How much is my motorhome worth ?

mags

Hi all, For family reasons I am having to consider selling my lovely motorhome. How do I go about getting a fair price for it ? I will not be able to use a motorhome for the near future so I can't trade it in for a smaller one or even a caravan. Is it better to try to trade it in for a car? or sell it privately ? Or maybe to one of the dealers that advertise in MMM ? Suggestions please - I don't want to sell it but I think it is better than it sitting in my drive going nowhere.

Thanks.

Elaine :-(

As thej judge says. Selling to a dealer is a big mistake if you want your money back. It depends on how much you wish to get for it of course. Have a look at similar models to yours in MMM and see what they are being offered for privately. Also check to see how much dealers are selling similar for. You wont likely get as much as a dealer will command due to warranties etc. And remember just because someone is asking a kings ransom for his beloved pre owned MH it does not mean that he will sell it.

Dealers that buy MHs as in teh call me best offer paid are only in it for one reason and thats the money. If you are desperate to sell it and need to generate cash quickly then thats the route to travel. Pxing for a car will get you probably the same as if you are pxing for another MH. The car dealer will ring a few trader contacts and offer you that plus what ever leaway he has in his car he is selling.

It might also be worth to say what sort of van it is. you never know someone might be reading.

Hope this helps and I am sorry your having to sell you beloved.

Honest John in the Telegraph frequently recommends the British Car Auctions' "Sure Sell" scheme for cars. I have seen motorhomes for sale at Blackbushe but I don't know if they are included in the Sure Sell scheme but it may be worth calling your local BCA to ask. The scheme for cars works like this, you speak to a personal adviser who takes lots of details and estimates the sale price for you and suggests a reserve price. You deliver the vehicle to the appointed site, hand over keys and documents (good history helps the price and the sale) and you leave it to them. On the sale day if it's sold you get your cheque, less charges in a few days. If it's had an offer close to reserve they will call you to see if it is acceptable. If not it is automatically entered into the next sale at a reduced fee.

For private car sellers, Honest John thinks the scheme gives a fair price but most importantly, removes the physical, psychological and financial risks of going down the small ad route. Might be worth researching?

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Bob

1) Peace of mind use a trader, job and finish, but a poor price.

2) Privately, hassel. worry . loads of advertising, time wasters and worry how to safeguard the transaction and end up in being paid in nigerian dollars.

Personally I would go for 2 but drop my price to realistic level, You only have to pick up MMM and see how many Mhomes are for sale and what price top is expected. (not probably paid :-(

Leaves option 1 for later, (If there is any money about after this banking fiasco)

rgds

Edited to say, post a for sale on this site, Its a start !

i paid 23k for my first van, enjoyed it for 4 years,when i bought my new van i was offered 18k which i thought was ok. however i gave it a go on fleabay first and got 20k just goes to show.

give yourself every avenue to try. imho.

mags - 2008-03-18 10:33 PM Hi all, For family reasons I am having to consider selling my lovely motorhome. How do I go about getting a fair price for it ? I will not be able to use a motorhome for the near future so I can't trade it in for a smaller one or even a caravan. Is it better to try to trade it in for a car? or sell it privately ? Or maybe to one of the dealers that advertise in MMM ? Suggestions please - I don't want to sell it but I think it is better than it sitting in my drive going nowhere. Thanks. Elaine :-(

One option no-one above has mentioned is the possibility of placing your van on a dealer's forecourt on a "sale or return" basis. 

We did this early in 2007 and, although we didn't get as much as we would have on a private sale, we got more than we would have if we had sold for cash.  The reason, simply, is because the dealer doesn't have to pay you "up front", but pays you when the van is sold by him. 

During the time the van was on his forecourt it was insured by him as his stock, and it was cleaned and demonstrated by him in the same way as any other van.  It was also guaranteed by him on sale, which probably benefited the selling price a bit. 

The dealer was a dealer for the make of our van, and the van was only a couple of years old, so he was happy to take it on. 

It remained our property while it was there and, most importantly, he produced a simple agreement saying that it remained ours, that we would leave it with him for a minimum period of time, and that he would pay us an agreed sum on sale.  What he got was the difference between what he sold for, and what he guaranteed.  As soon as it sold, and he got clearance on the buyer's cheque, his cheque was in the post to us the same night.  All we then had to do was complete and post off to DVLA the change of ownership portion of the log book.

If there are dealers for your make of van near(ish) to where you live, and they are reputable and you have confidence in them, especially if they say they have done this sort of deal before, it may give you a better price than a straight cash sale to a dealer - which will always get you the worst price - saves you the cost of advertising, saves you answering the phone to the twits who haven't read the ad, or want you to drive it to Galashiels for them to view it, and it saves you the difficulty of securing the payment when you get it.  For this, or course, you pay.

Final point, if you decide to sell privately, get a move on!  Now is when most folk are beginning to think about buying, and you are already too late for the April mags.  The dealers are now delivering their new vans to customers, and getting their part exchange ones in as second hand stock, so they won't be over anxious to take on extra second hand stock for cash or sale or return.  However, if you van is newish, in good condition, and fills a gap in what they have to offer, or is a very popular type/make, they may take it just to complete their "set" of secondhand vans.  Good luck, but chop, chop!

Many thanks all for your replies. I think I prefer the dealer acting on commission option - takes the stress out of it somewhat!! My van is an Ace Milano, 2.3l, 5 berth. Registered Sept 05. I'll be sorry to see it go but there's no point in it sitting in my front garden going nowhere - the hardest part is driving to work along the A1 and seeing motorhomes going the other way - I really want to join them !!

Guest JudgeMental
mags - 2008-03-21 8:12 PM

Many thanks all for your replies. I think I prefer the dealer acting on commission option - takes the stress out of it somewhat!! My van is an Ace Milano, 2.3l, 5 berth. Registered Sept 05. I'll be sorry to see it go but there's no point in it sitting in my front garden going nowhere - the hardest part is driving to work along the A1 and seeing motorhomes going the other way - I really want to join them !!

Mmmm... problem with that is, by the time dealer puts his lump on top you run the risk of van sitting there for ever....... *-)

JudgeMental - 2008-03-21 8:26 PM
mags - 2008-03-21 8:12 PM Many thanks all for your replies. I think I prefer the dealer acting on commission option - takes the stress out of it somewhat!! My van is an Ace Milano, 2.3l, 5 berth. Registered Sept 05. I'll be sorry to see it go but there's no point in it sitting in my front garden going nowhere - the hardest part is driving to work along the A1 and seeing motorhomes going the other way - I really want to join them !!
Mmmm... problem with that is, by the time dealer puts his lump on top you run the risk of van sitting there for ever....... *-)

Doesn't quite work like that Eddie, at least ours didn't.  The dealer doesn't ask what you'd like for the van and then add his bit, he judges what he can get for the van, decides how much he needs to make to cover his costs/profit etc, and either offers to pay you the balance as a fixed sum when it sells, or a fixed percentage of the actual selling price.  If you don't like what he offers you don't take the matter any further. 

That is why you must have confidence in the dealer.  In our case, we were offered a fixed price, which we later dropped by agreement, and that is exactly what we got.  If a percentage is offered, the dealer has to agree an "open book" approach the the sale price.  If he's an honest broker he won't object to, or will even offer, that proposition.  The main risk is that, to secure a sale, the price has to be dropped below what you want.  However, as the van is yours it can't be sold without your agreement, so if you don't like the price you can say no.  If the dealer agrees he tries again, or you shake hands and take the van away. 

I thought it worked well, and the dealer was totally reliable.  They were a well established firm with a lot of stock, so our van was not a significant item for them one way or the other.

Guest JudgeMental

I don't really see much difference between this and selling directly to a dealer. either way he is going to factor in his normally large lump and offer you the residual....

The eb*y route: add could have been in middle of last week, and fingers crossed sold within a couple of weeks. worth a punt at less then £10 while investigating other options*-)

I got a very good price for mine late 2006 it cost me two adds (less then £20) no hassle and a straightforward (bank transfer) sale.

The main difference between the cash sale to a dealer or sale or return route is that the dealer doesn't have to shell out his dough up front, and then take the risk on whether he can get a sale or not.  With sale or return he only gets paid when he secures the sale, but so do you.  You therefore take the risk on how fast the van sells, but so far as I could tell, you get more than you would if the dealer had to put his hand in his wallet up front.

No problem with e-bay, except that I wouldn't buy a can of pilchards over e-bay, let alone a motorhome!  However, that's just me.

Well, I've just put the ad on ebxy . Am trying to get hold of the dealer I bought it from to see if they would sell it on commission for me but no reply to the phone - either closed for Easter or too busy to answer. Will try again tomorrow but thought I'd try the auction route while I'm waiting!I'll let you know how it goes.

Elaine

My limited experience is buying via MMM and selling via MMM.

Both very successful and only nice people involved.

Would go the same route again unless Murvi offered me almost

what I would get privately. Just be realistic about the price,.

Incidently we bought our first van secondhand end of season in September(giving the asking price!)

selling 4 years later again in September with a loss of about 4K.

Guest JudgeMental
mags - 2008-03-24 3:16 PM

Well, I've just put the ad on ebxy . t thought I'd try the auction route while I'm waiting!I'll let you know how it goes.

Elaine

As long as you treat it just like any other advertising medium you will be fine. just use the same precautions that you would if you advertised it anywhere.

put a link on here you never know.....

Brians idea of a dealer selling it for you is good but do your home work first

my brother did this about 5 years ago while the dealer had the motorhome they went into liquidation and my brother had a hell of job to get back from the liqudators. I know this dosen't happen often but be careful and get it all in writing .

Guest JudgeMental

Elaine, a few of words of advice regards your add if I may.

It is best to say that it can be "viewed by appointment", as no one is going to pay 15k + for a van without seeing it....

Payment, you add says, Paypal, Postal Order or Banker's Draft. Now there is no way I would except any thing except cleared funds in my bank account before releasing goods. They can pay by flying carpet for all I care as long as my bank says the money is cleared. Have a look at other adds, most say "goods released only on receipt of cleared funds"

This is only my opinion , but I think the "buy it now" route work better..... you fix a price and have a box underneath which accepts offers. and then you get I think it is 48hrs to accept or decline these offers. I find it better then the auction which can drag on a bit. you need to have a certain amount of transactions before you can do a "buy it how" but you have this........

some sort of contact detail in body of add, normally associated with arrangements to view. then it gives people the opportunity of contacting you directly even if auction finished :-D

Judge -Thanks for the advice - particularly about the cleared funds. Sometimes I just don't think these things through properly !! I'll have a go at putting the ad right . I've had a few messages asking how much the reserve is so there is some sort of interest !

Elaine

Archived