LED nut/bolt security light

Rees

We have a Sigma security system installed in our Mirage 5000, with the flashing red LED installed in the dash board. But when the silver screens are up, this cannot be seen from outside. So, I would like to instal a second LED which will flash externally when the van is alarmed. I have seen these installed in a headlight (flashing blue light) and elsewhere. Where can I buy the LED lamp holder? Where best to instal it so that outsiders will see that the van is alarmed when we sleep?

If you are going to add another LED lamp you need to know first if the existing one fitted has an integrated current limiting resistor or not as this will determine the type you might purchase and how you connect it in.

I believe you would do better to just re-locate the LED thats already fitted to a place that suits you. Its safest and does not compromise the electrical integrety of the circuit.

Take care

C.

I cheated and put a Halfords flashing LED (£3 ??) permently flashing mounted in the awning light cover, feed taken from the cupboard light. Its been flashing now for a year with no ill effect.

So it looks as if the alarm is on even if I forget to set it.

(Thats given the game away !)

rgds

Check to see if your alarm has an 'earthed when armed ' terminal, most have nowdays to operate things such as central locking with the arming. If it has then I would fit flashing LED's, available from most car accessory shops, connected with a permanent (fused) supply and the negative to the ground on arm connection. This has the advantage that you don't draw current through the circuit within the alarm.

Bas

tonyishuk - 2008-03-05 12:36 PM

I cheated and put a Halfords flashing LED (£3 ??) permently flashing mounted in the awning light cover, feed taken from the cupboard light. Its been flashing now for a year with no ill effect.

So it looks as if the alarm is on even if I forget to set it.

(Thats given the game away !)

rgds

That's a good idea Tony. I'm going to "pinch" it and make it my project for tomorrow !

Archived