Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Club??

phantom

Hi I live in Northern Ireland and plan to come to Scotland and Northern England in August and thought joining one of the Clubs might be a good idea but which one? Is one better, cheaper to use or friendlier than the other? Could you give me your opinions?

The idea of cost per adult seems alien to me and appears to make the camping quite pricey compared to NI but then our facitilites aren't the greatest.

Tried getting into the Caravan Clubs list of sites but the website blocks me out - I would like to know how many CL sites there are in Ieland as this would be more useful for the rest of the year.

Sounds like a lot to ask but any views or advice would be great.

Thanks Phantom

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the CC sites are much better in every way. The C&CC sites are usually worn and old fashioned.

We have had enough of the C&CC sites, so we are not renewing our membership...........been with both for 6 years now.

Bet ye everyone thinks the opposite (lol)

Guest Tracker

That is not entirely true Handyman as some CCC sites are very modern.

As far as Scotland goes there very few cls or css and I believe from memory (I'm not in CC - only CCC) that the CC has more sites in Scotland than CCC does.

However the CCC book also lists some commercial sites which might be helpful.

The CCC does at least give a worthwhile discount to the over 55s.

I make it eleven CL's in Northern Ireland. As for which is best no contest the Caravan Club, many more sites and generally better ones in prime positions. If you want to search sites you can do so by going to CC web site then into search and book, you will not be able to search for CL without joining.

We have found better site choice, (as in more sites!) with the CC but we have booked our ferries through the C&CC who were cheaper than the CC.

We reckon in the last 12 months we have saved our membership fees on both, with the ferry prices and by using CL sites for overnight stops. plus the CC Europe books are invaluable when touring Europe.

Hi Phantom

I have to say that we dropped the C&CC as they were totally motorhome unfriendly. Very few sites have hard standing as the tenters don't like pitching into the gravel. We take exception to being asked to take up a small amount of room so some guy can pitch up in a huge 4 x 4 and erect what can only be described as a bedouin encampment with sun shelters barbies, tennis courts etc that spread like an m nylon growth across the grass. No I am afraid this club is distinctly unfriendly. When we were members we used the CS sites quite a bit and found that quite a number were not keeping to the 5 unit rule. One we went to had 25 units all crammed into a small field. We took pictures and went back 3 months later and things had changed. There were 32 units on the same patch. The Club had done nothing about the flagrant breaking of the rules. A total waste of space and my money. So they aint getting any more of me again. I'll stick with the CC. Its a bit regulated but you can see what your paying for and the CL sites are much better.

There............................ Got that one off my chest. Off to th New Forest. Oh! Forest Holidays are franchised off the the Camping and Caravan club.

There is always a sting in the tail but why are they not recycling their rubbish? It all goes in the same bin!!!!!!!!

Ned

Hi Phantom i have been in ccc for three years & have found them very good they have a site at Delamont as i am sure you know and one about 2 miles above Tullymore with a view to die for called the Rock having said that i am thinking of changing but i like yourself am going back to Scotland again this year for at least the 20th time and would hate to drive past Luss,Glencoe

We left the CCC club last year as we tended to only go to one site and that was Moffet in Scotland, and I did get the distinct impression that they arent keen on MH as one warden described damaging the hard standings!! I dont know how she came to that as mostly MH come and go without leaving a trace unlike the caravans with huge awnings and tow cars! one thing in their favour though is that over 55 s get a reduced rate as recycled teenagers! you can stay at CCC sites and pay the pitch fee which if your only staying a couple of nights is cheaper than paying the members fee. But I cant agree that their facilities are worn out they are nearlly as good as CC but you have to pay for hairdriers and they are mostly unheated, what I didnt like was being taken to your pitch and being instructed how to park we like to take our time and choose. 

Well what can I say,

Personally I prefer the CC&C sites, have found none of the problems mentioned above. They have a variety of sites, all listed and detailed in their guides. We found the CC more unfriendly to Motorhomes and expensive. But what really swayed it for us was the location of their sites being better for the areas we travel in and lower site fees.

We find the CC more sterile and clinical, hate to use the word snooty, but that is how we found them on the sites we used, but then just a few sites is unfair to form an opinion of all of them.

What we really like about the CC&C is the variety of sites available, friendly staff and always helpful and knowledgeable.

Jon.

We are with the C/club but were thinking of joining CCC also.

We have always been very satisfied with C/club sites ie showers clean and warm, the grounds well kept and wardens friendly.

Is it the norm to be shown to your pitch rather than choosing your own on CCC sites?

we have been with the ccc for around 10 yrs with tents a folding caravan and two large motorhomes we only ever stay on there sites when in the uk

my wife is disabled and we find them very helpful .Ok you get the warden who thinks he god but as rule they are friendly and helpful. When we use them they seems to be more motorhomes than any other type of camping.

We find the sites good toilets are always clean and showers hot so what more do you need from a site . I guess you pay your money and take choice. Also ccc do passport which get stamped for each night camped ever so many stamps you get a free night .

We are in both clubs not only for the sites but also for the variety of service that they offer. We 'shop' between their ferry booking services (and others), have RAC Arrival etc. The C&CC also have their motorhome service points that use can use for a fee without staying on the site.

I would agree that the CC web site and bookings procedure is better but hayho the cost of being a member of both is not huge when I consider the benefits that I get back through the discounting of the other services that we use.

Camping and Caravan club for me every time,Less regulation,much more information in their Out And About magazine as to where weekend Meets and Holiday sites are at .directions on how to get there ,no booking generally required,plenty of Certified sites C Ls.unlike theCaravan Club where to join centre rallies you need centre booklets,send a cheque ,book in advance ,told where and how to park etc. I dont like rallies I hear you say,well I dont like being organised either ,but on a Camping Club rally ,after initial arrival ,paying your fee,you are usually told "find yourself a spot on the field ,make sure you are 20 feet from the nearest unit and enjoy," No pressure to join in if you don't want to,do your own thing,or participate in what ever happens to be arranged. I love it. *-)

CC every time for us. Admittedly we haven't used large numbers of C&CC sites but what we have left us with sour tastes. Examples for us included young people & adults on mini motos, young people running wild until late & their associated noise. Thanks but no thanks.

If that sort of thing doesn't bother you well I'd join both, if it does well CC it is. Yes they can be sterile/over regulated/inhabited by miserable middle class snobs, (us.. haha)

But the sheer consistency does it for us. You know what you are getting. Each to their own etc etc.

Martyn

1. Instead of listening to our views! the proof of the pudding -------   Why dont you go to a couple and compare? we were members of both for years and only left CCC because we totted up and found that we were using more CC sites, both clubs are good its just a case of horses for courses I wouldnt say for one min; that one is more friendly than the other! people all have their own personalities and you get good and bad in both. And as I said before if money is an issue  you get a discount with CCC if over 55. But I did hear a Female warden when I was waiting to book in I was behind about 4 others and she came in and said "Oh and there,s a flippin big MH" now it is 21' !! I asked her what she had against MH and she said "well they can damage the hardstandings!!!!  Once on site WE dont move. Ive never heard anything like this on a CC site Soooooooo.!

i wouldn't want to enter into an argument about which club is best, as it depends on what you want out of your camping. I have been a member of both clubs for many years ( well in excess of 30 in both) and have always found the sites very good in their own ways. However, what I find suprising is that no-one has mentioned that the Camping And Caravanning Club (CCC) has its own dedicated Motor Caravan Section, which as the name implies, caters for us motorhomers. It cost an extra £4 a year subscription, holds Meets all over the country and has an informative magazine which is sent to all members 3 times a year. Something the Caravan Club has not.

Regards

Peter42

We are members of both, don't have a preference, nor have we had any particular issues at either of the club's sites.

There are though 2 points which do annoy me with the Caravan Club.

1/ Last year we booked a pitch at a site in Scotland which had a few pitches overlooking a harbour wall (what you would consider prime). It was booked for a few days midweek, not during school holdays, and months in advance. We arrived mid afternoon and were able to take one of the pitches on the harbour wall. But, even though we had booked months prior; with the assumption that we would have a 'prime' position; if we had been a couple of hours later we would only have been able to pitch at the back of the site.

2/ They do not take a deposit for bookings and their site shows most of the sites in popular places are full for all weekends and bank holidays ~ months and months in advance. By their own admission many of the bookings turn out to be no-shows or last minute cancellations, which doesn't help anyone other than those selfish people making block bookings early in the year.

If we had to give up membership of one, it would be a difficult decision as by being a member of both gives a massive amount of CS's and CL's together with Club sites in good positions.

Just got back from a week in the Lake District the last site we stayed on was a CC at Coniston, "something Coppice", nice location but a grim sprawling site in need of some TLC. 2 MVSP's and some very old 3/8" BSP water taps, not much use at all. Very expensive at £36.20 for 2 nights, got fed up having showers to get my money's worth.

I was in the CCC but haven't renewed this year after 9 years, don't seem to use them much these days.

Found both to be very mixed with old and new toilets blocks etc, helpful wardens/site managers and grumpy ones. You pay your money and take your choice. One is certainly not better than the other they are just different and appeal to different folk. The CC used to be for the Col Blimp's and the CCC for screaming kids and to some extent they still are.

We find all the sites different, and all the people different, we don't mind who is 'next door'.

We also go for something different, a mixture of young and old, its good to see young children doing their own thing and just being children.

We are not so keen on old and polite people sites, they're not so vibrant as the young and they often don't talk.

Don't judge people by their choice of accomodation its often due to aches and pains!

(Ps we are late 70's)

LB

Archived