Plan routes on Garmin Nuvi

Herri

I would like to plan my routes om a PC, say travel from Dover to Cardiff going via Brighton and say Salisbury. I have the free Map Source software but that dosn't help. Is it possible to buy maps for the pc where the route data can be transfered. On the Garmin aviation software this is normal procedure but I'm at a loss with my road version. I've sent a mail to Garmin but havn't had an answer yet. Anybody out there with experience on this type?

Also if I download a point of interest, where do I find it on the Nuvi?

Thanks

Guest JudgeMental

welcome to the forum!

which nuvi have you?

As I believe only the recent 700 series nuvi can accept downloaded route info from mapsource mapping software.......

easier to call Garmin on 0808 238 0000 ( you can wait forever for an answer to an email)

you say you have free mapsource software which "doesn't help" is it unlocked? - as believe me there is no such thing as "free" software *-)

If you have the Mapsource cd rom with maps on, it can be loaded onto a PC. You do however need an unlock key to get the maps to open at the end of the installation process.

I have just done this with Version 9 of Mapsource and loaded onto a new laptop to use in conjunction with a Garmin 2720.

I do not know whether the same system applies to the Nuvii.

Guest JudgeMental
JohnP - 2008-03-17 3:44 PM

If you have the Mapsource cd rom with maps on, it can be loaded onto a PC. You do however need an unlock key to get the maps to open at the end of the installation process.

I have just done this with Version 9 of Mapsource and loaded onto a new laptop to use in conjunction with a Garmin 2720.

I do not know whether the same system applies to the Nuvii.

Nuvi's do not generally come with separate mapping, it is pre installed on unit.

I have a 2610 as well, so like you I use the V9 mapsource software on my PC. I have just purchased a nuvi 770 and with this, as already explained you can download routes etc...BUT you need either an unlocked (paid for) version of mapsource ( which \I have) or the much cheaper "trip and waypoint manager" which is about £20

mapsource 2008 which is essentially a renamed V10 has been around since December. hope you did not pay much for what is essentially old mapping....

Guest JudgeMental
JohnP - 2008-03-17 9:52 PM

How are you finding the nuvi 770 compared to the Streetpilot?

Hi John,

Well I would like to say its fantastic! and probably in theory it is, compared to my old unit. But mine has a problem and is being returned tomorrow for a replacement *-)

Hopefully new one back in time for Easter trip to south of France.....

Archived