What if?

Hi,

What should you do if you lose or break a number plate while you are abroad? Personally, I would be loath to post the required paperwork to any firm in the UK.

I saw a sign in a French garage saying that numberplates for French cars can only be made in France. I'm not aware that a similar rule applies to UK cars. ?????

I remember meeting a US couple touring France in a US car. In their home state, cars did not have a front plate, and this was causing them problems in France......so they had a front plate made up. Three letters, three numbers, on a white background....looked just like a UK plate.

Personally, if I had trouble getting a "proper" replacement locally, I'd cobble a temporary one together (cardboard or whatever) to show willing, and keep the broken one to show anyone who challenged it. If you have access to a computer (internet cafe?) you can put together something that looks fairly smart, and maybe find someone who'd laminate it?

But not yet being retired, I'm never away for more than a month at a time. If I was away for longer it would be more of a problem. Are UK number-plate shops allowed to accept a photocopy of the V5?

If you go to the Peterborough/York show you can get spare numberplates made up quite cheaply they are called show plates, you can also order them on line with no paper work (Craigs plates) I think, they are not as much as from normal outlets, (we always carry a spare set) just a idea. Carol.

Guest Tracker

Many dealers simply stick plates on with double sided sticky pads and this is why you sometimes see cars with a missing plate.

If you are lucky, it simply fell off - or maybe it was stolen for cloning purposes?

I always drill and securely pop rivet the number plates on every vehicle I own so if someone wants it they either have to break it or use tools to get it.

If you go into any Decathlon store they sell a DIY number plate for trailer of temporary use. Here they are about 12 euros. Bought one a few months ago for our trailer. They come as a yellow plate with a full set of black stickers and instructions for making any letters or numbers you require.

Also, if you have your registration document with you ( a must have) then any Feu Vert (French Halfords type place) will make a number plate for you.

Tracker - 2008-03-12 9:39 AM

I always drill and securely pop rivet the number plates on every vehicle I own so if someone wants it they either have to break it or use tools to get it.

One of my customers has a fancy car that has airbag wiring in the front bumper, so the plates have to be stick on, not drilled............or you could set off the airbags :-D

or so I've been told anyway

Guest Tracker
handyman - 2008-03-12 11:22 AM

Tracker - 2008-03-12 9:39 AM

One of my customers has a fancy car that has airbag wiring in the front bumper, so the plates have to be stick on, not drilled............or you could set off the airbags :-D

or so I've been told anyway

In which case I would find a way of adding to the sticky fixings to such an extent that the plates will never come off!

Supaglue and silicone are just two of the weapons at my disposal!

Guest Tracker
Clive - 2008-03-12 3:41 PM

You cannot beat stainless steel bolts and Nylok nuts!

It's no good trying to beat them Clive - you just need to tighten yer nuts once and for all!

Hi,

So an equivalent and acceptable plate CAN be made in France. Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I could always use my trailer plate on the rear end....provided I didn't drive off without the trailer.

Oh yes, French numberplates must be RIVETTED on. How long before we have to harmonise with that? Bring back the days when a sign-writer painted your number straight onto the body :-S

Guest Tracker

If all else fails write it on with a felt tip pen.

Not a lasting solution but better than nowt maybe?

Do you all carry a black felt tip pen in your tool and odds and sods box?

(I do!)

Hi,

If you buy a number plate as a show plate and fit it to your vehicle you are breaking the law, if a number plate dealer sells you a show plate that represents a "normal" number plate he is breaking the law. All new number plates must now show the supplying dealers postcode so that they can be traced.

If you are worried about losing a plate why not carry a legal spare set?

Guest Tracker
Probably more chance of the windscreen breaking - but not many of us carry a spare windscreen - although Clive might!

Archived