CL/CS sites

Pat

Law catching up with reality?

I've often been on CLs where there were more than 5 - and never been turned away because the CL was "full!"

And when did you last hear of a CL operator being prosecuted/ fined/ struck off/ told not to be naughty?

So why would they turn away another few quid, when a caravanner or motorhomer (even an ex-member who's still got the book!) shows up needing somewhere to stay the night?

Silly rule anyway IMHO - as long as they don't get too busy and/or expensive, who cares if there are more than 5?

I hope it is true. In the South I often have to call multiple sites before I can secure a booking - the record was 11 before I gave up and booked a big club site (admittedly for a busy weekend). We use a huge number of different CL/CS sites over a year (we don't go anywhere twice) and we increasingly find they are 80% or so occupied by permanent or semi-permanent residents who work locally. This provides welcome cashflow for operators but defeats the objective of having them for touring motorhomers and caravanners.

On the subject of enforcement two operators in East Sussex have told me they have had formal warnings from council officials who produced photographic evidence of the "offence" of having 6 vans pitched. Never heard it anywhere else.

Bob

I hope that this is true although I have not seen any evidence. One site owner near Weston Super Mare got around the problem by having a CL and a CS separated by a hedge. In the Caravan Club magazine mention was made about a CL where 4 bookings for an Easter weekend did not turn up.

Guest peter
The 5 van rule is imposed by the local authorities and not the clubs. I think it's something to do with planning rules.

I think it would be very good all round if this happened, it is more and more difficult to get into CLs now and the cost of some of them is getting rediculous. I understand that they have to make it worth doing so if they were able to increase the numbe of units hopefully that would mean they could keep the cost more reasonable.

As for CLs being told off by the club, you only have to read in the CC magazine that some have been removed as they were in contravention of the rules, so it does happen.

I must admit that we have stayed on sites where there have been more than 5 units at a time, but there's not a lot we can do if we turn up, having booked, and are number 6 or 7, there's no way we're not stopping! If the owner of the CL wants to risk it then that is his risk, not ours.

We have been on many sites where there have been more than 5 vans but i wouldnt dream of sneaking off and calling the caravan club to inform on them.

The CL owner makes very little money for thier troubles, often has to deal with unpleasant types and im sure they could all come up with the stories about so called CC club members not showing up after booking. Personaly i would find it hard if i was a CL owner to turn away a camper who has perhaps driven quite some distance on the half chance of getting in somewhere and finding the nearest caravan club site full of non members or no shows.

At the end of the day we are guests on thier land and should be grateful for that and not run off snitching to the CC head office or nearest council office. If half of us wanted to head off one weekend then im sure the caravan club couldnt cope with the numbers at leaast the CLs help in that respect, this country badly needs to take a lesson from continental countries and allow aire type stops for motorhomes to ease the camping site blockage that we so often experience on Bank Holidays and peak times but im sure the CC club would be the biggest objector to this.

Weve been members of both clubs for years but have never used either CL/CS ,s they always seem out of the way and we havent chanced going finding they arent suitable! entrances, had standing etc;

Does anyone know of a site near the Tunnel? that is only a few miles away?

trigrem - 2008-03-21 8:49 PM Maggyd Does anyone know of a site near the Tunnel? that is only a few miles away? Which side of the water are you thinking of.

Sorry I meant this side its too far to drive cross and drive other side before we stop! I want to leave home the day before we cross.

My friends run a CL. They should have been fully booked this weekend and have had to turn people away. Which is a shame as some of those bookings have not turned up, and not had the decency to cancel.

Last week they had a caravanner turn up with his CC membership card, although they suspected that he was a traveller, and stayed for a night or two. When he left there were dogends all over the pitch and toilet paper stuffed in the hedge.(I didn't ask)

peter - 2008-03-20 11:06 PM

The 5 van rule is imposed by the local authorities and not the clubs. I think it's something to do with planning rules.

More or less correct. The legislation concerned is the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

This provides that planning permission is required for a site unless an exemption applies. One of the exemptions is for sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation (like the CC and C&CC) and which are for members only.

If a site owner allows more than 5 vans at a time it is the owner who commits an offence and risks action being taken against him, not the people in the vans.

Graham

Archived