Blocked sink!!!!

Lady Godiva

Can anyone help! I have come back from a weekend away and tried to unblock my sink. I bought my Elddis Autostrausse privately. So assumed that the waste pipe had bunged up a bit. I emptied the waste tank (my god) which was terrible. Then put mr muscle sink unblocker down the pipe. Apparently it cleans the worse blocked pipes in 15mins. 6 hours later, its still not unblocked. Can anyone help. :$

Guest Le Thou

Hi

You will probably find that the blockage is caused by grease and related products such as conditioner, the best method is to plunger the plug holes to get rid of the waste water and then pour down a strong mix of soda crystals and hot water ( mix it in a bucke t first and get it as hot as poss)

Soda crystals in hot water is the best degreaser available.

Hi'

We overcame our blocked sink by pouring boiling water down it till it cleared. Do-it with your waste tank drain open so the gunge can go straight out. The blockage should only be a bit of grease holding onto food particles. Good-luck

regards...nige

Hi, Welcome to the joys of motorhomes. Probably the best way to clear this blockage before you dismantle the plumbing is to half fill the sink with very hot water and leave for about 10mins then if still blocked use a good old sink sink plunger (available from your DIY store) if you have not got one. This in combination with the hot water should do the trick, then flush the system through and drain the tank. Hope this works good luck regards Geoff

Have you tried a good old fasioned rubber sink plunger to try and blast any blockage out of the pipe. Failing that a bit of bendy curtain wire poked down an manipulated right through the pipe.

I expect someone else will come up with a neat trick.... one hopes.

Jon.

P.S. Sorry - way behind in the posts, must have had original post open on my desktop for ages while others were all helping.

I have tried the boiling water and the plunger, but nothing has worked. The stuff that came out of the waste tank was like scrambled egg! I am convinced it was maggot eggs. If it was scrambled egg, it must have taken 10 dozen to make it! Mr Muscle is still not working I have just checked. Even my dads drain rod went down about 4ft, but nothing.

Guest Le Thou
Caravan and MH pipe work doesn't have the same "p" traps used in domestic plumbing, you will find a small holding trap at the exit of the pipework from the sink all that does is catch the odd bit of debris but thats all, sorry Brambles not a critiscm but I would,nt poke anything down the sink pipework these pipes are only plastic and can puncture, again soda crystals and hot water

Guest Le Thou
Good idea Brambles or even better if you know anyone who plays the trumpet get them to try and hit a high F sharp while blowing down the plug hole!

Brambles - 2008-03-24 9:45 PM

Fair enough re poking things down, forgot some pipes are the thin corrugated ones and not tough hose.

Jon.

Oh Jon ,

Don't slate youself its a good idea anyway you could always stick something tie on a peice of rag on the end so it didnt damage or puncture anything ..Boiling water and Soda Crystals keep the boiling water flowing plenty of it . Good Luck ,

Can you see, under the 'van, where the pipework goes into the waste tank? If so, you may be able to disconnect the pipe before it enters the tank. On my A/S the pipes from the sink and the shower are connected together under the van. I found that, when I undid them I was able to establish which was blocked and also to attack the blockage more effectively from that end. Also, the blockage may well be just where the pipe enters the tank, via an elbow. You can shift that by either a pressure hose or boiling water, once you have disconnected the other pipes.

Sorry not picking you up on your spelling but do you mean an Elddis Autostratus, if so our friends one had a blockage that could not be cleared by normal means. When we investigated we found that the connection at the black waste tank under the van, the actual fitting in the tank that the hose connects to, had a sort of 'baffle' inside and that was completely blocked with solid debris. We removed it from the tank and scraped it of with a screwdriver at which point the 'baffle' snapped off so we reinstalled it and it has been no problem since.

I checked ours afterwards and there was no baffle, so it either did not have one or ours was snapped of too.

Bas

Guest Tracker

I agree with Basil that the most likely point of blockage is at the tank end of the hose.

As the tank inlet stub is narrower than the hose into which it fits there is always the opportunity for nasty bits to get hung up where it narrows.

If the tank inlet is easily reachable under the van simply undoing the hose clip, sliding the hose off, cleaning it all up - including the tank inlet stub - might cure the problem?

To avoid it happening again use plenty of water, warm will help melt the fat, to flush down the sink and into the tank after each trip.

Lady Godiva

Hi again it would appear from your posts that the blockage is some where in the pipe work under the Van, the cold weather would not help because if it is fat clogging the pipe then it will be solid, check if there is a trap fitted near the tank, if so you should be able to seperate this. The pipe is usually a push fit. You could also try warming the pipe with a hot air gun to soften any fats and heat the water that you have already put down the sink the other way of possibly clearing it is to disconnect the pipe under the van and back flush using a hose pipe connected to the mains water supply what ever way you do it it is going to be messy. dont forget the rubber gloves! good luck

Whilst agreeing with hot water, caustic soda etc - do be careful. Hot water can soften plastic pipe which may well then come away from a connection point. Also caustic soda burns skin. Take care, good luck.

Always empty your waste tank after a trip and flush though with warm soapy water.

Guest Le Thou
argyler - 2008-03-25 5:02 PM

Whilst agreeing with hot water, caustic soda etc - do be careful. Hot water can soften plastic pipe which may well then come away from a connection point. Also caustic soda burns skin. Take care, good luck.

Always empty your waste tank after a trip and flush though with warm soapy water.

Do Not Use Caustic Soda !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff is lethal, it is used for stripping pine furniture, The stuff you can buy from your local hardware store is SODA CRYSTALS, Hope you don't mind me pointing out the difference.

Once the waste is clear of grease & fat, use kitchen roll to mop up the excess grease on the plates and frying pan before you wash them up.

That will prevent future build up of residues and keep the waste tank

smelling sweeter to boot !

I agree with bob b.But i go one step further i wash up in a bowl with a handle and dipose of properly.only water from sink and shower go into tank and that is treated twice daily.all shampoos washingup liquid are biodegradable and start to break down and smell within 48hrs...

I have had my current 'van for over 10 years and have only once had a problem with a blockage in the waste water pipework - as my previous post said, this was at the point where the pipe enters the tank. I have never bothered to take any precautions re grease, food particles, etc. going down the plug hole. The van is used around 100 nights a year, so from my experience I don't think that such precautions are necessary.

BrianR - 2008-03-25 10:03 PM

I have had my current 'van for over 10 years and have only once had a problem with a blockage in the waste water pipework - as my previous post said, this was at the point where the pipe enters the tank. I have never bothered to take any precautions re grease, food particles, etc. going down the plug hole. The van is used around 100 nights a year, so from my experience I don't think that such precautions are necessary.

Our experience as well although I would suggest a little caution about leftover rice as it does set nicely when it gets trapped just before the entry spiggot into the tank. :'(

Have always fitted a sink strainer in the waste hole, stops all the rice/pea's ect from going down and getting trapped on the ridges of the pipe work. Any grease as mentioned should be cleaned off beforehand with kitchen roll. We consider kitchen roll paper vital in the van. ;-) chas

Archived