Roof Mounted Air Con Units

G3TRK

Hi I am wondering if anyone can assist me. I am very shortly having a Dometic B2200 Air Con unit fitted on my Burstner Delfin 680 Outfit.

My query is as follows is there a preferred point for fitting this, does it have to be fitted in a special area of the roof, ie is the roof strengthened at any point to take one.

The obvious places to fit would be at an existing roof light point, but the only two available are either over the fixed bed, or at the front of the vehicle where the head room is reduced. I would like it fitted in the centre of the vehicle if possible but that would mean cutting a 40cm Hole in the roof to do that, would the roof then be able to support it without any additional strengthening.

Any help appreciated.

Don

Guest JudgeMental

welcome to the forum Don

the number and size of vents are determined by gas regulations and should not be blocked*-)

my WAECO roof a/c is in center of van and has vents to blow cold air in either direction.

surely fitting agent should advise as to suitability etc.....

Had a WAECO Aircool 1000 fitted on the roof of our Avantgarde 140, with a hole cut specially in the roof. The guy who did it was very particular and measured at least 3 times before he cut! The unit has worked perfectly for 14 months and there have been no problems with the roof, which wasn't strengthened.

The worse part was watching the hole being cut in the roof of my, at the time, brand new van!

I have the same Domitec unit fitted to our caravan.

It is fitted to the roof vent above the bed and blows cool air in both directions with absolutely no problems and easilly cools the whole van.

Have left it on all night on low and the noise from it is not intrusive at all.

Excellent choice of unit

Hi everyone and thank you for your comments. My main concern was that if fitted above the fixed bed it may be intrusive with regard to noise. I would appear that if run at low speed there is not a problem. I would prefer to fit it without cutting a new hole and thus retain the integrity of the roof.

Many thanks to all for your comments much appreciated.

Sorry if you know this but worth a mention.

Just remember that this unit is quiet a heavy drain when running on 12 volt and so should just be run from the alternator not the leisure batteries

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2008-04-05 6:25 PM

the number and size of vents are determined by gas regulations and should not be blocked*-)

i am sorry but this is really important. the size and amount of vents are there for gas safety reasons. Determined by the amount of people van is designed to accommodate and types and number of gas appliances.....

if you block vents you are putting your life at risk and your insurance will probably be invalid if you need to claim as well *-)

again fitting agent should advise regards this.

JudgeMental - 2008-04-06 1:50 PM
JudgeMental - 2008-04-05 6:25 PM the number and size of vents are determined by gas regulations and should not be blocked*-)
i am sorry but this is really important. the size and amount of vents are there for gas safety reasons. Determined by the amount of people van is designed to accommodate and types and number of gas appliances..... if you block vents you are putting your life at risk and your insurance will probably be invalid if you need to claim as well *-) again fitting agent should advise regards this.

Yes, this must be checked.  However, our Burstner had independent permanent vents, and did not rely upon unsealed rooflights to achieve the necessary permanent ventilation.  If yours is similar, you need not worry about losing one rooflight.

I would have expected motorhomes to have been built to the same safety spec as a caravan.

Our caravan has the small circular vents in the floor around all of the gas appliances.

One could leave the circulation vents of the vehicles heater unit open if neccessary

Hi

I had a Telair fitted to my Burstner Solano t700 they used one of the existing roof lights which i understand is the correct size for the machine.The fitter walked on the roof and assured me it was of ample strength it did not suffer any ill effects from the trafic.

Colin Frier

Hi and thanks for your comments, however as LPG is heavier than air and there are ample gas vents on the floor around the gas equipment this should not be a problem,

There are other permanent vents at roof level built in to the van and these should help disperse any build up of heat from cooking etc.

For the assistance given by every one thank you very much, it is much appreciated and I have decided that unless the installer has any real sensible reason for not doing so I will have it installed in the roof light aperture above the permanent bed at the rear of the van.

I really appreciate this forum and have gleaned quite a lot of information from reading the comments on a whole variety of subjects, nice to see that the companionship of motor caravaning is still as strong as ever,

I think my one real dissapointments has been to read what some of the York residents have had to say about the show moving to Pickering this year and how glad they will be to see the back of the visitors.

Guest JudgeMental

these units are pretty loud and I cannot imagine resting comfortably underneath one.

Based on only having roof air since last year. if given a choice of only having it over the lounge area or rear bed I would go for the front. in Italy last summer temp was 35 deg during the day, we ran it all the time on half speed and the interior was a delight.

at night we did not feel it necessary to run as much as van well ventilated and out of consideration for others (we had family's camping all around). and the WAECO units are quiet compared to some others *-) and what can appear to be reasonable during the background noise of the day can be unacceptable at night.......

As to cost, mine was approx £900 fitted by Belgian EuraMobil dealer.

Archived