Chips with everything

nwsxp50

Hi All, I heard of people chiping motorhomes. I have a 2.8JTD Ducato based van and often tow a trailer. What experiences have people had with fitting chips and what do insurance companies say about it. Thanks in advance .

Simon

If your 2.8JTD has the normal Fiat gear ratio's you might also consider their 'short-fifth' gear option, especially relevant if your towing. This basically lowers your top gear by about 500 revs and overcomes all of the Fiat 'too-high' top gear problems and will actually pull well in fifth.

We have had this gearing in our last two heavy vans and mpg, noise, etc, have remained the same after modification. It's now fitted as standard on many vans over 3500kg. Your insurers will also approve.

The modification is a simple job taking about an hour and costing in the region of £300. Essanjay at Poole do it.

Recommended if you haven't got it already.

Had mine done and love it. Prevented me from getting rid due to underpowered. Like said there are previous threads whereby I have given my opinion and the pros and cons have been discussed. On a 2.8 its a remap as far as I know, no need for a chip change.

I didnt go for the permanent chip didnt want anyone messing with the ECU

I decided to go for a fueling chipped box before the common rail it basically changes the amount of fuel going into the injectors,

What i have found with the 2.8 fiat is at standard the fifth gear being a high ratio needs at least 41/42 mph before it is happy being selected i pull a heavy Motorcycle on a trailer and any incline the engine is flat and i need to change down a gear which is a real pain up and down the gears especially with cruise control off the vacum.

I fitted a fueling box simple plug in the electrics from the ECU at the common rail and a ignition controlled fused supply.

Difference

Engine pulls like a train wheel spin at lights if you let the clutch out quickly better fuel economy stays in fifth drives up inclines and feels like driving a car, cruise stays in almost all the time. at least 2 mpg extra, less gear changes.

What others say

Can damage the engine well as a design engineer i know that there is a safety factor built into the performance of an engine plus a lot of manufacturers re-chip their sports model engines for higher performance.

Standard BHP was 122 claimed increase 156 but the amount of torque is greater giving better pulling power if i wanted to pull a car the engine power would be sufficient. my unit is 3800 kg.

What i do is chamge the oil regularly Im have travelled in Europe 10 thousand mile without a problem.

The unit cost me £250 has five settings plus you can remove and put on the next engine.

Works for me. i Love the Ducato on a Alko Maxi chassis better fuel economy than the Merc which is 156 bhp.

Spartan, can you advise where you bought your 'fuelling box' and what exactly I should ask for..?... further to that.. when I bought my Adria.. the distributor hinted that I have the 147 bhp 2.8 diesel.. does anyone know how I can verify this.?.. and if it is correct.. will it be worth trying to improve the performance.. the vehicle is quite sprightly but the speed does drop back rapidly on some of the hills on the french A75...

Archived