The Euro

Ventoux

As a suggestion anyone going to France regularly might do better to open a French bank account and get a debit card. You can then transfer money when the exchange rate is good and you should be able to get wholesale rates which are better than tourist rates. You can then use these cards for buying petrol and paying tolls (when the cashier tills are closed) and shopping. I have had one for years and they are really useful. I transfer about £500 or so at a time and it costs me about £10 at my Lloyds TSB bank although some banks and financial companies (such as Fidelity) are cheaper.

I believe there is a Credit Agricole branch in Caen now where they speak English and I think you can set up an account without actually visiting them but I am not sure. I am sure someone will know though.

PS I was going to buy a property in France. When I placed the deposit the rate was 1.49 but I had to cancel the deal for other reasons (couldn't sell in England). Had I gone ahead it would have cost another £33 000 by now and in today's paper they reckon it will get worse before (or even if) it gets better.

Hi, yes we have a franch bank account with CA in caen, and they do have a dept just for us brits which is nice and easy to use, just call in at the main bank just near the caen memorial and ask for the english section.

And we are always exchanging pounds into euros when the times right, works for us.

pity to hear that you could not complete buying your house, did you loss the deposit for pulling out.

terry

I have been away for a few days and missed this thread in my inbox. Thanks Terry1956 for your kind comment about the house but others have far worse things to worry about. No, fortunately my deposit was refunded because I had a clause written in to the contract.

I also agree with others. I remember the terrible inflation after decimalisation and warned my French neighbours when they were so excited about the advent of the euro. Prices in France have certainly risen since its introduction.

With regards to opening a French bank account I have just done a Google search "Credit Agricole English" and there were several advertisements in English from branches in different parts of France (Credit Agricole Bank is regional not national). Type in www.britline.com and it gives instructions on how to set up an account with Credit Agricole in Normandy (Caen) without having to visit France.

just looked at my bank account, Nationwide exchange rate on recent trip to France

21/03/08 -- 1.283

26/03/08 -- 1.280

27/03/08 -- 1.268

although nowhere near what we were getting in the new year its still a far more favourable rate than local exchanges

In early Feb I got 1.3 from Abbey, 1.3 from HSBC and 1.34 from Nationwide.

They all went down gradually Nationwide was still above 1.3 at end of Feb, I haven't used it for Euros in March only for Swiss Francs. On the 18 Mar HSBC was 1.24 and Abbey was 1.22 on the 20th. Parity soon I expect then we'll decide to join.

Phil.

Archived