FRENCH ROAD MAP

booboo

We use the michlen map of France from wh smiths this is a large folding type map and when we are on the road we have the rac europe road atlas

also from w h smiths beware road number sometimes differ from the road signs to maps this we think is due to european road numbers differing to french this we think is due to european road numbers. Both are very good.You could also go on web site Vicuous books they spealise in maps and guides and do some books on aries in english and are very quick at sending things out.

colin - 2008-03-02 10:26 PM My preferance is 'Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas' the scale at 1/200000 shows quite a bit of detail and the large pages cover a resonable area

Seconded!  Make sure you get a 2008 edition; it is updated each year, and a lot of road numbers are currently being changed in France.  Also, make sure you get the spiral bound version, it is far easier to use folded flat as the sheets are quite large.

After holidaying in France for 15 years and then living here for the last 7 years we have found that it is much easier when looking at maps and signs to look for the towns etc and not the road numbers initially. There have been so many changes to the road numbers within the last 20 years it is hard to keep up with them. Although we now have a SatNav we also use an up-to-date map. Michelin maps seem to be the best over here.

We only use a cheapo, I believe it is either Collins, Phillips or AA, map. We use SatNav and only use the map to check as we go, never had a problem yet with the SatNav but you must use it as a tool and watch where you are driving.

We would not return to paper based maps in preference, it is just to much hassle and we value our relationship too much.

Bas

I always use Michelin maps in Europe. The other maps don't have all the villages marked on them.

The first time I travelled to Spain and Portugal I kept getting lost, pitched up in a village somewhere, and couldn't find the place on my map ( AA in this instance).

When I found a garage, I ditched the AA map, bought a set of Michelin maps and didn't have a problem thereafter or since.

You really should get these maps......it will save a lot of frustration !!

I used the michelin maps until my daughter bought me an AA road atlas France book by mistake, I now find this much better and would not go back.

It has a very good route planner at the front, a good scale and is from the official french mapping agency, Obviously its personal choice.

If you can afford it, buy the AA France Map for route planning, it is a lot easier to follow when motoring or planing a route together with a MIchelin

The Michelin is great and has a lot of detail, which is useful when used in a local in an area, but maybe too much when looking at getting from A to B.

The large bookshop chains tend to sell both, take a look see and order off the internet.

Rgds

Thanks alot everybody once again everybodys been really helpfull !now time to get wallet out again and to my favourite past time and spend it quicker than i seem to earn it , wish they gave gold medals for it id be olympic champion :-D CHEERS KEITH

Guest Tracker
The AA Easy Read Atlas at 1": 2.8 miles is, as it says, easy to read and CLEARLY shows where the toll booths are and where the toll roads start and end.

Just to clarify(or confuse) the opinions seem to be Michelin or AA, note they both do different scale atlas's, I have the larger scale Michelin and smaller scale AA, one of the reasons I prefer Michelin is printing is easier to read, this may also be true of larger scale AA but I'm not sure.

We've got the AA Big Easy Read France, it's great, spiral bound so no pages to drop out as you turn it over - it's big though at nearly A3 size and a fair weight but after trying various other maps I wouldn't be without it. It makes doing the 'where shall we go tomorrow' planning much easier. We us it in conjunction with our Tom Tom satnav (PDA) so have the best of both worlds. Using satnav on it's own is okay but if it dies you're a bit stuck ... I know from experience!

Just bought today in Smiths a Michelin France 2008 Tourist and Motoring Atlas but about A4 size instead of the old one we had which was much larger and a damn nuisence to cope with in the cab.

Happy touring.

Archived