Bumper Care

TeePee

The grey bumpers on my Duetto have faded. I use Auto Glym bumper care

which does a good job but the effect does not last. In last months MMM

John Wickersham mentions that a better strategy may be to paint.

Has anyone any experience or recommendations please ?

Guest Tracker

Yes, any half decent body shop will be able to respray the bumper for you but it does often call for special preparation these days (wouldn't you just know it!) and an etching primer (I think) followed by a top coat paint that remains flexible enough to withstand cracking in any movement in the plastic.

I did do it myself on an old Talbot many years ago using some ordinary paint left over from respraying after rust treatment as I had nothing to lose and it worked well, lasted well and looked good.

TeePee - 2008-03-13 4:24 PM

There are better preparations than Auto Glym or similar substances available to the refinishing trade and they do last longer. I use one that is German made by a company called Wurth (pronounced Vert I believe) this is available from refinishers and in my case has been permanant with little more than a re-wipe over now and again.

Most refinishers (spray shops) will not like painting your bumpers after you have use Auto Glym as it contains high quantities of silicone making paint spraying difficult or impossible to say the least.

Bas

Many thanks to all.

Bas,

I have looked at the Wurth website and they do two possible products

Bumper Dressing, a high gloss silicone free waterproof gel. 5 litre.

Plastic Care, a high quality wax treatment for all exterior plastic and rubber parts 1 litre.

Is it either of these ? I suspect the second as the first is high gloss and my bumpers are not high gloss. Thanks.

Hi TP,

Yes it is the Kunststoffplege, LoL, Plastic Care in English. You have to clean first with Wurth Primary Vehicle Cleaner then apply the product witha course sponge or cloth, where badly faded use the course sponge. Leave to soak and buff up with a cloth, repeat if neccessary mine look like new. Don't let water get on it before you buff it up as it streaks, this preparation is completely silicone free.

Don't know much about the primary cleaner as I was given enough in an unmarked bottle.

Funny, I did'n't think about them having a website as my neighbour who is in the trade recommended it and got it for me, worked on ours (all plastics mirrors etc.) a treat.

Bas

Guest peter
TeePee - 2008-03-13 4:24 PM

Do a search. This has been exhustively covered in the not too distant past.

Archived