Aluminium refillable gas bottles

fjmike

zulurita - 2008-03-15 3:40 PM

I can of course ask a few questions next week about the corrosion issue etc.

I guess having them fitted will depend on the answers ;-)

I for one would appreciate it if you did this please

Basil - 2008-03-14 9:20 PM

Chief I think your sarcasm was unnecessary. I didn't query your statement only the fact that the ordinary cylinders are priced more cheaply than the aluminium ones so wondered how the whole installation could be made cheaper with aluminium as the work and other fittings should be no different, sorry if my curiosity offended you!!!

Bas

Sorry if my reply offended you. It depends how your post is read, in particular " I wonder how that is when the....." was read by me and taken to as though you did not believe me :-|

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had the 11 kg aluminium refillable cylinder fitted at MTH. I could only get one cyinder into my new Auto-Trail gas locker :-( previous mh same model could get 2 x 13 kg cylinders in!

Anyway I asked about corrosion and was told they were "blasted" whatever that means so corrosion not an issue.

I also asked about difference in Propane levels when filling up on the continent and the gas being unuseable in freezing conditions. UK has a high Propane content. Was assured that in Winter the continent do tend to have a higher Propane content than in the summer.

So one would need to be careful about filling up in summer on the continent and then only using mh again in winter! Guess that isn't likely but Richard at MTH didn't think the freezing conditions should be an issue.

I found filling up the cylinder with autogas was easier than I expected (lets hope all the refills are as easy).

The filling up point I had sited in the sideskirt of the MH and already has the UK fitment so for UK and any countries using the same I do not need to screw anything onto the filling point. I also purchased the two other adaptors for Europe.

Cost I thought was reasonable £253 for the one cylinder, tubes, filler bit and adaptors and fitting. I think it would have been around £430/450 or so if I had two cylinders.

MTH were very efficient and you could stay overnight at their premises. You drive to the filling station after the fitting and then the gas is checked on return for leaks etc. I didn't experience any problems with filling up as somewhere I read with Gaslow that people had icing up or something they noticed on their cylinders . Not sure exactly as I am not technical!

handyman - 2008-03-27 11:21 AM

were you worried it was going to blow up on your first fill........I was (lol)

You standing there waiting for the worst........or a strong smell of gas coming out the passenger door window :-D

Something like that (lol)

I was expecting a bit of a kick back when releasing the nozzle after filling up but not at all. This nozzle did have a guard and I have read that sometimes these are missing. But now that I have done it once I won't be quite so worried next time ;-) hopefully!

But of course by then I will be in France and that is a whole new ball game (lol) (lol) If you read of an explosion it will probably be me ;-) Keep away from April onwards ;-)

Archived