Aires de camping car on tomtom

Minstrel

Thanks.

AireCampingCar.com is the website I use for looking at aires, but gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp..... or do as I did and google aires de camping car for TomTom.

I'm just afraid I'll mess up the Tomtom and as we leave for our skiing trip on saturday I'll be on the doghouse if I do mess it up.

Hi,

We have Aires de camping cars loaded on our TT 710 , it is fine, only problem we found last week when away in Germany and Belgium it was very out of date. One evening we went to 5 different places listed in the book and on the TT and everyone had closed or been built on, having said that we are as guilty as most by not informing them so they can remove them in the next publication.

If you down load and then when you get there you find the Aire is no where to be found, try putting the co ordinates out of the book into the TT and twice we found it took us to a completely different place and there was the Aire.

Plays nice tunes though when you pass through villages and towns that do have Aires.

Good luck I am sure you will do fine and she won't be slinging you off the top of the mountain to find your own way home.

Mandy

Installation instructions.

Firstly, I'm not sure what you know so please excuse me if I assume you know nothing?

1.  ALL downloaded POIs sit in your map folder so back this up to your PC before you start.

2.  Each POI has a BMP icon which shows on the map (if requested) and an OV2 file which are the locations of the POI.  Whichever POI you decide to install, make sure they are in 'pairs'.

3.  Download the zipped POI and save it to your PC.

4.  Unzip the POI and copy them to the map folder on your device.  Your map folder may say Western_Europe or Central_and_Western_Europe or something like that.

5.  To see the POIs displayed on your map as you are driving along do the following:-

6.  Go to Main Menu 2 of 3 and select Browse Map

7.  Select Options and put a tick in the Points of Interest box.

8.  Whilst in this screen select POI

9.  Scroll down to you see the POI you want to have shown on the map and put a tick in the box.

10.  Have a very welcome G & T :-)

Minstrel - 2008-03-03 5:14 PM Way2go Many thanks, I expect this method also works with the low bridges - but do I need them- we are 3.1 metres high?

Well, that's up to you really ;-)

The lowest bridge I could find in the list was 10ft (3.048m).

Hi W2G - I've got another one for you please

I've just bought a TT720. I've been able to download a lot of stuff when linked to TT Home, including Aires. Thing is I'm finding this procedure very long winded and feel I must be missing something.

The screen I'm using defaults at a "Recommended" list of POI's covering the whole of the mapped regions held on the device. Additionally I can select POI's for specific countries and this naturally throws up some POI's that don't qualify for the global "Recommended" list. The thing is each list of POIs is quite extensive but you only appear to be able to select one item at a time for down loading to the device. The screen then re-sets its self and you've got to go thro a lengthy process to download everything you need. Where am I going wrong sir?

Vernon

Vernon B - 2008-03-03 8:13 PM Hi W2G - I've got another one for you please I've just bought a TT720. I've been able to download a lot of stuff when linked to TT Home, including Aires. Thing is I'm finding this procedure very long winded and feel I must be missing something.

What you're missing Vernon is the fact that you're using TomTom HOME for this purpose.  I only use HOME for software updates, map share updates and the quickGPSfix file.  Nothing else.

You're better off going to to a POI web site, download as many as you want, then copy them across to the map folder in one go.

I've always been a 'behind the screens' person and know that whatever I've done is done correctly as opposed to 'click here'.

THE best way I found was to set up all my POI downloads using the free POIEdit software.  It's a bit labour intensive setting it up but you only have to set it up once.  Then, once a week just run 'update now' and it will download them all again and update older ones with newer ones if available.

Then copy across the folder contents to your device (but NOT the .INF files) and your device is updated.

One of the guides I wrote and posted showed how to do this.

W2G

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm . . . . it's the english one ;-)

Don't forget that it will download a .OV2, .BMP and .INF file for each POI.  Do NOT copy across the .INF file to your TomTom as you can't read the POI description.

With this in mind. set up the auto-download to go to a folder on your PC then manually copy across the updated files to your TomTom's map folder minus the .INF files.

W2G

Way2Go - 2008-03-18 7:55 AM

http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm . . . . it's the english one ;-)

Don't forget that it will download a .OV2, .BMP and .INF file for each POI.  Do NOT copy across the .INF file to your TomTom as you can't read the POI description.

With this in mind. set up the auto-download to go to a folder on your PC then manually copy across the updated files to your TomTom's map folder minus the .INF files.

W2G

I  used your POI edit download and I noticed it changed all the existing .OV2, files, in my existing folder they now show a little icon in the middle of the frame.

When I open them  they show a window on my desktop with all details including map co-ordinates  is it O.K to copy these updated O.V 2 files to my T.T. on top of my existing poi.s.?

Why I am asking this question is that the p.o.i.s on my TT dont show the co-ordintates. Thanks for your help maggy for John.

maggyd - 2008-03-18 7:07 PM 

I  used your POI edit download and I noticed it changed all the existing .OV2, files, in my existing folder they now show a little icon in the middle of the frame.

In your existing folder you should have a .BMP and a .OV2 for each POI.  Once set up all that happends is that the .OV2 file gets overwritten with a newer more up to date one.  It sounds like you are trying to view or open the the file.

When I open them . . .

Don't open them - just copy them to your device. 

The .OV2 file contains the co-ordinates of each location of the POI you have downloaded therefore I would expect it to show map co-ordinates . . . . again, you seem to be trying to open the file?

Just copy them across to your map folder but NOT the .INF files. 

Archived