Dogs to Spain

Vulcan2theskies

If you have the PETS Passport and all vaccinations up to date you will be fine.

You can adhere to the anti -rabies validity date which is 2 years and in some cases 3 years. so you do not need to have the anti-rabies vaccination every year (unless you are staying in the country for 3 months or more, in that case the rules of the country you are in applies eg 1 year). so just check to see what your pets passport says.

scalibor collar has been mentioned.

Advantix is better than Frontline as it covers more eg mosquito bites.

K9 Advantix repels and kills mosquitoes before they can bite.

K9 Advantix repels ticks before they can attach.

Stops fleas from biting.

Frontline still lets ticks attach themselves.

However you must use Frontline for the treatment to return back to UK. So we try to time our useage for that.

If going to southern Europe we do tend to use Advantix and saclibor collar. Otherwise we continue with Frontline.

Another good thing with Advantix it keeps working after swimming which is good for dogs who like water.

zulurita - 2008-03-31 4:57 PM If you have the PETS Passport and all vaccinations up to date you will be fine. You can adhere to the anti -rabies validity date which is 2 years and in some cases 3 years. so you do not need to have the anti-rabies vaccination every year (unless you are staying in the country for 3 months or more, in that case the rules of the country you are in applies eg 1 year). so just check to see what your pets passport says. scalibor collar has been mentioned. Advantix is better than Frontline as it covers more eg mosquito bites. K9 Advantix repels and kills mosquitoes before they can bite. K9 Advantix repels ticks before they can attach. Stops fleas from biting. Frontline still lets ticks attach themselves. However you must use Frontline for the treatment to return back to UK. So we try to time our useage for that. If going to southern Europe we do tend to use Advantix and saclibor collar. Otherwise we continue with Frontline. Another good thing with Advantix it keeps working after swimming which is good for dogs who like water.

We are timing to use Frontline before we leave we will be away for 6 weeks! when do you use the Frontline? I thought they see a vet 24 hrs before leaving and I have been told it will be an injection! do they use frontline as well? 

Hi

You have to see a vet more than 24hrs and less than 48hrs before return to the UK On one occasion the vet used Advantix instead of Frontline which proved acceptable for the anti tick/flea treatment. They also have to have antiworm treatment at the same time which is either an injection or a tablet. Hamish the westie has had both on different occations depending on which vet we have been to. Regards Geoff

We tend to use Frontline on a monthly basis even at home here in the UK. (although we do change to Advantix if going to southern europe). We just make sure that it roughly coincides with the return appointment with the vet (as stated elsewhere treatment with Frontline and worming treatment needs to be 24hrs before travel back to UK and not more than 48 hrs).

Although a vet gave Advantix in the previous post. Our friends came with us last time and they had Advantix and the vet at Arques did say to them that it wasn't allowed for the Pets Passport scheme and had to use Frontline! Looks like they were ok for getting back to UK.

However as UK can be difficult and I suppose it depends which port you go from or shuttle. But I would sooner be safe than sorry.

We do not go to the vet in the UK BEFORE leaving for France or Spain.

The Vet in france or elsewhere has to give the treatment: frontline and drontal plus so that they can enter it in the pets passport. However you can take along your own frontline and Drontal Plus to cut down the cost.

The vets in France sometimes use an injection for the worm treatment but also use the tablets.

We tend to book our vets appointment on our outward journey. Not usually at Calais as we prefer not to hang around Calais for 24 hours.

We usually have a vet a days journey away.

Our dog went to Spain (as well as Portugal and France) with us this last winter for 3 months.

Spain is in the EU so no problem, The dog was taken to the vet in St Maure (just round the corner from the aire) for the return journey home. We try to travel with our dog during the 24 hours wait between seeing the vet and the earliest you can embark. I don't see any point in kicking your heels in Calais for 24 hours, Le Touquet may be, but certainly not Calais.

Vets tend to be cheaper the further you are from the channel ports.

As this will be our first trip abroad with our little 3kg dog we will be looking to find a Vet on our homeward journey not sure yet where! we are going into Germany and probably returning vie France we will be away for 6 weeks. I use Frontline every 8 weeks as ticks arent a problem unless going into Scotland but when abroad I will have to do it 4 weekly which is going to take some working out so as not to overdose if the vet is going to do it.

Depending on where you go you may also have to give your dog monthly treatment for heart worm.

The main problem/scare we had was with those pesky processionary caterpillars which we came across on a site in the Algrave. Fortunately our dog didn't touch them. They can be really nasty/fatal to dogs and a real problem to humans if you get them on your skin.

Depending on where you go you may also have to give your dog monthly treatment for heart worm.

The main problem/scare we had was with those pesky processionary caterpillars which we came across on a site in the Algrave. Fortunately our dog didn't touch them. They can be really nasty/fatal to dogs and a real problem to humans if you get them on your skin.

Geoff Cole - 2008-04-01 5:15 PM Hi You have to see a vet more than 24hrs and less than 48hrs before return to the UK On one occasion the vet used Advantix instead of Frontline which proved acceptable for the anti tick/flea treatment. They also have to have antiworm treatment at the same time which is either an injection or a tablet. Hamish the westie has had both on different occations depending on which vet we have been to. Regards Geoff

How did your little westie react to the needle Geoff? they say its a big one and Im not looking forward to that as my littleun hasnt got much meat on him.

starvin marvin - 2008-04-02 10:10 AM Depending on where you go you may also have to give your dog monthly treatment for heart worm. The main problem/scare we had was with those pesky processionary caterpillars which we came across on a site in the Algrave. Fortunately our dog didn't touch them. They can be really nasty/fatal to dogs and a real problem to humans if you get them on your skin.

I read that they dont have to come into contact with the actual catterpilla !! its the hairs that shed you have to be carefull your dog doesnt walk on any!! but you would be a nervous wreck if you have to go around examaning the ground.

The injection for the worming treatment is ok, at least our dog when she has had it didn't seem to flinch.

We did come across processionary caterpillars but luckily our dog didn't seem interested so walked around them. We keep her on a lead unless on the beach or somewhere where we know it is safe for her to have a run.

Hi, Maggyd,

Hamish did not like the injection much we had to hold him firmly and keep our fingers out of the way but after a good Grrrrrrrr. he was ok, he was a solid little dog though as he was 12. We were offered a choice of tablet or injection but we chose the injection because Hamish would have your hand off if you tried to force a tablet down him!

Unfortunately his kidneys failed after we got home last year and died within a week, nothing to with going abroad. We had been taking him away the last four years of his life and he had clocked up at least 6 return journeys; he loved being in the camper.

We have always found the service from the French Vet excellent. We have Elle now she is 5 months old and has been chipped and wiil get her passport in a couple of weeks.

On one occasion we went through dogs away website to arrange an appointment in La Rochelle, but we now usually use a vet close to some friends near Bellac in the Limousin, this is a regular stop off for us on the way to the ferry at Caen or St Malo.

Bear in mind that we can pick ticks up as well I had one on my neck last year ( I had not been frontlined!) if you are unlucky enough to get one do not pull it off it leaves the head in twist it anticlockwise to unscrew it or cover it with vaseline to asphixiate it. It took ages to heal up and hurt.Good luck hope your doggy enjoys the trip

Geoff

Stravin Marvin can you tell me what you use to prevent heartworm please? I am sure my vet gave me Stronghold a few years ago but the practice nurse says no, just use the Scalibor collar.

I use Frontline and have needed it this year in England - I have found three small ticks on my dog in the last few weeks. It's a good idea to buy the little hooks (2 in a packet) from the vet which makes removing ticks very easy and safe for the dog.

I can certainly collaborate the claim about vets being expensive near Calais. I was really stung some years ago by a vet near Le Touquet and have learned to ask the fees before the treatment. Incidentally my dog has been travelling to the continent since she was a pup and she will be seven in August. The Drontal injection has never worried her at all but sometimes she has had the tablet - once the French vet actually put it in my hand and told me to give it to her later!

I hope to be in the south of France by the end of the month and hope that the caterpillars have turned into chrysallises by then. I have been researching this problem, which sounds horrendous, but found that there is a species of this creature which lives in oak trees in England. They have been found at Kew Gardens since 2006 and they can't get rid of them.

Geof so sorry to hear you lost your little dog I know how it feels as we also lost ours he was nearlly 14, a year gone Sept; this little monkey now is 20months and a right handfull his Dad has been trying to catch him up on the hills behind us this morning he decided he was coming back on his own! so he IS in the dog house today!! that is another worry (I dont know why we bothered) he is going to have to be on leash all the time as he isnt properly trained to come back yet ! we thought he was till to-day!

Im glad you have another little one but you will be in a similar situation to us size wise your little one is probably about the same size as our Chihuahua and is probably giving you the run around. Anyway I hope everything goes well for you and you enjoy your holiday abroad, it will be a new expeience for us as we have only ever camped in England and Ireland.

Hi maggyd,

you won't have a problem in France it is doggy freindly, camp sites, restaurants and cafes are usually ok. we normally eat outside weather permitting you will have to teach yours to Grrrrrrrrrrr in french enjoy your trip regards Geoff

Actually, joking aside, it's not a bad idea to teach your dog a couple of commands in French just in case it "goes for walkies". A good idea for yourself as well to repel rural dogs who can be aggressive.

Surprisingly one place dogs are not welcomed is in autoroute service stations - I always worry about animals being left in locked cars in the heat in these places - even 5 minutes.

If anyone is reading this thread I need to know the current prevention against heartworm (see my earlier post) please.

Patricia  Advocate is the thing to use (it comes in a small tube, one tube per dose and you're supposed to use it for a period after your return. Also get the Scalibor collar which protects against most things. Your vet should be able to prescribe. There are other threads to be found on this topic using the search facility. Happy travelling!

ike

Sorry just noticed that a previous post referred to heartworm tablets. I can't remember what they are called or the brand but we bought these from a vet in Pont de L'Arche. I think it's a bit of a belt and braces job we tend to use the Advocate and the heartworm tablets if we're going to the med.

ike

Archived