wifi C/Club

omar

Price for wifi from company called KeZone

1 hour £6 Available for 24 hrs from Login

4 hours £10 " " " " " "

7 days £25

30 days £40

I certainly would not consider paying those kind of charges.Recently spent weekend in Milan and our hotel it was free >:-) >:-) >:-)

Guest Tracker
armstrongpiper - 2008-03-25 5:41 PM

Please forgive me for being ignorant, but what does wih C/Club mean?

NOT wih, but WIFI

It's referring to the Caravan Club installing wifi connections on their clob sites.

I agree though - it does seem expensive. I think I would rather get the package from '3' or T-Mobile for broadband on the move - at £15 per month for 3GB I could probably do away with the home connection too.

Quite a few continental sites provide wifi free to campers, others make a nominal charge. I am at Lake Lucerne at the moment and the charge is CHF 5.00 ( just over £2 ) for 24 hours. You'd be surprised how long 24 hours lasts. I use it for 3 or 4 hours a night so that gives about a week's usage.

Phil.

The thing is that the charges at CC sites are not out of line with the market in this country - so don't blame the CC (which is only making an extra facility available). If you want to blame anyone (if blame is the word) the point to the ISPs.

The model adopted by the CC is to install hotspots owned by a company called Kezone for use by the subset of customers who require access. If you compare the prices charged by the CC for Kezone cards to the normal Kezone rates and the BT Openzone rates on their web sites you wil find that the CC is not out of line with the rest of the market. The Kezone cards can actually be used at any Kezone hotspot, not just the place where it was bought.

The main factor with this model is that it is a relatively new market and, as such, still relatively highly priced. It may well be that the current price competition between mobile phone operators (T-Mobile, 3 and Vodafone) which is reducing charges will result in Kezone and BT reducing their prices - but I expect that it will depend whether their business models will allow that.

Graham

Where I think this business model goes awry is in not comparing like for like. Those who require a mobile internet, actively seek out an available service and accept the price premium. Campsites, on the other hand, are a captive audience of no more than potential users, whose familiarity with the internet is largely home-based, via monthly subscription. It's that normal internet expense which will be compared to the fees for the campsite service, and if it seems too high, many won't use it. It won't matter to them that the fees concerned are commensurate with other players in the mobile internet market - they're simply too high compared to what they normally pay at home.

I've actually read what the company concerned have had to say, in response to many campsite users complaining of the high charges. Their main line of defence is that it's competetive in the current market. But, wouldn't it be better to have fifty users a day paying a couple of quid, rather than just five a day paying a lot more?

Let's not forget that MacDonald's will often be just down the road for free.

Shaun

Shaun - 2008-03-26 2:59 PM

Where I think this business model goes awry is in not comparing like for like.

I agree - but I also think that comparing McDonalds (and other companies which provide free access for a limited time to customers) and the CC offering is not like with like.

The comparison for the CC model is companies like BT Openzone and Kezone (the CC provider). When one opens an account with (or buys a scratch card from) those companies then one has access to the full network of their WiFi points - which is what their prices are based on. The target market is mobile workers rather than people staying at camp sites.

One could argue, therefore, that it is the wrong model for the CC to choose. However, given the demand from people for WiFi at sites and the (lack of) alternatives one has to ask if they could have done anything else.

Graham

Archived