eurotunnel

la hetiere

Hi, can anyone tell me, lf l turned up at the Calais terminal at say 17.00 hrs and was not due to travel untill the following morning at say 07.50 on a pre booked ticket. would the self check in allow me in or would l be turned away. my idea is to have somewhere safe to get our heads down for the night.

The standard terms and conditions state that "You can amend your booking, subject to availability, within 24 hours of the booked departure date. However, a charge will apply to some departures if the price you paid is lower than the price of the journey you wish to make." Don't forget that what they are talking about here is the difference between the price you have actualy paid for your ticket and the price that you would have to pay, at the time you arrive at the barrier, if you had not purchased a ticket at all. This could be substantially more than you would have paid for that ticket if you had bought it when you bought your actual ticket. This is "floating pricing" in operation.

We always book for 6pm when we go out but arrive at about 4pm and just go straight on, no one mentions extra charges.

We do roughly the same on returning again with no extra charge.

Once came back 12 hours early and again straight on with no extra charge.

Maybe we have been lucky and you had best check

Hi,

I thought that if you pre-booked and arrived early, you were told, somehow, which was the earliest train you could catch without extra charge.

They advertise that, subject to availability, if you arrive up to 2 hours early, or late, they will put you on the next available train.

la hetiere - 2008-03-14 6:33 PM

my idea is to have somewhere safe to get our heads down for the night.

some are missing the point of the post................he want to use it as a overnight .

They will not let you do this. I think they are missing a trick here, the carparks always empty, its very secure, theres lots of people who would want to do it, just dont get why they dont.

Only thing you can do is sleep at the carpark for the animal centre, just befor the ticket booths. I see a lot of campervans there now.

my badly put point was that if they wont let you overnight, then it is frequently possible to get the next train out of town, at no extra charge, and in no time at all, be in calais where there is no problem with overnighting.

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2008-03-15 7:35 PM

geoff,

I wonder if you have been allowed because there isnt any over night shuttles?

during the night If no trains there is sometimes no staff so automated service - credit card in slot etc..

cant see how they can expect you to reverse out particularly if others behind you. i have often arrived a couple of hours early and got our head down for a while but there is a lot of door slamming so not ideal area for a kip (although it feels secure)

Michelle,

I don't think that was the reason as the trains do run through the night, though not as frequent. Generally when you arrive at the tunnel you have the option of taking the next available train or the one you are booked on however early you arrive. We did once, coming back, have the option of an hours wait or pay extra for the next train, naturally we waited. We have also arrived at the Calais terminal the teatime before an early booking for the next day and come straight through. They don't seem to have a strict routine.

Geoff.

Arrived at Sangette eurotunnel at about 8.00pm on 27th Feb for a train at 10.30am the following day. (We had tried the aires at Le Portel Boulogne and the Auchan but didn't fancy either of them. Should have stayed at Le Touquet and just get up earlier!) Asked the woman at the booth if there was anywhere we could camp until the morning to be told "not possible to go through and camp" But she did point over my shoulder to the area where the approach roadway fans out to all the booths on the left hand side of the road, and said we could park there and thats were we stayed, very quiet for that type of place. It was either that or drive to the aire at Calais.

The woman at the booth did suggest we try the shopping centre at Citi of Europe? I seem to remember from years ago that this one has height barriers, perhaps not the same. I think the shopping centre she was desribing is the one by the lakes and overpasses on columns coming out of the lakes with the street lights that look like fish hooks, between Boulogne and Calais.

Interesting that people park at the animal centre, we had our dog with us and never saw it until we tried to check in the following morning and was redirected to the animal centre which is a bit of a pain. Still caught the train though.

This was our first and last time using the tunnel neither of us liked the experience. Too expensive and not very user friendly. Much prefer the ferries, loads of parking, proper job.

Archived