Charging of Engine Battery.

cliveholt

I have a problem with the Charging of the Engine Battery via the Body Shell Batteries. In my N+B Flair 8000i I have 2 leisure gell 80 amp batteries and when stored between trips with a 230/240 V supply connected, hold a charge of between 13.7 and 14.4 V. Via this system these 2 batteries are supposed to charge the Engine lead/acid battery. The control panel shows both the voltage level in both types of battery and the leisure batteries are charging the Engine battery!

Unfortunately over say a 4 week period the engine battery goes from 12.8 V to under 12V. The only way to charge it is via seperate charger than onboard unit, which is a Electrnic Battery Charger from Gbe of Italy A2035.

The 8000i is just 2 years old and in the first year Hymer at Preston changed both leisure batteries claiming this was problem. In February 08 I had to change the Engine Battery, which was not holding charge. Still the same problems. All that is fed are the normal security items, Alarm and tracker run from Engine Battery.

Fuses and wiring all look good, panel indicating charging taking place! Has anyone experenced a similar problem and come up with an answer to problem?

Just an idea, but does your charger unit have a setting for gel batterys and a switch over to lead acid. I believe gels have to be charged at a lower rate, if so it may not be producing enough charge for the engine battery. If it does have 2 settings then disconect the liesures and switch to lead acid and see how the charge holds on the starter one considering its draining off for the alarm and tracker. Good luck chas

The charger is automitic unit, with the switch on the panel of the charger to gel batteries. Hymer Preston tell me once the Leisure batteries reach above the 13.7 V level, it should charge Engine battary. I suppect the unit is not regulating the flow correctly.

You have an emergency plug in fuse, to by pass Leisure Batteries, but when I tried this in early days, it appeared to do nothing?? To disconnect the Leisure is not the best way as in a box tucked away

Hi Clive,

Just a stab in the dark, but is the system maybe only designed to supply a trickle charge to the vehicle battery and your alarm tracker unit is drawing more than is being supplied. Some of these Alarms and trackers can draw quite a heavy current and will soon flatten a battery if there are other loads as well like radio etc. For example have you had the radio supply modified to keep the radio operation continuoisly with ignition off. This puts another small load on the battery. Then there may be other circuitry like a relay associated with the charging circuits.

As I said, a stab in the dark not knowing all the destails of your system.

Jon.

Archived