Scooters

Manu

I have a Piaggio Fly 125 Scooter. I carry it on a rack at the back of the motorhome. I have used it for 2 years and it carries the wife and me quite comfortably up very steep hills in the Alps and other mountainous regions. We have covered nearly 2500 miles on it and I find it very economical.

It comes complete with a large, easily removable 'top box' on the back and also has a good sized compartment under the seat. It also has a very useful windscreen which was supplied free of charge by the dealer. I understand they are about £60. I remove the windscreen and top box for travelling.

It's a twist and go version and the only problem I find with it is when coming down hills it tends to disengage and freewheel so having to use the brakes more as there is no engine braking. Apart from that I think it's a wonderful machine and we wouldn't be without it.

As mentioned earlier anything bigger could cause overloading of the back axle. It is recommended that when you are fully loaded for holiday and with the scooter on board you should go to a public weighbridge and get the front and rear axles weighed separately then you can check if you are within limits.

Phil.

I think it would be a bit late, and perhaps costly, to weigh the vehicle AFTER having bought the scooter. I suggest putting the equivalent weight of the scooter (sand?) in your garage and weighing your vehicle at this point.

Don't forget you need a full motorbike licence to drive one too! You can't carry passengers on "L" plates either, unless they have a full licence. Also make sure you are covered for use abroad on the scooter insurance AND any medical/ travel insurance you might have.

Many people forget these things and only find out when it's too late!

I don't think it correct that you need a full motorbike licence to drive a scooter. Up to, and including say a 125cc auto, you have a to pass a simple test for a licence restricting you to that level of bike. I took the test at age 68 and it was a cake walk.

As far as I know, you can drive up to 125cc on a provisional licence but you CANNOT take a passenger.

However, as stated above, if the passenger has a full motorcycle licence, they you CAN take that person as the passenger as they are similar to a 'driving instructor' in a car.

Don't forget that with a scooter you have to be able to store the helmets etc that you need as well - it's tempting to ride them without gloves, suitable boots etc but if you come off ........ ouch! :-(

Mel B & Ron

As a full car licence holder you have entitlement to ride a moped, ie a motor cycle up to 50cc. To ride anything larger you have to take Compulsory Basic Training, C.B.T. . Completion of C.B.T. allows you to ride a bike up to 125cc; no passengers allowed and you must display "L" plates.

C.B.T. only lasts for two years to continue riding above 50cc you must retake C.B.T. or pass a motor cycle test.

docted

I was assuming that what Tommo meant by 'full motorcycle licence' was the ultimate one that lets you ride the likes of a Honda Fireblade, etc. The licence (not provisional) covering you up to 125cc on auto scooters also includes having passengers on board.

Archived