Vacuum Toilets

Guest Roy Hamilton

Guest Roy Hamilton
On the 15th Sept "John" asked about vacuum toilets and I see that there have been no replies. If he has not already seen it I would direct him to Andy Stothert's comments about these in his report on the Marquis Starmist in the latest issue of MMM. This item does not seem to be a great idea if it is as reported.

I too was interested in them, designing my own conversion and attracted to the idea of the cassette being able to be placed remotely from the toilet. AutoCruise have fitted them as standard on some models and I had a long chat with their designer at the NEC. Unfortunately, the one on his show model was pumping continuously and refusing to cut out. Plus the pump was very noisy. So I stuck to Thetford, avoiding the new bench model which several suppliers told me was more flimsy than older models. These are of course opinions and hearsay, but any supplier wishing to carve out a section of a market needs to deal with perceptions as well as reality!

Thank you also Mel for your input. We decided to try the vacuum as it was tried and tested for years on boats and has a good report in that context. John

Would just add that we contacted Autocruise and their technical rep spoke highly of the toilet system and asserted they were considering putting them in more of their vans. John

Archived