selling to a dealer

la hetiere

HI, My wife and l are giving up our motorhome as we have bought a small holiday chalet in france and will spend our leisure time there now ,so we need to sell our 2004/5 compass motorhome,we would like to sell to a dealer to save the wait of selling private , has anybody been successful doing this, and can they reccomend a fair dealer.

Hi, if you look in MMM you will find dealers advertising to buy and can get an idea of what they will offer by speaking to them. The subject of selling to dealers was dealt with in detail on the forum recently if you do a search. Good luck!

Look under 'what is my motorhome worth'

Just a thought..dependent on how much time you have to sell...

Get a price from a dealer - it will probably be pretty low - then advertise it yourselves for one week at £1000 more than the dealer offered you.

Chances are, you might get someone to buy it, because it would be a bargain if it was only a grand more than the dealer offered you !

If you can afford it, I would keep the M/caravan. We use ours for pottering down through France by whatever route seems to suit us at the time, Spend time at our mobile home and gently potter back.

The nice thing about having a permenant place to arrive at is that you don't have a deadline to arrive and leave, also you can use the m/home to travel from a base for 2 or 3 days and see an area more fully.

rgds

Guest peter
GypsyTom - 2008-04-06 11:05 AM
peter - 2008-04-05 11:35 PM Why would you not wait to make a considerable lot more than a dealer would offer you?.

Here's a clue: "we would like to sell to a dealer to save the wait of selling private....." ,

O/K sell to a dealer then. Why bother asking if you've already made your mind up. I was only trying to be helpful and save you some cash. >:-)

Hi,

Some dealers offer to sell your vehicle for you which may be worth considering but i beleive this can cost between 10 and 20% of the actual obtained sale, I would think that you could probably negotiate your own % and while the above may seem high most of them will be able to achive a higher price then you would normally be able to achive selling privately

Moncayoman - 2008-04-06 12:06 PM

Get a price from a dealer - it will probably be pretty low - then advertise it yourselves for one week at £1000 more than the dealer offered you.

Chances are, you might get someone to buy it, because it would be a bargain if it was only a grand more than the dealer offered you !

This is some good advice, we sold our motorhome via the caravan/motorhome division of autotrader. This was a mix of one month online and two weeks in their paper. Result cash buyer within the weekand loads of enquireis.

Hi all,Thanks for your ideas and comments,I started ringing around dealers today, but what I was affraid of is happening,although the dealers advertise in MMM as wanting to buy your motorhome they say they will call back soon with a price but they never do, this seems to be a British disease with a lot of company's. If I do eventually get a price and find it to low I might try going private with a bargain price for a short time as suggested.

Guest peter
la hetiere - 2008-04-07 8:06 AM

Hi Peter

Thanks for your advice all replies are useful. I did not think GypsyToms comments were very helpfull and do not know why someone would put a comment of that nature (!)

Hi la hetiere,. Sorry about my curt reply as I did not notice that the crass comment was not from you, but Gypsy Tom. I must read posts more carefully in future.

Archived