EURO WIMPS???

DENBOY

Hi all,

might attract some flack here but here goes, as you might know we have just become the proud owners of a herald aragon. whilst looking we were amazed at the number of vans with the dreaded 'dinettes', would this be europe saying we must have a forward facing seat for each of the berths. While I can see the safety aspect it limits the layout options of any van of three or more berths and therefore most vans of 20 feet plus length. Is there any real need for all the people travelling in a motorhome to be belted up, or are you all going to relate tales of horror to proove that there is, or am I just ranting cus the weathers crap---again?

My pet 'Euro dislike' is the idea of havin to climb up onto the roof of a Garage to sleep, My bike lives outside on a rack, inside space is too precious to waste on inanimate extras. and while I am 'at it' , being only 5ft XXX tall

an' the missus even shorter, I object to ovens(if they exist at all !) being placed so high that the possibility of scolding 'hot Pot' pouring over my head is a real danger.

and yes, the proliferation of 'dinettes' annoys me too...... and Tables that are heavy enough to withstand a 'Tallboy' bomb. rant over,

has the rain stopped yet ?? :D

I don't understand why people are "ranting" about design details of motorhomes. If you don't like certain things, like garages and dinettes then don't buy a 'van with those features, there really is plenty of choice out there. The Elddis Autoquest 120 (I think) for example has a rear U shaped lounge and a low profile, no garage and no dinette. :-) ;-)

D.

And what's wrong with dinettes? We've got a big fixed bed - mid height as we've got the lower garage so I just have a small plastic step that I use to give me a leg up. The dinette works well for us two, ideal for a meal, one each side so no problem with elbows and if we want we can put big squishy cusions behind our backs, pull out the side extension bit for our feet and 'chill', if we are really wanting a 'big chillout' we just retire to the bed and watch the telly! The dinette also doubles up as our dog's overnight beds, one each side, so keeps them off the floor and from under our feet in the morning.

I believe we must accept that everyone is different and has differing requirements. We like to have the dinette in fact our layout can have two if we desire. We don't like any fixed beds (doubles that is don't mind fixed single bunks in some continental layouts) or 'garages' and dislike the current trend towards them, however we recognise that there are those that do like them so we just ignore those that have them and only look at those with dinnette's that suit us. We also would not have a van with no oven but there are no doubt plenty that would, each to there own I say there is no right answer.

Bas

Basil - 2008-03-23 9:42 PM

I believe we must accept that everyone is different and has differing requirements. We like to have the dinette in fact our layout can have two if we desire. We don't like any fixed beds (doubles that is don't mind fixed single bunks in some continental layouts) or 'garages' and dislike the current trend towards them, however we recognise that there are those that do like them so we just ignore those that have them and only look at those with dinnette's that suit us. We also would not have a van with no oven but there are no doubt plenty that would, each to there own I say there is no right answer.

Bas

Spot on Basil!

D.

Guest JudgeMental
fred grant - 2008-03-23 9:45 PM

doggys on the furniture. good gracious me. whatever next my luvvers?

fidofred

Thats townies for you Fred, and they probably feed them chocolate as well....

Just for the record, although none of the Ford-based Herald coachbuilt designs penned by Dave Thomas had dinette-seating as standard, it was possible to specify it as an option on the Templar. Assuming the overcab-bed option was also selected, this allowed sleeping berths and safe travel-seating for 4 people, a combination that most people would surely consider sensible. From what I remember the dinette option added a fair bit of weight and the way it converted into a bed was generally considered 'unsophisticated' (ie. a Pig's Ear).

I wasn't meaning to say one layout is any better than another, layouts are very personal and many people stick to the same one every time as do we.

I just wondered with so many dinettes is there an european rule

(4 berths--4 foreward facing seats with belts)

DENBOY - 2008-03-24 10:43 AM

I wasn't meaning to say one layout is any better than another, layouts are very personal and many people stick to the same one every time as do we.

I just wondered with so many dinettes is there an european rule

(4 berths--4 foreward facing seats with belts)

One of the reasons for this is that Europeans in general do their motorhomeing and caravanning in a different way. Most of the time they live/eat outside so they don't need mountains of space in their vehicles for leisure. In the Uk, because of the climate mostly, we tend to spend more of our time inside our vehicles and therefore need more leisure space. To find a rear lounge is quite rare but not unheard of, we looked at an Eriba when we were trying to find a suitable motorhome but it wasn'et long enough so we opted for the standard fixed bed and double dinette because Hubby doesn't fancy having a fold up bed above the cab. I think he is afraid of it falling down whilst driving!!!!

davenewell@home - 2008-03-23 11:28 PM

Basil - 2008-03-23 9:42 PM

Bas

Spot on Basil!

D.

Agreed.

Perhaps the main thing that I've noticed on site and at show camping grounds etc is the sheer number of different sized vans, from the small Romahome types right up to 40 foot American RVs - and with all sorts of different internal layouts and facilities.

When we are at re-enactment musters there are also usually a number of different types of caravans and all sorts of shapes and sizes of tents.

I see that as a really positive factor, meaning that there is plenty of choice for everyone to find something to suit their own individual needs and within their budget range.

Long may we all continue to enjoy our own vans/tents/whatever whilst also enjoying the company of others who go for a similar overall lifestyle.

Graham

Archived