Hardstanding for motorhome

Knaus

Hello Knaus, (This not a Motorhome ?).

I get the idea this has not been answered yet because its not a Motorhome thingy.

We're into the subject of laying Mono-block, slabs, etc..

Why, because a strong base is required. Well we don't want to see your drive flowing like waves with puddles forming in low bits like you's have probably seen before and wondered why.

But its only plastic, light, hollow. Yeh but your Motorhome weighs what, 2, 3, 4 ton.

We're talking 4 to 6 inches of hardcore here, type 1 should do, vibrated down level. Finer stuff on top to fill voids, level.

For Mono-Blocks, 2/3 inches of sand and blocks vibrated down onto.

For your plastic surface, I'd just put it onto the finer stuff. HahyPresto.

Grass to grow in holes might be a prob as is too well drained. select a nice fine gravel, nice...

Or just do a Tommy Walsh like he does for his slabs, screed the area for the plastic to go on, 3 to 4 inches concrete, then when the waters dried off a little/ going off, lay your plastic surface on top, letting it bed in slightly. Fine gravel to finish again but water may lye on it however.

The manufacturer will tell you what to do anyway.

Alott of work for a simple surface, yeh, not what you thought, yes...

Good Luck,

Gordon..

hardcore first, Type 1 would prob do

I'm sure the poster means that he intends to lay it for hardstanding his MH. :-D

Sounds like a good idea really, cant help with the preparation though. I had to have my drive completely tarmaced to so I could put the motorhome on. Prior we had a caravan which was always bogged down but easy to pull off with the car.

Might be worth next timeyou stay on a site to ask the site owners whom have fitted such.

It aint what you park on, that counts (plastic or concrete), its the stuff underneath that holds the whole lot up and inplace deals with the drainage (or lack off ;-)

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm#grade good for a start.

Always start with some form of barrier before laying sub base. Old carpet (but prone to rot) geotext material, Or good but cheap, cut up pre used one tonne bulders bags,

rgds

Just as a matter of interest, I saw on the television last week, that from August 2008 any paving/drives etc that are being laid/relaid have to be done with porous materials. they were showing gravel, lawn and block paving but of course the porous block paving is 3 times as dear as the normal stuff. It is supposed to be so that surface water will go into the ground and not into the drains causing flooding. Just another way for folks to spend more money.

Randonneur - 2008-04-07 4:36 PM

Just as a matter of interest, I saw on the television last week, that from August 2008 any paving/drives etc that are being laid/relaid have to be done with porous materials. they were showing gravel, lawn and block paving but of course the porous block paving is 3 times as dear as the normal stuff. It is supposed to be so that surface water will go into the ground and not into the drains causing flooding. Just another way for folks to spend more money.

\not sure thats true but it would not surprise me.

when we had ours done we had pourous tarmac, Really good stuff, no need for drainage as the water just runs straight through it. Didn't cost me any more though thought it was just a selling point really.

A friend of ours had pattern conrete and the puddles on it are nearly good enough for a swim. She sued and won as the chap refused to fix it but then he went Bankrupt and she had to have it redone by some one else. Put me off that idea.

As someone who's garden has badly suffered from the water draining of a neighbour's concrete drive I think having a drive made from materials that are free draining is a very good idea! :-D

I have used a product called Golpla which is very similar if not identical to the stuff the Camping Club use. It is marketed by an outfit called Hoofmark. They will send a brochure if you do a web search for them and ask.

From memory, its a while back now, I dug out about 6" of soil, did a 50/50 soil and grit sand mix and levelled it off to the depth of the honeycomb and tamped it down before putting in the plastic bit and filling it with the sand/soil mix too. It is possible to buy the stuff with the turf already in it but it is quite expensive that way.

Ours had about three years use without any problem. If the van was standing there permanently the grass might suffer but you could always fill it with granite chips instead of grassing it.

Stuart

Guest Tracker
We had a block paving drive outside our last house and as it was laid on compacted hardcore and sand with the gap between the bricks sand filled it did allow water to drain through very well, as does tarmac.

panagah - 2008-04-07 5:52 PM

\not sure thats true but it would not surprise me.

when we had ours done we had pourous tarmac, Really good stuff, no need for drainage as the water just runs straight through it. Didn't cost me any more though thought it was just a selling point really.

A friend of ours had pattern conrete and the puddles on it are nearly good enough for a swim. She sued and won as the chap refused to fix it but then he went Bankrupt and she had to have it redone by some one else. Put me off that idea.

I had to go back and have a look to make sure it was not an April fool's joke. This was on the BBC's One show this is the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/article/2008/04/ss_paving.shtml

At one of the Warner's shows last year (or it may have been two) an exhibitor was selling something similar to that which Knaus described in his mail.

My recollection is that they were one metre long by half a metre wide,could be clipped together,easily cut to fit odd shapes,bends etc. and the ground preparation is similar to that described by Stuart above. They recommended a layer of membrane to stop weeds. The seller claimed they could support a considerable weight. I think there were two grades. After laying they showed on a video the surface being covered with gravel level with the top of the grid and a young lady then crossing them in high heels without sinking in ! My wife thought this unlikely ! !

If you have an old guide from last years shows you may be able to locate them. Sorry mine have gone to the waste paper collection .

Hi

I was rather deflated by gordonalson's comments re my enquiry. But hey, it looks like it created a lot of attention about 360 viewings and some good replies.

Thanks all who have had something constructive to say.

Archived