Pleated blinds

Guest Maureen

Guest Maureen
I have a Hymer 544 99 model with the old style cloth blinds inside the windscreen and cab side windows. and I would like to fit the new style pleated type, do anybody have any ideas on this, and where could i get them ?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Hymer has used the 544 designator for motorhomes that retain the base vehicle's existing cab and for those that don't (A-Class designs), so it's a bit tricky responding accurately to your enquiry. The 2 main manufacturers of motorhome pleated window-blind systems are Dometic(Seitz) and Remis. If your motorhome has the original cab, then it may be possible to fit it with the Remis system. Certainly this would be practical with post-2002 Citroen Jumper/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer-based motorhomes, but I'm not sure about earlier variants. You could check with Parma Industries (0800 6193899) who market the Remis product. If you've got a B544 A-Class motorhome, then you'll need to check that there actually is a blind-system to fit it. If such a system was offered as an option on 1999 models then you should be OK, but if it wasn't then you may be in difficulties. These systems need to be exactly tailored at the design stage to the specific motorhome model's cab window/windscreen shapes, so a blind-system for, say, a Hymer B-Series is most unlikely to fit (or be adaptable to fit) say a Rapido 9-Series. This can be true even within a single make/model range, so I've no idea if the design of blind-system fitted to post-1999 B544 Hymers can be retro-fitted to 1999 vehicles. I suggest you check with Hymer(UK) or Hambleton Engineering (01772 315078) to confirm the position. I know pleated cab-blinds look snazzy (my Hobby has the Remis system), but retro-fitting them won't be cheap. They are also far more damage-prone than curtains and their insulation capability is nothing special. Things to consider perhaps - me, I'd stay with the curtains.

Guest Teresa
Could not agree more. They are so flimsey. We met a Dutch man in Spain whose wife put her elbow through them and there was an unslightly bulge!!! Plus the top rail they are fixed on is a very weak construction(like a lot of things on more recent Hymers). Heading to Peterborough Show earlier this year, ours just broke off. the centre support is apparantly just glued together.

Guest Bev Archer
Sorry to disagree with you guys but we fitted a set of Remis cab blinds to our Timberland Fiat based van over a year ago and think they are the berries. So quick and easy to close when parking up in hot sunshine. The only gripe we have is about the need to unship the mirror to completely close the windscreen blind.

Archived