Tom Tom

Could anyone tell me how to download CCC and CC sites, also I have downloaded some POI to "my briefcase", how do I transfer to Tom Tom, I have looked through their site but can't find info.

If anyone is kind enough to help please make instructions very easy as this is my first TT and I'm not brilliant with the computer either !!

Liz

Hi Liz,

Way2Go is the Tom Tom expert. If you look in "Hints & Tips" you will see a very informative "How To" guide on downloading POI's

I downloaded the ACSI sites at the weekend using his information as a guide.

John

Hi all,I'm writing this from sunny Denia in Spain.Camping Los Pinos,where wifi is available for 1euro a day ,cheaper rates for a week or month.I digress,what I would like to know is can I down load GPS co ordinate facilities to my TOM TOM GO.If so how and where . *-)

Millie the motorhome - 2008-03-25 3:31 PM

Could anyone tell me how to download CCC and CC sites, also I have downloaded some POI to "my briefcase", how do I transfer to Tom Tom, I have looked through their site but can't find info.

If anyone is kind enough to help please make instructions very easy as this is my first TT and I'm not brilliant with the computer either !!

Liz

Hi liz- try this site:-

http://www.poihandler.com/

David

W2G,

Sorry to be an idiot here, I have unzipped files and put them all in one file,but when I tried to get map folder all I can find are maps to purchase other than installed UK one, or in my computer there is a file called current map DAT file which, when I click on it tells me I can damage the content if I try to change things. Where else should I look please.

Liz

The POIs are to be copied to the map folder on your TomTom.  If you connect your device and look at it in Explorer you'll see a load of yellow folders (see screen dump).  My map folder is the penultimate one - yours may be called something else.

Copy and paste the POIs from your PC to the map folder.

1359985150_TomTomfolders.JPG.77488661c7bd9d88c5636fe964fd696b.JPG

Stew - 2008-04-01 10:06 PM Way2go, Any advice on how to download poi's to a Garmin street pilot 3, I've tried in the past without sucess, any advice greatly received. Stew :->

Well, apparently you'll need to have your POIs in a .CSV format and can get them into your Garmin using some software called POILoader if you have the following devices:-

Streetpilot 27xx series,
Streetpilot 28xx series,
Streetpilot 7xxx series,
Streetpilot c-series,
Streetpilot i-series,

For the devices below, you'll need something called GPSR Overlay (whatever that is) :-

StreetPilot 26xx
StreetPilot III

A look in your manual or a search on Google may help?

W2G

Moncayoman - 2008-04-01 9:49 PM Dear Way2Go, I have been messing about for a few days trying to assemble my own poi for CC sites. Your poi set for the cc is superb and working a treat in my One Europe. Thank you very much for posting it here...it is appreciated.

You're very welcome although I have to say that the 'How to guide' is my own work but the POIs were downloaded from a web site.

W2G

Stew, if its the Streetpilot III then it wouldn't appear that you cannot add your own POIs?  I found an on-line manual on the Garmin site and there is no mention of installing your own.

Its also discontinued.  Might be time to put one on your Christmas List and make sure it will accept your own POIs.

I know all the TomToms do and I believe the Garmin Nuvi series do?

W2G

I think this thread is really interesting and has whetted my appetite to buy a Tom Tom as the maps on the sat-nav I have (Advent ) are way out of date now, especially for France. I am thinking of buying the 720 or 720T as I only go to France, n. Spain, Switzerland and maybe Germany and Italy. The 920 seems OTT for me. Any advice please?

Hello Patricia, we got our GO 720 and got the TMC attachment (that is what you get in the box extra with the 720T) as an addition. The two bought seperately were slightly cheaper than buying the T version (the 720 from see

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131112

it was slightly cheaper when we got ours and has been as low as £165.99 on this site, they seem to adjust prices daily.

and the TMC attachment from Amazon for £24,99).

However the T attachment is not very good and the one we had was the latest version that Tom Tom recalled and replaced earlier versions with, so I suppose I am saying currently I wouldn't bother with the T version, it don't work well (not very sensitive, aerial has to be placed up the centre of screen to pick up, loses signal constantly and when it does pick up the supplied information which comes from RDS is out of date), we have since returned our TMC and been refunded for it, a good reason to buy them seperately if you still fancy trying it though!

The GO720 I am very impressed with though and would certainly recomend it especially the updating facilities on Tom Tom Home which ensures that you have as updated mapping as possible for the maps that you currently own. This replaces our aging Navman GPS that they have withdrawn all support and new mapping for something that Tom Tom assure will not happen with them.

I also could see no little benefit with the 920 for the additional cost and it has now been replaced with the 930 so any 920's are old out of date stock now .

Bas

Bas

Thank you for your very useful comments. I am breathing a sigh of relief as I had just ordered the 720 from Ebuyer before I opened your post, so in fact I have followed your advice perfectly. I decided against the attachment mainly because of the data charges and also as I travel alone now I didn't need any more complications to worry about when I am driving.

That is another reason why I went down the 720 route rather than waiting for the NavTeq update as the Tom Tom seems to have some excellent facilities when driving solo. Hope so! Gone the whole hog and paid the extra for delivery tomorrow so that I can play with it over the weekend.

Thanks again.

Patricia - 2008-04-04 11:19 AM

I decided against the attachment mainly because of the data charges and also as I travel alone now I didn't need any more complications to worry about when I am driving.

That is another reason why I went down the 720 route rather than waiting for the NavTeq update as the Tom Tom seems to have some excellent facilities when driving solo. Hope so! Gone the whole hog and paid the extra for delivery tomorrow so that I can play with it over the weekend.

Thanks again.

I don't think you will be disapointed, it really is a good device.

Just to reiterate there are no data charges with the TMC attachment and if they can cure the sensitivity problem it will be a really good option.

I found E-buyer very good as well by the way.

Good luck I hope you like it.

Bas

Hello Patricia,

No worries you did read about data charges but I believe you are confusing the two systems that you can use with the 720, if you look at the link that Randaneur posted i.e.

http://www.tomtom.com/page/rds-tmc

you will find there are two ways to get traffic updates, one indeed costs you an annual subscription plus data charges on your mobile the other, the TMC method is free to use once you have bought the adaptor. Hope that helps to clear the confusion.

Bas

Archived