Stand Alone Awning VW T5

monty

Is there anyone out there with experience of stand alone awnings for a rising roof VW T5 (Bilbo Celex)?

I currently have a Dorema Highlander and find it a bit of a faff to put up, but due to the limited space in the VW we always feel it necessary to put it up.

I am tempted by the Khyam Quick erect type, but in a rising roof short wheelbase VW they look to be too bulky to fit in the boot.

Also looked at Outdoor Evolution Navigator whcich looks like it would fit the bill.

I would be grateful for any help, although I note from looking at the forum there doesn't seem to be many panel van owners amongst contributors - Am I right?

I own a 91 VW Transporter, I'm sure there are plenty of panel vanners in this forum.

The only thing I can tell you about awnings is that we got one for our van (can't recall the make) two years ago and we used it for all of four days - we managed without one for 14 years and I now know it was a waste of space, time and money.

Don't get me wrong it's a good enough awning and we all have different needs, not for us though, just thought it was.

Which-ever type you have still takes up precious space in a wee van unless you can put it on the roof.

Cheers,

Greg.

It's definitely a trade off between the space it takes up being carried and the extra space you get when you are on site.

For our use we couldn't be without one, and would find the van on its own way too small. But the advantage of the small van is that I use it for driving to work and much prefer it to a car for everyday use.

I guess that when we are on site it is more like camping - maybe I should save a fortune and get a vw caravelle and a tent......

I would still be interested in other thoughts on awnings, anyone?

Archived