mercedes 316 hard seats need replacing!

teen

We have a Pilote Pacific on a merc sprinter - the van is wonderful but the front seats a too narrow and hard as rock - not bad for driving but horrible to lounge in has anyone out there found good seats or a solution?

Guest Tracker

Many years ago I replaced some badly worn seats in a a Bedford CF with some very nice car seats from a breakers yard.

It might take a bit of hunting to find the right seats but if you measure the seat's overall sizes, particularly the seat base height above the floor and also measure the width and depth of the seat runners together with a note of how the seats and runners are fixed to the floor or seat box of the van it will help.

I am not au fait with Mercs so I don't know whether your seat belt fixings are seat or chassis mounted but they too have to be considered.

As does telling your insurers what you have done as they may wish to see an engineer's report on the structural strength and suitability of the work.

If the seats are a different size to the originals you may be able to mount your new seats onto a swivel base - if you don't already have one - but that will raise the seats by about an inch or so.

Another trick is to use a quarter inch thick steel sheet as an adapter plate twixt seat and mounting point but this does not always work and if your seats are box mounted you lose access to said box.

This is from the perspective of a DIY'er only and does not consider the legal aspect as far as construction and use or insurance etc.

No doubt others will be able to advise other aspects?

We have a Sprinter based MH with Isri seats and believe they are fantastic! Good to drive and when rotated good for lounging.

Perhaps you need to put on a little weight?

Have you played with all the adjustments? there are lots.

Like Tracker some time back I replaced the standard front seats of my then VW Autostrada with two seats with arm rests from an accident damage breakers yard ( sometimes Newish right offs do not have any damage to the interior),I measured the seat runner /track and slide bar width, and took the measurements with me ,I managed to get two front seats from a top of the range model of Renault car which fitted straight into my VW,otherwise try this web site http://www.seatshop.co.uk/sspictures.html, and there are others that sell HGV type seats hope its of some help .

Archived