).

Yes, I'm using a 'three' dongle, which having travelled around the UK over the last 2-3 months has worked well on the whole. SOme areas just have nothing, but we've found teh same on the mobile phones, even Orange, and more suprisingly vodafone.

Like you I hope they soon improve the service. I know that 3 and T-mobile are going to share masts in the near future so maybe it will improve then.

I just missed a programme on Watch Dog about the high charges for data download when abroad (one chap had a bill for over £9000 from T-Mobile!). I only turned the TV on as it was finishing. Did anyone see the programme and fill me in please?

didn't see the programme, but did en quire when I bought the dongle, and there are no reciprocal arrangements in Europe, though I understand there are in places like Hong Kong!!!If in Europe, it would be on normal 'roaming charges', which are prohobitive, and I think from my enquiries, no UK provider has a realistic pricing structure if you are abroad.

Maybe it will come in time!??

Took out an 18 month contract with 3 last week at £7.50 pm (3gb), special offer for 3 customers in the Shrewsbury store at present. Am very impressed, I'm sitting on a campsite now and the reception is only 1 bar but speed perfectly acceptable, not broadband but infinitely better than dial up.

I recommend this to anyone who wants internet on the move fairly cheaply and very easy to operate. Added bonus, I can use it at home as well so don't need broadband.

Peter

Hi Peter

I'm sitting in a Travelodge in Portsmouth and quite agree.....however -

1 I think they seem to bring the rate down each week....when I took mine out the best was £10 for 1Gb per month, and all the others were at least twice as much.

2 The 1Gb allowance seems fine, and I have not been anywhere near that so far

3 Compared to CC wi-fi at £6 per hour, or £25 per week or even £40 per month this is far better

4 I also suspect it may be rather more secure than an 'open' wi-fi connection such as CC or those which are 'free' in many places.

I'd be interested to hear other views on these comments.....

Keith T - 2008-03-31 8:36 PM

didn't see the programme, but did en quire when I bought the dongle, and there are no reciprocal arrangements in Europe, though I understand there are in places like Hong Kong!!!If in Europe, it would be on normal 'roaming charges', which are prohobitive, and I think from my enquiries, no UK provider has a realistic pricing structure if you are abroad.

Maybe it will come in time!??

Exactly. It appears that wi-fi contracts that work abroad are big money. Most European towns now have cyber-cafes and in my experience the costs of €2-5 per hour cannot be matched. Unless you are lucky and get an unsecured wi-fi signal B-)

The Watchdog programme highlighted the users of mobile phones OUTSIDE THE UK who also use them for Emails etc. This mainly revolved around the cost per Mb used.

Recently Companies have been forced to reduce 'phone call' charges but it seems they still have a free-hand at charging whatever they like for Internet use.

The £9,000 case was I believe a young person who downloaded or used either music or games, and it appeared from what was shown that his parents were footing the cost!

BUT............ mobile phone companies are still (quite legally) at liberty to grossly over charge for non 'telephone use' outside the UK.

LB

Does this make sense to anyone?

Orange France are offering a WiFi dongle 3G+/EDGE for 99 euros less 70 euros refunded therefore you are only paying 29 euros. That's straight forward.

Then the charges are:

20 mins valid for 24 hrs 3 euros

2 hrs valid 30 days 15 euros

Evenings after 6pm 12 euros

Weekends valid from Wednesdays 15 euros

My French isn't good enough to be able to interpret the full offer, maybe someone else can.

http://www.orange.fr/bin/frame.cgi?u=http%3A//sites.orange.fr/boutique/files/html/pe_pack_pccard_1.html

Archived