Glass hob top

MalcolmE

My cook for the last 40 years recently left the gas on when she closed the glass hob top in our Laika camper van. It exploded. Unless I can find a replacement I am threatening to change either the van or the cook.

It is a three burner Smev hob but I am having difficulty working out which model. It looks like the 4 burner Series 4000 - 5000 in the installation booklet I have.

The smashed bit is independent of the hob. It is a 50 x 40 cm piece of glass which pushes in to hinges at the back and with a bent support at the front which keeps it comfortably above the burners. I think it is 5mm glass, presumably 'toughened'. Local glass people want over £50 for supplying the glass alone. And the official replacement has been quoted at well over £120

Can I do it cheaper?

Hi Malcolm- I would get more quotes from glazing suppliers, the type that sell sheet glass to the trade, they will send it off to be toughened when they have a batch of other work to be done, it normally pays to shop around. chas

njw - 2008-03-06 7:35 PM

I have a smev cooker but when i shut the lid on mine the gas goes out as a safety feature,i thought all hobs had this .

No they don't, ours doesn't and also case ours has a warning screenprinted on it telling you not to close it down until the burners had cooled down after use.

Bas

Archived