Globebus 1

Guest Ian

I have ordered a Globebus 1 with a 2.8 engine, delivery hopefully March 1st. Does this motor have any recurring problems or things to lookout for, also would a larger leisure battery be sensible and fitting an LPG tank or bottles in the existing side locker?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Since the 2002 revamp of the Boxer/Ducato/Jumper chassis the only criticism of the 2.8 power-train I recall reading related to the complexity of the cam-belt tensioning system. For 2002-onwards 2.8-engined models complaints about 5th gear problems seem to have ceased, though the well-known "wind noise through cab door-seals" thing still comes up occasionally. There's another chassis revision/replacement imminent - but I expect you're aware of this. As far as upping the battery capacity and opting for an 'autogas' system are concerned, it largely depends on how you anticipate using the vehicle. If you plan to wild-camp abroad in cold weather for long periods then a hulking great battery and refillable gas-reservoir might be sensible just to drive the heater. I note from Dethleffs' website that Globebus has a gel battery, but no capacity is given. I would guess about 80Ah, which is on the low side of average but should be adequate for a design as compact as Globebus. It's really up to you - if you believe a larger capacity battery could be needed to meet future requirements, then (assuming the option is available and the cost not outrageous) it might be logical to specify it now as part of your order rather replace the standard battery later. Gel batteries are expensive and, if you subsequently chose to economise by using a large 'ordinary' lead-acid type instead, you would need to adjust the motorhome's charging system to match. The subject of exchangeable bottles versus refillable gas canisters or tanks has been discussed at length on the forum, but the pros and cons are really self-evident. Again it's a matter of usage - if you plan to be off-campsite abroad a lot then a refillable LPG reservoir will be advantageous, otherwise it probably won't. Refillable bottles or tanks are straightforward to fit, so you can happily hold fire until you've had some practical experience with your Globebus and are able to make an informed decision about the benefits.

Archived