New Autotrail

Brian1

Over many years we have always purchased new motorhomes from stock that we have been able to purchase and take delivery without the problem of waiting.

we have been looking to replace our Compass Drifter 460 RB for three years and found what we are looking for at the recent NEC show.We have placed an order for an Autotrail Mohican and at the time promised we would be given an aproximate delivery date within a week.Needless to say after several telephone reminders to the Distributor we have placed the order through, we have been unable to obtain any details about delivery. Is this normal practice or can anyone advise what action we should take.

we are now on our 6th mh mostly from different companys all gave approx delivery dates.not all kept to them,but they were delivered in the end.i'm sure it depends on the company but the autotrail we purchased we found to be good along with the company and delivery norm being 8 to 12 weeks although the new we have ordered 9months but thats fine and i'm sure we should have it in 10 mnths.ps new one not a autotrail im sure they still deliver much quicker..

If you ordered at the Feb NEC show then they should have been able to give you an apporoximate delivery date. Last year we ordered for end aug/ Sept 1st delivery but it only arrived at dealers mid Oct and we finally collected Beginning November.

Last year they had problems I think obtaining the new Fiat Chassis is your on a Fiat or Mercedes? Also I believe but not entirely sure that A/T do batches of various A/T makes at a time. So need to find when they are doing Mohicans.

Your dealer should have put on the order form the (approx) delivery month. I would get in touch with the dealer and ask or failing that check with A/T themselves, an email to sales director should get an answer.

AutoTrail dealers should confirm the approx delivery date on the order form, there should be no need to chase the factory. All the dealer has to do is ring AutoTrail, they have a schedule of dealers, buyers and model numbers and can confirm the date there and then. Your contract is with the dealer. We ordered a Cheyenne 630 on 31 October and delivery was confirmed on the order as mid to late March. Now definetly confirmed for 4 April. We will have the 130HP model so perhaps the 157 id different. Tell the dealer you will cancel the order unless he confirms the delivery date. Your contract is for a certain model at so much money for delivery on a certain date.

Hi, I went on the Autotrail factory visit a couple of weeks ago and I learned the following. The new 160 auto engines are not due in until later in the year at the earliest.

Depending on where the factory is in its' build run you might be waiting a while. Say they are doing Apaches now and the entire run is ordered and sold, this is a maximum of 15 vans, so then you will have to wait until they go through their entire product range runs until they get back to the Apache. The production line does not differentiate between Mercs or FIAT, they run side by side. About 8-10 weeks before the production run the dealer can get a build number and approximate delivery date from Autotrail, but it has to be the dealer who rings, and they can tell them a date when the van SHOULD be delivered to them. This is when Autotrail programme any changes and extras you might want onto your particular model.

As of my factory visit all the models in this production run of all makes were allocated to dealers and all production targets and delivery times were being met. But of course things can change if a machine breaks down or a particular part runs out.

Look on the Autotrail web site and book a visit. It is facinating to watch them build the vans, even if you are not getting an Autotrail! It made us more certain we had made the right choice of van and the build quality and approach to the job of the staff was very impressive to see too.

I agree with the comments above and the factory visit is a real eye opener - although you have to wait a long time for your van it will be worth it - unless you need replacement parts!!! On delivery last September a couple of locker door parts were too badly scratched to be "buffed out" so were re-orderd from the factory - after several tel. calls they are finally delivered this month!

Just before Xmas the combination of a reckless motorbike rider and our fence post caused damage to the light pod and the long "skirt" - the replacements have been on order since before Xmas and we still have no idea when they will arrive for the repair to be done...... *-)

I was a little disapointed to hear about the delay in deliveries of the 160/Auto but have now received a call from the dealer advising delivery is expected late June for my collection early July.

We have now booked a factory visit for late April,hoping we will be able to

obtain more detail.I remain concerned because dealer has not yet requested final build details from me.

It might be an idea Brian to sit down and decide what you are going to have done then go to the dealers and sit with the salesperson while they make a proper note of what you want. They can then e-mail Autotrail with your requests and it will be added to your order at the factory. You should then have a copy of the order. From my experience with Spinney Motors when we ordered ours that is the way Autotrail like to do it. There should be no need to make a final decision until your van gets it's build number and run date.

The dealer can't really expect no contact with you between now and June/July so just get on their case, after all you are spending a fair few quid with them and can rightly expect some service and acknowledement!

Who is the dealer BTW?

In the past I had needed replacement parts and my dealer has quoted weeks for delivery. I have discovered that it is much, much quicker to contact Auto-Trail direct. In one instance, a replacement glass lid for the cooker, was dispatched immediately as a complimentary item (worth about £80 I believe). You cannot get better service than that - excellent firm to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived