Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Club??

phantom

stelynn - 2008-03-26 10:34 PM We are members of both, don't have a preference, nor have we had any particular issues at either of the club's sites. There are though 2 points which do annoy me with the Caravan Club. 1/ Last year we booked a pitch at a site in Scotland which had a few pitches overlooking a harbour wall (what you would consider prime). It was booked for a few days midweek, not during school holdays, and months in advance. We arrived mid afternoon and were able to take one of the pitches on the harbour wall. But, even though we had booked months prior; with the assumption that we would have a 'prime' position; if we had been a couple of hours later we would only have been able to pitch at the back of the site. 2/ They do not take a deposit for bookings and their site shows most of the sites in popular places are full for all weekends and bank holidays ~ months and months in advance. By their own admission many of the bookings turn out to be no-shows or last minute cancellations, which doesn't help anyone other than those selfish people making block bookings early in the year. If we had to give up membership of one, it would be a difficult decision as by being a member of both gives a massive amount of CS's and CL's together with Club sites in good positions.

Im very glad that you cant book your pitch!! As the same people that make all the block bookings would be the same people that would book ALL the prime positions!! if you want a choice of site you plan to arrive as near 12.00 as you can.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Maggyd,

The point I was trying to make with regard to 'prime' pitches is that the Site Managers/Wardens are generally aware of the 'prime/popular' pitches within their site and could allocate them on a first 'booked' basis~together with taking a booking deposit to stop block bookers.

We both work so are only able to use 'Home' at weekends or annual holidays. In either case we generally wouldn't normally arrive on site 'til about 5 or 6 pm.

I think the Caravan Club should take deposits for each booking to combat block booking and they should also penalise 'no shows' or those that cancel regularly ~ which doesn't appear to happen.

Regards,

Steve

One of the big benefits of the Caravan Club is that no one can 'pre-book' a pitch you get to select the pitch you want from those available when you arrive, much better than being led by a Warden to a take it or leave it pitch. On occasion (at Bladon Chains for instance) we have been asked if we would leave a certain pitch available as they have a large RV coming in and that was the only one that it could manouvre onto easily, but that is quite reasonable in my view.

Bas

I totally agree with what you say about taking a deposit! and I have heard lots of other members on site saying the same.  We were furious when we went to Rowntree park we had booked about 2 weeks before we went and were told that they was a vacancy but it would be an allocated site! which I thought well fair enough if there is bigger vans coming they dont want us on a big site (ours is 21ft) when we arrived they were lots of empty places and they told us we had to go to this one, that was in the river side bit and right next to the bins, filler and emptying bit they wouldnt let us move when we asked and to add insult to injury they was an empty place further up that was empty till the night before we left! other people were asking why we hadnt moved. Now that seems to me that you can allocate sites! it should have been first come first served.  You see you cant please everyone, and if I am told that they need to allocate us again Ill tell them what to do with it.  It was made worse by the fact that it was the first time away since losing our 14 year old little dog and we just sat stareing at this high brick wall, we didnt want to go out on our usual walks and it has put me off ever going there again. And I asked a lady that was looking for a site how  long ago had she booked and she said just at the beging of the week. There Ive had my grumble.

Hey Ho, we're in both and have had our membership fees paid for in discounts. Our travels are mostly restricted to Scotland and there are great sites in both clubs. However, there are also stacks more sites un-affiliated to either club in Scotland many of which are high quality. It is also easier to camp off site in Scotland than in England or Ireland.

Try, Kirkcudbright, Lochgilphead & Callandar amonst other good non club sites. Read Andy Stothert's Scottish travel notes for wild sites.

Take a look at www.stevecarter.com/latest/latesttorridon.htm for superb photos from Wester Ross.

Awra best from Bute - Argyler

Guest peter
mco - 2008-03-26 3:49 PM

Can anyone tell me if you choose your own pitch or do you have to pitch where you are told to on C&CC sites? Thanks.

You pitch where you are told , and don't argue o/k. :D

peter - 2008-03-27 11:38 PM

mco - 2008-03-26 3:49 PM

Can anyone tell me if you choose your own pitch or do you have to pitch where you are told to on C&CC sites? Thanks.

You pitch where you are told , and don't argue o/k. :D

Don,t necessarilly agree. Some sites are as Peter described but others in low season are far more relaxed. Our limited experience is of some C&CC sites where we were directed towards the non hookup half of the site and left to chose where we wanted to pitch. Similarly the same with Forest Holidays who are now run by C&CC.

Whatever just enjoy.

C.

Has anyone stayed at Gaasper Camping in Amsterdam? If so, then you have missed an incredible experience of dictatorship. In comparison CC or CCC sites are relaxed, informal, friendly and positively laid back.

Can you imagine not only being shown to your picth but instructed on how to reverse where and when, when to stop to the inch and God help you if you move it 6 inches to get it more level later as we did. Let alone being told off severly for using the wrong toilet block I doubt even the guy at Llanystumdwy (CC&C) 2006 comes close.

Jon.

Well Brambles, that was my experience on one Caravan Club site. We all had to be the "right way round" with our nose over the caravan jockey wheel slab etc, etc. It was on the IOW.

No thanks, I don,t wish to be "organised" on holiday. Its taken me years to get the wife trained!.

Thanks for your reply Peter. Being told where to park is exactly why we don't use private sites if we can help it. Hence my question about C&CC parking policy.

There is a C&CC site where we've planned our next trip which would be handy BUT won't join the club if we are told where to park.

We are great believers of the adage ' yer pays yer money yer takes yer choice.

As with most things, there is no single, all encompassing answer.  CC sites are, in our experience, a bit more regimented than C&CC sites, but it depends on how many pitches are available at the time you arrive, and on how many have been booked during the time you intend staying.  In part therefore, you are fighting the great British booking preoccupation, that dictates almost all popular Club sites will by now have almost every available pitch booked for weekends until September, bank holiday weekends especially, and almost all pitches booked during the school holidays.  That is not truly the fault of the clubs, it is the Great British Public in a panic over getting their towel on the sun-lounger first!

Second factor is the personality of the warden/site owner.  Some, seemngly having taken the stick all their working lives, enjoy the opportunity to give some back in retirement.  Some are very selective on how the apply this, so those with a "matey" approach get treated differently to those who seem a bit more reserved.  As with many things British, class rules!

Then there is the little matter of the one partner who is deliriously happy with their new job, and the other who is visibly much less so.  These people are, in effect, paid volunteers, and many have never done the job before.  Some respond well when chaos ensues, others just panic and become tetchy.  Some take to it like ducks to water, others can't cope, or find it is not for them.

Given this variability, it is impossible to forecast what reception you will get.  Some will enjoy bossing you around, some will do so because they think that is what is expected, others will leave you to choose, others again couldn't give a damn! 

You just have to accept what you find, try not to get stroppy if you don't at first like it, maintain a friendly approach, and try to negotiate you way to happiness when necessary!  Catch any of them in a calm moment, chat to them, and the climate will change whatever it was when you arrived.  Ultimately, what you encounter, as with most things, is just people being their infinitely varied selves.

I have been a member of both but found the CC to be too snooty, regimented. and expensive! My reasons for camping, caravanning, and motorhoming was to get out of the town and enjoy the country. My only reason for joining CC was to take advantage of the insurance discount but I have since found out that my insurance company (Safeguard) will offer the same discount to CCC members.

Although CC members are offered discounts by Norfolkline ferries I found CCC only too willing to pricematch.

Finally, with the CCC, as an RAC member I was able to use Arrival recovery.

. Whats all this about service points ?This is a motorhome forum, we are all self contained, flushing toilets, hot and cold running water, showers, leisure batteries and inverters etc, all we need is a bit of firm ground, a tap for water, and a waste disposal point. If you want all mod cons sell the MH and stay at Holiday Inns.

As for being placed on site lets remember that its THEIR site and THEIR rules, BUT if they want our money they have got to please us. If you dont like it say so, if you dont get satisfaction, dont waste time whinging,go elsewhere. Make them fight for your hard earned brass !

But we've booked you may say! More fool you if you dont know the site.

In the last 45 years I have rarely booked and then never for more than 2 nights. If I like it, I will stay, if not I only have to put up with it for 2 nights.

My vote goes to the Caravan And Camping Club

geoff - 2008-03-29 2:45 PM ......... Whats all this about service points ?This is a motorhome forum, we are all self contained, flushing toilets, hot and cold running water, showers, leisure batteries and inverters etc, all we need is a bit of firm ground, a tap for water, and a waste disposal point. If you want all mod cons sell the MH and stay at Holiday Inns. .............

Great Sweeping Generalisations, Part 1!! :-)

What about all those folk with panel van conversions, which are, on the whole, far less self sufficient than coachbuilts?  Yes, yes, before you all get over excited, I know some are, but most are not, or are not so used.

Even Geoff, it seems, must use the service points sometimes.  All that autonomy must result in a full waste, or toilet, tank at some stage.  Unless you are one of that unspeakable group of motorhomers who drive away with the drain valve cracked open and distribute your waste to the public benefit, and chuck the contents of your toilet tank in the hedge, that is.

Dear me!  Surely this is not the motorhome thought police laying down their rules of eagagement.  "If you use site facilities, you aren't a proper motorhomer, and must henceforth sell up and occupy hotels only"!  We almost never use our on board facilities, much preferring to use site facilities that others have the pleasure of cleaning, and I have no intention of selling the van to stay in hotels.  Somehow, there's just so much more to motorhoming than where you wash and poo! :-)

Dont get me wrong Brian . I DID say that I needed service facilities but the point I was making is, that is ALL that I require on a campsite particularly on a CL or CS.

I have also used a conversion for many years, I carried a portaloo, and as an ex nurse who has cleaned up far worse, I was not too bothered about cleaning my own loo after I had used it.

A question for you Brian, why spend good money on onboard facilities that you dont want to utilise ? As a Yorkshireman I cant understand that. 8-)

We have had our motorhome for just over a year now, did 12000 miles, and always used its shower, every day.

But i do go to the toilet block for a poo, as i empty the tank, and pee is as far i want to go when emptying the toilet.

CC have much nicer toilets IMO, and much better service points as well

geoff - 2008-03-29 2:45 PM

I have been a member of both but found the CC to be too snooty, regimented. and expensive! My reasons for camping, caravanning, and motorhoming was to get out of the town and enjoy the country. My only reason for joining CC was to take advantage of the insurance discount but I have since found out that my insurance company (Safeguard) will offer the same discount to CCC members.

It is right we all have differant views and sometimes even agree but I am with Brian on most of this. It depends on a lot of things but I use Caravan Club sites a lot. I have never found them snooty in fact the opposite the wardens are always helpful and I have never been told where to pitch, just pointed in direction of empty pitches and when I decide come back to office and let them know. Regimented, well every campsite must have some rules but it all seems pretty relaxed to me. I also find the sites well priced for what you get, I to never use my vans facilities if site ones are availible. My reasons for motorhome is I find it totally relaxing, I can book ahead or out of season just tour around and if no site is found no problem I can use the van facilities. Each to their own but I have no wish to camp by the road a well maintained good site every time.

I thought this thread was to discuss the merits of the respective organisations and their sites ? Who said anything about camping by the roadside ? I love stellplatz and aires. £ 4 a night or even free !

Unlike Rupert I dont think a charge of up to £25 a night for a CC site to be reasonable and would ask where he parks if, as he says, he "cant find a site "? Would he consider aires or stellplatz suitable places ?

geoff - 2008-03-29 11:18 PM

I thought this thread was to discuss the merits of the respective organisations and their sites ? Who said anything about camping by the roadside ? I love stellplatz and aires. £ 4 a night or even free !

Unlike Rupert I dont think a charge of up to £25 a night for a CC site to be reasonable and would ask where he parks if, as he says, he "cant find a site "? Would he consider aires or stellplatz suitable places ?

I never said I always stay at sites, sometimes for various reasons it is not practical I just prefer it. In the UK their can be no doubt that overall Caravan Club sites are best. Sure I have used aires but consider them emergency stopovers not somewhere to relax for a few days and as you said thread was about the two clubs. £25 a night where did that come from, I assume you have more than two people if you pay this much, we have just the two of us and have never paid anything like that.

I love these 'wild campers'! They tell us about how they don't like sites and prefer the freedom of being able to pitch by a rushing stream or somewhere equally romantic. They never mention that they always have to park facing outwards for a quick getaway and how they can't put external silver screens on as they hinder a quick escape when the knock on the door comes in the midlle of the night!

But where every one of them gives the game away is when they profess their love of stelplatz and aires at only seven euro or four pounds. So, they don't like a lovely site, where they have a safe, secure and large pitch, but they love a car park with a motorhome three feet away on either side with the occupants gawping through their window whilst they eat!

There's only one very obvious conclusion here I'm afraid.

Money! Money, Money!

There's absolutely no shame in not being well off and not wanting to pay for a proper site. There's no shame in being naturally tight-fisted and wanting to have a holiday with as little expense as possible. But for God's sake stop trying to convince us all that you don't use sites because you're an exciting an adventurous person!

No one who can claim to like staying on a crowded car park, whatever fancy name you give it, can be called exciting or adventurous!

I love good sites, I love to wild camp when in the right location (i.e. somewhere really wild) and I'll use aires or stellplatz occasionally for an overnight stop but I won't tell a load of porkies about how I hate sites because I'm some modern kind of pioneer!

We are members of the CCC

The thing is, we never used any of their sites after our first year as we always thought that both of them left quiet a lot to be desired.

We dont have to try to justify what we do we just do it, and we think what we do is the same as that which people would normaly want to do.

We do what we want to do, when we want to do it and nothing else, we get our pleasure from staying on the type of site that suits our needs.

We like space in our living area's, we like having all the accessories, what does two/three hours of a two week holiday erecting and dismantling awnings matter if you have enjoyed the luxury of the space for two weeks.

Wild campers cannot do this so they attempt to ridicule those of us who can and do.

In rainy weather is it better to sit in a cramped living space or sit in a spacious awning.

In hot sunny weather is it better to sit in the open or sit in the shade.

Personally I erect our equipment, partly for myself of course, but mostly because I want my family to have the best that I can give them so that they too will enjoy their holiday more and if they do, then I consider it time very well spent

We like to switch on and use whatever equipment we want to use when we want to use it, exactly the same as we do at home and find absolutely no pleasure in "doing without" just because we are "in the caravan"

How much extra pleasure is gained on a holiday spent hunting around for free facilities, than that gained from a holiday relaxing and enjoying on a pleasant site paying for what you get.

What does the level of the site fee matter if you are getting what you believe to be good value for money??

As for moaning about kids noise, well, were you never a kid yourself, believe it or not kids are an essential part of life and something to be enjoyed, although I have to admit I couldn't eat a whole one.

These days one get's what one pays for and nothing else

Thank goodness we are all different

Archived