Who covers their tyres in the hot sun

libby

Two questions on tyres.

Part 1...I cover mine in the hot sun, anything to prevent deterioration but I've never seen anyone else doing the same ?

Part 2.... Does the spare deteriorate as well even if its in the dark with no body pressure on it ?

LB

Hi,

I think that the sun may prematurely age the rubber so covering from direct sun light will help, however its worth noting that the rubber will deteriorate with age no matter what you do so it will still be necessary to replace the tyres due to age irrespective of tyre wear.

libby:

I'm sure I remember something in MMM (possibly one of those Tenner for a Tip pieces in Interchange) about how someone had made tyre/wheel covers, though I think these may have been to limit rainwater getting on to the brake disks rather than as an anti-sun precaution.

As far as deterioration of the tyre on the spare-wheel is concerned, I vaguely recall reading that there are protective chemicals within the tyre 'rubber' that require usage to activate them. I understand that there's also a shelf life period (12 months) for new tyres within which the tyre should either be fitted to a vehicle or discarded. So, despite you keeping your spare wheel swaddled up in a thick wooly blanket and carefully stored in a motorhome's dark double-floor, received wisdom is that (even if the spare wheel has never been deployed on the vehicle) the tyre on it should be replaced if it reaches a certain age.

I understand Silverscreens make them to cover tyres, but I made mine from the silver foil type material thats meant for interior car windows to keep the inside cool , from the pound shop, held on with elastic tape. Only bother to fit them when away in Spain, dont seem to get much hot sun over here (lol) chas

My motorhome sits alongside the garage,two tyres are sheltered from the sun and two are not and the two shelered ones are the tyres which showed deterioration first.Same happened to my trailer on the other side of the garage so ??????. So now I cover them as advice points this way.

I always put covers on in hot places or shield the tyres with a board or something ( I only have 2 covers, not too easy to put on and of course the sun moves!). I bought these covers some years ago from Bags4Us - not cheap - after having the side walls of nearly new tyres crack when in France. The replacement tyres cost much more than the covers.

Hi,

In reply to Derek Uzzell first paragraph, I have just checked the Michelin web site and found at the link below a safety information pdf file named UK10.PDF

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/search.jsp?query=the+sun&languePage=EN

which states on page 4 under part of paragraph 3 that tyres should be "protected from direct sunlight" amongst other things

We live in a sub-tropical climate here in Queensland, Australia and are within a day's drive one is in semi-desert conditions.

I have never seen a tyre covered for sun protection, and this IS the Skin Cancer capital of the world!

So we try to cover ourselves and apply sunscreens to uncovered parts of the body.

My observation is that Tread on tyres wear out long before sun damage is evident.

Used tyres are often used for fenders around boat jetties etc.and apear to last for decades?

I would be very watchful of a spare tyre that has spent- say 5 years unused -and then thrown into use and expected to travel at 60/70 mph

continous for several hours!

Cheers,Bill

I have a couple of old hip length rain coats, I pull the sleeves through to the inside so they don't flap in the wind, do up the top couple of buttons, and hang them on the sunny side wheels. Gives shade to the tyres and look quite tidy. May not do much good but my tyres will not get skin cancer.

Use the wheel like a coat hanger, and they stay on in gale force winds, no problem.

Archived