Spongy wall - DAMP!!??

phantom

Hi all

need some advise.

When we bought our motorhome - 1994 Elddiss Autoquest 320d six months ago from dealer there was staining in the corner of the bathroom but was reassured that it had been purely internal dampness from bathroom use and must say that area feels solid. However a couple of patches in the centre of the wall feel slightly soft when pressed and has a wee brown tinge - part of the paper a few inches to the left and beside the plastic bathroom unit is a patch of what looks like pinholes in the paper although area is not soft.

Have I got damp?

Will this be coming in from the outside?

How should it be fixed - what should the dealer be telling me he needs to do as it has a years warranty?

Is there anything I can do? How do I know it has been fixed?

Big thanks in advance.

Phantom

There are no funny smells

Prety sure from your description that it has a leak somewhere and that the skin may need to be removed, the insulation and perhaps the timberwork in that area replaced and re-skinned. It might also be a seal around a window thats given out or a joint in the bodywork.

Do it quick in a friendly but formal manner in writing.

As its in warranty get it done now and don,t put up with any excuses.

C.

First, take some good photos of the areas, expecially the pinholes. Then get in touch with the dealer and follow it up in writing, make sure they know you want it sorting out and soon. By having the photos if they claim that it was something you've caused and therefore nothing to do with the warranty, you've at least got the photos to show the pinhole marks from the damp meter that they've used! It should definitely be covered by the warranty - make sure they know it!

Sounds like a classic opportunity to do a bit of detective work with a damp meter Phantom. If you do a search under damp meter for "all posts" you'll find a lot of useful info. A reasonably accurate instrument can be purchased for a few pounds and this will give you a far better idea of the extent of any problem, and a better basis on which to contact the dealer.

Hopefully you'll just be suffering from "new owner worries"

Vernon

phantom - 2008-03-05 2:08 PM Hi all need some advise. ................... was reassured that it had been purely internal dampness from bathroom use and must say that area feels solid. However a couple of patches in the centre of the wall feel slightly soft when pressed and has a wee brown tinge - part of the paper a few inches to the left and beside the plastic bathroom unit is a patch of what looks like pinholes in the paper although area is not soft. Have I got damp? .............

It is a little difficult to understand why the wall should be damp stained from washroom use, unless the area concerned is in the shower enclosure.  If it is beneath a towel rail, it may have become mildewed by the presence of perpetually damp towels, but otherwise your description does sound like water damage.  Whether that is coming from inside or outside will mainly depend on the position of the soft patch relative to the shower.  If it is not in an area wetted by showering, it most likely is from outside. 

If you have some reservations about what you were told by your dealer, why not take the van to a different caravan/motorhome dealer, and ask them if they can do you a damp test in this area?  If the result is positive, apart from doing as Clive suggests, take the van to your dealer, with the damp test results which you can show them, give them the opportunity to test and inspect it themselves, and ask them what they will do and, at least as importantly, when.  If they test and say the results are negative, get them to agree that you get a further test carried out, at another, different, dealership, and if that result also shows positive, they get their meter re-set or replaced!  I know of one case where a dealer rejected water ingress claims based on his meter's readings, but when shown other readings that were positive, tested his meter and found it U/S.  It can happen!

I have not seen dealers nor repairers using damp meters with pins for a long time. Sensors are the thing now, my Son-in-laws sense water over an inch into the body work and give a reading in % of water. Over 20% check it out, over 40% strip it down it's serious. Using the old pin type of damp meter makes pin holes all over the van when not required. As your 'van is still under warranty get it back to the dealer. Like Brian says get an independant damp check before you go back, good repair companies will do you one for nothing.

Archived