Aluminium refillable gas bottles

fjmike

I had just made my mind up that the sensible combination for refillable gas bottles was a aluminium MTH with a Le Cube. This would give me the best flexibility and be the lightest option. Now I read that getting a aluminium refillable gas bottle may not be the best move due to corrosion in the aly bottle caused by the gas, does anyone know if this is a cause for concern or if it would be a viable option???. I do intend to keep my Pilote long term so don't want to be forking out for a replacement refill gas bottle.

Does anyone know if Gaslow do a lighter bottle or if they intend too?

Guest Tracker

For the minimal extra weight of a steel gas bottle and bearing in mind that you don't even have to carry it yourself I would play safe and stick with steel.

Calor Gas used aluminium for a while but gave up after corrosion problems and whilst technology may have moved on since then - equally it may not - in spite of what the sellers might say!

fjmike - 2008-03-12 12:16 PM

I had just made my mind up that the sensible combination for refillable gas bottles was a aluminium MTH with a Le Cube. This would give me the best flexibility and be the lightest option. Now I read that getting a aluminium refillable gas bottle may not be the best move due to corrosion in the aly bottle caused by the gas, does anyone know if this is a cause for concern or if it would be a viable option???. I do intend to keep my Pilote long term so don't want to be forking out for a replacement refill gas bottle.

Does anyone know if Gaslow do a lighter bottle or if they intend too?

The new bottles from MTH are treated internally to prevent corrosion. The old Calor bottles were subject to corrosion, hence their removal from sale.

I believe you will find that the lighter Spanish cylinders are made from thinner guage steel, like the new lightweight ones available over here.

Chief - 2008-03-12 8:36 PM

The new bottles from MTH are treated internally to prevent corrosion. The old Calor bottles were subject to corrosion, hence their removal from sale.

Hmmm, so they say but they did not convince me as they were unable to quote what/ how they were protected or what with, or able to show any form of prolonged testing to prove the fact. Still sceptical, only time will tell.

Bas

Bas

If you can wait 10 years then I will let you know

(lol)

BTW did you know , ALL privately owned gas bottles (not Calor exchange or sim) like MTH, Gaslow have to be pressure tested every 10 years by EEC ruling. I know Gaslow say longer, but technically wrong. has to be 10 years.

Chief - 2008-03-12 8:36 PM

Reassuring thanks.

Will be getting mine next week, and thanks for info re pressure testing every 10years.

Guest JudgeMental
Basil - 2008-03-13 1:46 PM

Do you know I can buy a Fiat Ducato with no leaks and no reverse gear problem, it must be so because Fiat has told me there is no problem and everything is protected now!! :-S :-S :-S

Bas

Spot on Basil, most on here know about my history with poorly installed system. So, to say I am cautious regards claims of reliability is an understatement lol.

IMO really not worth the risk with aluminum bottles - just to save a few KG?. So what if they are "guaranteed". Fat lot of use if you are in the alps on a winter holiday and you have a gas failure what use a guarantee then *-)

Hi Judge n Tracker,

I agree Judge, it seems to me that it's all very well being told they are ok but as with the regulator problems, and the FIAT ones come to that, it doesn't help if you get the problem and you are stuck somewhere with gas blockages a company like Calor is not going to discontinue the use of something for no good reason. Looking on the Alugas site (as mentioned by Dave) there is no mention of there being any special coating and besides would I trust a coating for ten or fifteen years, I'm not sure.

I can see no benefit in ally over steel other than the weight. As for advantages when we used them on our caravan they were beneficial as it helped to keep the noseweight down, something that can be a problem with caravans. However I see little benefit for FIXED cylinders as the affect on payload is minimal, i.e.12Kg on two cylinders, so any advantage would only be when manhandling them which of course you don't do with refillables unless I am missing something!

Bas

Basil - 2008-03-13 9:26 PM

However I see little benefit for FIXED cylinders as the affect on payload is minimal, i.e.12Kg on two cylinders, so any advantage would only be when manhandling !

Bas

That is unless you are a bit tight on your payload then every Kg saved is another bottle or three of wine that can be brought back :-D

Tracker - 2008-03-13 4:30 PM

So good peoples - just what is the benefit of aluminium over steel if the weight is not an issue?

The MTH aluminium ones were also £100 cheaper than Gaslow fitted.

Does that help?

Chief - 2008-03-14 10:08 AM

Does that help?

Interesting that, I wonder how that is when the Alloy ones are priced dearer to buy per cylinder than Gaslow's?

Bas

The answer, surely, is to take up the issue of coatings with the cylinder maker? 

Since they are sold for carrying/storing LPG, they must (legally) be suitable for that use.  Aluminium cylinders seem common in Germany, so much so that Burstner and Hymer, as two examples, both base their payload calculations on the use of aluminium cylinders. 

Only a suspicion, because I don't know, but it sounds a bit as though Calor used raw aluminium for their cylinders, whereas the others are presumably anodised (or similar, or possibly plastics coated) internally. 

If the cylinder manufacturer (as opposed to the fitter/supplier) is a well established firm, of some substance, and they offer a convincing guaranty on the cylinders in their own name, I can't see real grounds for concern.

Guest Tracker

I'm no metalurgist but there are many different grades of aluminium and maybe an 'aircraft' grade or similar with anti corrosive properties is being used?

Brian Kirby - 2008-03-14 11:28 AM

The answer, surely, is to take up the issue of coatings with the cylinder maker? 

Since they are sold for carrying/storing LPG, they must (legally) be suitable for that use.  Aluminium cylinders seem common in Germany, so much so that Burstner and Hymer, as two examples, both base their payload calculations on the use of aluminium cylinders. 

Quite agree Brian and Tracker, I understand what you are saying Brian I don't believe there is any question that they are legally suitable for that use, but when you say that 'Aluminium cylinders are common in Germany' are you reffering to normal exchangable ones or are you saying that 'fixed' aluminium ones are common.The difference being that Calor used to have to strip and clean them on every refill (hence their higher purchase cost for a given fill quantity and the reason for their demise) the question is have they really done something different with these new refillable ones, there is little to no information on the websites about this (checked MTH and Alugas) so when would they get cleaned and inspected?I would like to think that they are ok as although they do not have a significant weight saving (anyone who is sailing that close to the wind that 12Kg is significant needs a serious rethink IMO) it is still a saving. As I said I was a user of the Calor ones and the removal of 12 Kg of downforce from a drawbar is very significant so several friends with caravans would benefit, though some are changing to the new lightweight steel ones which gives a saving of around 9Kg anyway.

Basil - 2008-03-14 10:11 AM

Chief - 2008-03-14 10:08 AM

Does that help?

Interesting that, I wonder how that is when the Alloy ones are priced dearer to buy per cylinder than Gaslow's?

Bas

Simple Basil

Gaslow quoted me £504 to supply and fit 2 bottles MTH quoted me £402 to supply and fit 2 bottles. So, I reckon £504 take away £402 is err....

err.... YOU are correct, it is not £100 it's actually £102.00 CHEAPER

My post DID say FITTED and not priced seperately for DIY fit.

Chief I think your sarcasm was unnecessary. I didn't query your statement only the fact that the ordinary cylinders are priced more cheaply than the aluminium ones so wondered how the whole installation could be made cheaper with aluminium as the work and other fittings should be no different, sorry if my curiosity offended you!!!

Bas

Basil - 2008-03-14 3:21 PM
Brian Kirby - 2008-03-14 11:28 AM

Quite agree Brian and Tracker, I understand what you are saying Brian I don't believe there is any question that they are legally suitable for that use, but when you say that 'Aluminium cylinders are common in Germany' are you referring to normal exchangeable ones or are you saying that 'fixed' aluminium ones are common. ...........

Just refillables, Basil.  However, I should have thought that if the Germans were having the same problem Calor had, they would have drawn the same conclusion.  Since they seem in common use, I assume the cylinders have been lined/coated to eliminate the corrosion problem.

Archived