Steering vibration,on a 2002,Boxer 2.8 Hdi

gboden65

Hi all, I have a problem with my Autocruise Starquest, I thougth it was a wheel balance problem,it comes in at 30mph,and clears at40mph. my son Kevin,30 years in the tyre game,balanced all four wheels, we at his request had them balanced,elswhere,just to be shure.

No luck,so thinking it ma be a worn drive shaft, we had a new one fitted at a local garage, familiar with Boxer vans, No luck, the drivers side trailing arm bush was worn,and so replaced, No luck,tyre's are Mitch camping 215/70 R15C.

HELP. *-)

Last year I had a blow-out on my way to France and consequently had to buy four new tyres (Michelin Camper) in Boulogne due to nails being found in the other three (picked up on the M25 in the rush-hour!). I continued my journey but after 700-800 miles I had a similar experience which really unnerved me after my experience on the M25 especially going down some very steep and long inclines. I cannot remember the speed but I think it was at about 40 - 50 mph. It felt as if a wheel was loose. I too had the balancing checked but was told that everything was fine.

And so it was! This problem just disappeared and I have done several thousand miles since. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

gboden65 - 2008-03-29 3:40 PM

Hi all, I have a problem with my Autocruise Starquest, I thougth it was a wheel balance problem,it comes in at 30mph,and clears at40mph.

HELP. *-)

Later you write

the only time I seem to get this problem, is when accelerating in third gear, but it shakes the steering wheel, a bit of a nuisance

*-)

Is it only when in 3rd gear, or generally just between 30 & 40 MPH ?

If its the former, it could be a gearbox problem ????

Guest Tracker

Grasping at straws maybe?

Possibly not enough weight on the front wheels when a small imbalance could become greater?

When accelerating the load shifts from front to rear reducing weight on the front wheels.

Does it do unladen or laden or both?

I have a 1998 fiat Autotrail with the same problem only the vibration occurs between 45mph and 58mph. I get the vibration in 4th gear and sometimes 5th. The vibration is in the floor of the vehicle and only occurs when I put power to the engine, let the power off and it stops, a lot worse when going up hills. Level road no problem unless I put the power down full.

I have changed wheels from another vehicle

Replaced N/S and O/S driveshafts and wheel bearings

All engine mountains

Ball joints on both sides.

Ran the vehicle with no load and full load made no difference.

The vehicle was MOTed recently and I mentioned the problem to the examiner and he gave her a detailed examination and could find nothing wrong.

I have spoken to Autotrail who were of no assistance. Also contacted Fiat and there they were even less concerned.

I have spoken to different mechanics and I have had suggestions from gearbox to the balance of the vehicle onthe chassie. It has been in my vehicle for the past year and a half and does my head in. I thought that Fiat would have experts who could understand the changes that I have made and explain what could be wrong.

This is not a lot of assistance to you but at least you know someone else is shaking down the road. You should try your vehicle if the vibration is at its worst when you put on the power.

Boxer 1

qboden65

I took my vehicle to a different mechanic and he thinks that there is a problem with my flywheel. It is mounted in rubber and he thinks the rubber is damaged which is causing the vehicle to vibrate.

The reason that I posted a reply to you is that I also thought that my wheels were off balance. It was only after getting all the wheels balanced and moved around the vehicle that I relaised it was not the tyres.

The mechanic is taking my vehicle in for fixing on Fri coming. I will let you know the outcome.

Boxer 1

Thank,s,boxer 1, well cant say you have missed much out, done the shafts, wheels, bushes, while it was there had the timing belt changed,

just for the hell of it.

really look forward to hearing about the flyweel. our family have been in the tyre game,for 40year,s ,and this is a beauty.

Got the m o t, soon, perhaps they may pick up on something. *-)

Check the inner sidewall as well as the treads.

A pal of mine had a severe vibration at the steering wheel and I found a bulge on the inside sidewall where the plies had separated. We put the spare on and the problem disappeared.

Archived