Best route to Euro tunnel Please

Geoff Cole

Hi,fellow travellers,

I am of to france again in May In the camper using the tunnel travelling from the IOM to Heysham the boat docks around 12.30pm. Plotting the route in Tom Tom from the port of Heysham(Lancs) it suggests M6 M1 M25 M20 as best route 5hrs 12min The route I would have thought the best would be M6 M42 M40 M25 M20 which tom tom gives as 5hrs 27min avoiding the dartford tunnel toll. what route would you experts that use Euro tunnel suggest? have not done this route before I usually go via Portsmouth to Cean or St Malo.

I have booked the 18.00 slot for the tunnel any suggestions as a safe place to stop for the night on the French side of the pond as we will arrive about 20.00 French time.

We are also using tunnel for 1st time later this year.

We live in Lancashire; and whilst I haven't decided on southern end of journey; we would use M6,M61,M60,M62 over Pennines and pick up the M1 south.

Don't know what this would be mileage wise but I avoid the M6 like the plague !!!

When going to the tunnel via the Southern section of the M25 it must be noted that in between the M25 and M20 you will have to go onto the M26.

The Western side around Heathrow Airport can be very busy.

A good time for using the M25 is midday to 2.00pm. Its lunch time with many drivers off the road.

Hi Geoff, I would definately use the following route from Lancs. M6,M5, M42, M40, M25, M20.

The reason for using M5, there are roadworks on the M42 the other way round from M6. I prefer this route and it is hardly any longer.

There are lots of roadworks on the M1 between Leeds and Watford Gap and also for a few miles before M25. I would advise not using the M1 also there are a lot of roadworks on the A2 as well if anyone is thinking of going that way.

Have fun,

Clive.

AGAIN !!!

You must add in the M26 when going round the Southern Section. Its a move to your right shortly after the Clacket Lane Services. Look well at the sign boards and move to the centre lane as soon as you see them!!

You can keep strickly to the M25-M20 but its further and not nesessary !!

(I live a spitting distance away)

Hi Libby thanks for the info I will be getting the ferry from the IOM the day before as it would be pushing it to get to the shuttle for 1800hrs even without a stop and crossing our legs (including the doggy) I do usually drive straight down and catch the evening ferry from portsmouth but two boat trips in a day can play hell with the constitution if its rough! I will have a look at the M26 on the map sounds like a good idea I can always enter it as a way point on the Sat Nav. I just need to know where I can get my head down on the French side of the pond thats not to far away and safe. Many thanks to you and everyone else for the input regards Geoff

Geoff I go down to Kent about four times a year from North Wales and tried all the routes mentioned. They all have problems at certain times of the day. I have settled on M6, M1, A14, M11, M25, M20. If you use A14 it cuts out a long section of M25. You can go south of London but get it wrong and you will hit worst sections of M25, maasive amount of traffic.

There may be some confusion ref the M25 & M20 connection to those not familiar with this part of the country.

M25-M20 yes from the M1, M11, & Dartford Crossing (the Eastern side of London)

M25-M26-M20 from the Western & Southern side of London.

Your maps will show this.

rupert123 - 2008-04-02 3:32 PM

Geoff I go down to Kent about four times a year from North Wales and tried all the routes mentioned. They all have problems at certain times of the day. I have settled on M6, M1, A14, M11, M25, M20. If you use A14 it cuts out a long section of M25. You can go south of London but get it wrong and you will hit worst sections of M25, maasive amount of traffic.

With the greatest of respect Rupert that's an awful long way round. Plus I have to ask why you use the M1 to get from the M6 to the A14?

D.

davenewell@home - 2008-04-02 5:55 PM

rupert123 - 2008-04-02 3:32 PM

With the greatest of respect Rupert that's an awful long way round. Plus I have to ask why you use the M1 to get from the M6 to the A14?

D.

oops one road to many, delete M1. However the shortest on a map is not always the shortest time. I have traveled this route around four times a year, round trips, for last twenty years and all ways can have big holdups. The consistantly quickest is the one I stated, mainly because all others, in particular the south of London way use a lot more of the M25.

Geoff Cole - 2008-04-02 5:15 PM

Hi Michelle,

thanks for the post I am heading towards St Quentin and are going to visit the WW1 sites before heading to the Alps and then making our way to our base in the south west about 1500mls should be a good trip. Geoff

Hi when this lot get over the english side they may be able to help with the French side , I was going to suggest le Touquet always quiet and safe so far lots of us use it . However it would not be totally out of the way for your route but not the best .

So it seems that I can not help you as I am used to only staying at the terminal itself or on the docks or at le Touquet or at Carefour hypermarket all of which have proved safe so far .

Hubby is going to see the WW1 on the 18th but he will get there early enough to go straight there and park up for the night ..

I wish yo u a pleasant journey .

Hi When i use euro tunnel traveling from lancashire i use the M40 and then round the bottom of the M25. When you arrive at euro tunnel it may not be the time that you booked dont worry just show your credit card that you booked with to the machine and it will give you next train times avalible with no extra charge. At calais you can park at the ferry car park (no charge) and it has a 24 hour guard to find the car park head for the ferr port and look for the ticket booking office and that will put on the car park .

I have used it many times with no problems.

Derrick

Archived