Dusseldorf via holland

Dave Newell

Hi all, in August we intend to go to the Dusseldorf caravan salon again but this time in the motorhome. We plan to take a week to get there, the first weekend of the show there then bimble back home over the following week. I'm thinking of going out on the Harwich to Hook of Holland route then cross the Netherlands over a few days arriving in Dusseldorf on the Friday. Then on the Monday starting back in a reverse direction but possibly taking in a day or two tourting in Germany. I'm open to suggestions for a relaxed route and pleasant campsites in Holland along the way. Also any particular places of interest we could visit.

Please don't bother suggesting Dover-Calais and going through France, I know many of you love the place but I have no desire to see any of it on this trip. I have nothing against France in particular but I also have no desire to go there yet. :-D

D.

Hi Dave

I finally got round to joining the forum.

We’ve just booked the Harwich – Hook of Holland ferry through the Camping club, It was around £180 round trip for the two of us plus 6metre camper. We travel out in late May and return early July. Not used this ferry before so I’ll let you know how we get on.

According to Autoroute it’s about 160miles looks a fairly direct route.

Don

The wine festival at Berkastel Kues might coincide. Had a quick look at web today

http://www.bernkastel.de/cms/cms/front_content.php?idcat=189

but couldn't see a date yet. Last year it started halfway through salon week so we went for first w/end then drove down to the Moselle.

BK is a pretty town, centre of the wine area. Massive wine sampling festival started on the Thursday with exceptionally good live music in nearly every spare corner. Not just oompah but international folk and a bit of everything else and a really lively atmosphere.

Local growers take market stalls on bank of Moselle. You can work your way down the line with a glass here and another there. On Sunday, the wine growers parade down through the village in a big carnival. Take a glass. Every time a float passes, - the farmer will fill you up with his own brew. Even if you prefer red wine, it's fun to compare the myriad flavours of so many white wines from one region.

Later in the day there was THE MOST spectacular firework display.

There is a stellplatz but the council give it over to a (big) fair. You just drive another 2 clicks down the road (beyond the lock) and 4 hectares of meadow are available for camping cars next to the campsite (which will be full).

It's a bit of a schlep south from D'dorf but great fun and the Moselle valley is quite stunningly beautiful.

regards

Thanks Don, I look forward to your report, enjoy :-D :-D .

Thanks for the suggestion Hughmer, it truly looks wonderful but its a bit further South than we really have time to travel. Maybe next year?

I'm really looking for sites/places of interest in holland/netherlands between Hook of Holland and Dusseldorf and perhaps a little further north on the return journey. We have sixteen days and three of them will be at Dusseldorf and another four travelling from Telford to Harwich and back. I don't intend to be driving every day as this is our one big holiday this year and I would like some R&R. :D

D.

Could it be Dave that when a Dutchman sees your UK number plate he makes a B line for us and opens a conversation immediately in perfect English so as to both practice and demonstrate his skill, whereas a Frenchman will just look at you waiting for you to take your first faltering steps in his language before revealing that his commant of English is far better than our command of French.

Holland aint half flat though! and its warmer the further south you go.

Expect we will see you there one way or another.

C.

Haven't been on that crossing for quite a few years as it used to be a bugger for getting held up by customs for drug searches, last time I came throu on a coach, I was the only person on boat who didn't get searched, apparently we had been told to que at customs desks untill searched, I just walked straight throu, gf said a lot of attention was paid to her Eno's.

The campsite at Middleburg is very nice and within walking distance of the very pretty town. If you have bicyles with you, you can be at the seaside within an hour.

Also the city campimg at Deventer is worth a vist as it is situated across the river from, again a ptetty town. There is a small person/bike ferry which costs a few cents and connects you with the town.

Further south in the "Dutch Mountains" south of Maastricht there are numerous sites.

Hope this is of some help.

valkenburg is good ,there is the 3 land point there, you are on the borders of holland, germany & belgium. Venlo where i live now is nice. in germany you have got Kleve, Goch & surrounding areas. witch are all nice places. in valkenburg there are a couple of campings, in venlo as well, in germany you can go on the stellplatzen there is everything you need.

if you want more info let me know

john

One thought is than you don't make any plans until you have visited the show. There are always a lot of tourist info exhibitors and plenty of campsite leaflets as well. If you want to check out last years exhibitors go to http://www.messe-duesseldorf.de/caravan/en/kati_en.html. You'll probably find most of them will attend again.

You could also look at the Recreation guide from the show which covers the surrounding area, germany, and includes campsites and stellplatze.

http://www.messe-duesseldorf.de/caravan/en/ba_factsfigures.html

;-)

Hi Dave

Being Dutch myself and living in England, we go to Holland about once a year now.

There is a site just outside Delft, Delftse Hout, website in English: http://www.delftsehout.co.uk/ which is very popular. Close to Delft itself, a nice walk, or bike-ride away, or there is a bus which stops nor far from the site. From Delft itself there are good transport links to other, bigger towns, like The Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam etc. Only downside to this site is that it is quite near the motorway, so some noise is inevitable.

This site takes Camping Cheques, but as you are going in August perhaps of no use to you, don't know when they start taking them.

You particularly mentioned the south of Holland. As has been mentioned, there is a site at Middelburg, but that is quite a way out of your way, if you are en route to Germany.

My own personal opinion is that the province of Brabant is really nice. We have stayed at Ter Spegelt, in Eersel, website in English: http://www.terspegelt.nl/en/

It is an ACSI site, so again, not sure when they start accepting it, and price was 14 Euros a night, it has a lovely pool (indoor). If you have bikes, then there are some wonderful bike-routes. All signposted, from there we did one trip, cycling, into Belgium.

We have also stayed in Valkenburg. That is about the most hilly area you will get in Holland. Valkenburg is very touristy, but a lovely little town. From there you can get a train to other towns, like Maastricht and also over the border just into Germany. Site we have stayed at include: Den Driesch, right next to the town, website, English version: http://www.campingdendriesch.nl/en/index.lp

Also De Bron, a bit further out, a good half an hour's walk, but much quieter, website (no English version, so you'll have to make to with the pictures!!): http://www.camping-debron.nl/

We have also stayed in the area around Arnhem, but that is in the east, and you mentioned the south of the country. If you would like to know where these were, let me know and I'll let you know.

Holland is a great country, but then I would say that . :-D

Ina.

Hello Mr.Newell,

Just like to point out how easy motorhome parking is in Harwich.You can overnight quite easily on the road at Marine Parade or on the seafront at Harwich between Mayflower Avenue and Harbour Crescent. No charge,yet. Here you have good views of the endless comings and goings of all sizes of shipping.The usual proviso of yoof and pub tipping out times apply at weekends.

Couple of decent restaurants/bars in Old Harwich as well as a Camra pub.

Ferries and now very large and comfortable.

Is Dexter travelling with you?Dex and my old Jack got on well last year at your depot.Well they did as soon as Dexter learnt size means very little to a JR.

Dog and i always have a ramble in the evenings,i will remember your van and say hello.

The local cl is poor value imho and the touring pitches at Harwich camp site are attached to a holiday home park and can be noisy during school holidays.

Hope this helps.

N

Archived