portable solar panels

ike

i personaly do not own one but have one on the roof.but a freind does use one and is pleased 1...cost 2....he directs it to the sun,thus gaining from a small panel as much as possible.20w ....main draw back being security.

I have one.

In summer, with reasonable weather,it will kepp us going indefinitely. Provided you are not too power hungry (just lights, pump lcd tv etc). When I am around I do rotate it to track the sun. As far a security goes, i use a peice of 1/8" stainlesssteel cable.

I have used both a free-standing and a roof-mounted panel over the years. The free-standing has the advantage of you being able to turn it into the sun, and they stand at about 45degrees to the horizon, which is roughly the best angle to catch the sun 'full-face' while in Europe. But of course you have to be in attendance to track the sun throughout the day for this to have full effect, and

there is always the chance of some light-fingered gentleman ( or lady!) helping themselves to the panel. Even a steel wire rope to anchor it to your vehicle is no guarantee that this will not happen. The roof-mounted panel is not so obvious or so easily stolen (but it can happen). It is permanently fitted, so helps to keep the battery topped up throughout the year and needs no setting up while on site. The downside ( or, at least, the only one that comes to mind) is that being laid flat it is never at the optimum angle for receiving the suns rays ( unless you camp on the equator!). You pays yer money, etc. Personally I prefer it to be on the roof and out of the way of little doggies cocked legs.

Regards,

Peter42

I have one of each, that is a roof mounted and freestanding.

The freestanding is useful and here are my pro's and con's.

Pro's

They can be more effective than roof mounted as they can be positioned at a better angle and direction to the sun.  They can be in the sun whilst your van is in the shade. Useful when its hot.

They can create a talking point with other campers especially abroad!

Con’s

They are a bit of a security risk if you leave your unit. You are leaving a couple of hundreds pounds worth of kit on display outside your van.

They are not very convenient to use in car parks or the like.

You have to provide some way of connecting them to the battery inside your van when they are used outside.

You have to find somewhere in your van to store them when not in use.

They can become an obsession as try to squeeze the maximum amps out by dashing out to move the unit to face the sun again or to avoid an approaching shadow!

I bought my freestanding one originally because I have an elevating roof camper but found I also really wanted to make use of all available sun when on the move or stopped in car parks or roadside etc. So fitted a roof one and be blowed to the funny looks it causes. If you have a “normal” motorhome with a large flat roof I would think overall a roof mounted one would be best even given the less than ideal angle (unless you plan to visit the tropics).

Hope this helps.

Sorry, Peter42 seems to be a quicker typer than me and beaten me to my main points. 

You can buy a ready made unit with support legs or a standaard panel of any size of the type normally roof mounted but would have to support it somehow. And don't forget you will need a regulator for any other than the smallest panel.  

We bought one at the NEC show in Autumn 2006 and have been very pleased with it - Carasolar 50 from Solar Solutions (though it is more square like the 38 than the illustration on the web page).

We go to a number of English Civil War re-enactment events where there is no hook-up and, whilst there might be enough juice in the battery, the panel means that we don't have to skimp on anything. The temporary camp sites at such events have security so, together with a cable fastening it to the van, we don't worry about theft. The nature of the event means that we are around sufficiently regularly to move it round to track the sun.

We've also used it at a couple of meets/rallies - most recently the weekend before last at Newark. Even with all the rain it was managing to generate some juice during most of the daylight hours.

Graham

Archived