Fuel's gold

Ranger

Hi everyone, did any body watch ITV1 Fuel's Gold? Nothing we did not know already, but nice to have confirmation. @ £5 a gallon, things are getting serious. The tyres for lower road resistance sounded good, but I wonder what the traction is like? Perhaps we should change to F1 tyres.

I used special low rolling resistance tyres on electric vehicles years ago because when you rely on a battery every bit of efficiency is necessary.

Essencially a "harder" rubber mix makes a lower rolling resistance tyre. In one example it was an electric Mini and the tyres were specially made using the same mix as big commercial vehicle tyres.

Downside has already been picked up, these tyres are less "sticky" and so you don,t stick to the ground as well.

But as we are all being forced to slow down perhaps this is OK?

But you cannot have it all!

C.

Hi Clive,

I pondered on letting my old Land Rover freewheel down a long hill from a standing start, and checking its speed after a certain distance, Then changing the tyres for another brand, and doing it again. The idea being that I could ascertain which were the most fuel efficient tyres. But it all seemed too much trouble.

So, is rhere anywhere I can refer to, to find this information?

Do YOU know if it is worthwhile pursuing this matter? Are the savings worth the bother?

I imagine that tyres that make least road noise would be the most fuel efficient, so look for tyres with the smallest lugs in the tread. Tyre pressure should of course be checked at least once a week, and regular servicing all help fuel consumption, and aerodinamics too, don't drive with cab windows open, adds about 20% to the drag. This 'van I have now very smooth body, monocoque fibreglass construction, smooth with no corners, all makes for lower fuel consumption. Smooth driving habits are one of the main things, and change down in plenty of time so the poor old engine does not have to work hard. And like Clive sez drive slower. It seems that free wheeling down hill is against the law?

I remember the first time I paid £1 gallon for petrol, we where camped at 'copper kettle' in new forest, filled my old HB up at nearest petrol station to site. A rough calc and petrol at £5 nowadays is roughly in line with my earnings past and present

Yes Colin, I see what you are getting at, my first motorbike when I was 16 petrol was one shilling & three pence a gallon, by the time I was married and we had our first car I was 22 and petrol had shot up to one shilling & nine pence, now I am 76 five pounds a gallon knocks the hell out of my pension. But if I was working I expect it may well be in proportion. My No 1 Grandson watched "Fuel's gold" and has changed his driving habits quite a bit.

RoyH - 2008-03-16 8:41 PM

What law's that then Ranger and how will they know you're freewheeling?

RoyH

Support Andy Stothert

If you mean with engine switched off: - they'll know when you crash because your steering lock has engaged, or because your brake servo doesn't function.

As the accident investigators are picking the bits of you, and whoever else you hit and killed too, from the wreckage, they do tend to look for that sort of thing........position of ignition key, etc.

Roy, the police accident investigators always check the position of the gear stick too, so just as you pass it on your way through the dashboard slip it into 3rd and you should fool them no end! :-D Or depending how efficient the brakes are only your van/LandRover you might want to consider the cost of a cupful of petrol versus the extra braking power of the engine!

According to an article in the Guardian Budget Special last week, figures from the AA reckon the UK is not the dearest petrol in Europe. I seem to remember 6th or 8th, and about 4th or 5th for diesel.

Archived