York Show moving to Pickering?

Don Madge

Reading the comments from most of the Yorkies I'm glad it's moving! It's a shame as being so close to York is great, especially as the weekend coincides with the continental market in the town and the brilliant car boot on the Saturday morning! :D

Shall have to think what we're going to do this year ... *-)

if we're back - I'm sticking with the markets - don't fancy parking up on the Pickering - Malton road for hours :-> :->

if anyone does make it - can recommend the Spice4U Indian in the town and a trip on the steam railway

B-)

Having just been to the Pickering Showground this weekend for the annual Model Railway Show (run in conjunction with the NYMR Steam Gala) I can only hope that the number of vans that turn up at York can be accomodated at Pickering - it may be a bit cramped!

David

Pickering Airfield is privately owned by the Wolds Gliding Club and could probably just about accommodate the York Show. And I guess the Club would be more than willing to give up a weekend's gliding for the extra revenue.

Mel E

====

Mel B - 2008-04-08 7:46 PM

I've registered on the site and have just put a comment on ... seeing as they are a miserable lot who don't want us there anyway I'm happy not to give them my business anymore. :-|

You shouldn't let a bunch of idiots [who can't tell the difference between a caravan and a motorcaravan anyway] put you off going to a beautiful city which has dedicated motorcaravan parking, which implies - to me at least - that they do want us there. Just a shame you can't park overnight at the P+R sites.

B-)

I know it’s not nice to have others criticise your own way of life but, perhaps, some of the commentators on the York Press site do have a point.

After all, it is difficult for them to understand why anyone would want to spend up to £100,000 on a tin box, only to sleep on a mattress on the floor and pee in a bucket in today’s world of fast, reliable travel.

I mean, for just a few pounds, you can get up at the crack of dawn and, having chosen from a wide range of rail services, spend a few hours on a clean, modern train taking in the sights of the countryside as it speeds you through the track upgrade work on the diversion over to the West Coast route and on into the capital city.

Here, you can choose to take a journey on the historic trains of the London Underground or have a jolly chat with the friendliest of London cab drivers as you make your way to the airport. Airlines are not what they used to be and every care is taken over serious issues such as passenger safety. By arriving at least two hours before your departure time there will be no delay as you pass through the various security checks and your heavy suitcases are taken away by someone you have never met before who will endeavour to ensure they are on the correct flight. Your flight may even be thoughtfully delayed by several hours giving you ample time to meander in and out of the ‘duty free’ shop where a familiar range of products are sold – often at prices nearly as low as those in your local supermarket. Or, you can put five pounds into the local economy by buying a cup of tea in the spacious café.

Once you board the flight your partner can enjoy the views out of the window seat on the other side of the plane while you make yourself comfortable in the middle of the five seats and get to know your fellow passengers on either side over an exclusively prepared, intimate meal. Even the trays are so big that they completely fill the space between your stomach and the upright seat back in front of you, ensuring that nothing can fall onto the floor. During the flight a favourite TV show or film will be playing and you can even rent a headset if you want the soundtrack too. But if that’s not enough you can amuse yourself and get to know some of the other passengers in the queue for the toilet.

After a restful, relaxed, six hour flight you will be whisked off to your hotel where the quaint staircase leads you to the top floor and a spacious, airy 10’ by 12’ double bedded room. Even this is furnished in the most expensive style of the 1960’s and has a full leisure package of satellite TV with all the shopping channels and a mini bar which you can use as often as you wish and don’t have to pay for until you check out. In bad weather hours of fun can be had playing racing cockroaches or guess the origins of the dubious stains on the bedclothes.

Your every whim is catered for, literally, and you can wander down for a sumptuous breakfast of muesli or a ham slice on bread anytime between 7 and 9 o’clock. The rest of the day is your own and you are actively encouraged to spend it away from the hotel.

The high level of care and attention to detail continues throughout your stay until the very last day when, after vacating your room at 9 a.m. you are allowed to leave your heavy suitcases in the hotel foyer and then spend the day retracing your steps to have a last look at all the places you visited during your stay before returning to the hotel to catch the coach to the airport. Even now, you will be treated to a tour of the other hotels in the area where more passengers will be taken on board for you to chat to. The coach will invariably drop you off in plenty of time for your flight and, after browsing the small but intimate public areas, you will be able to relax in the comfortable polypropylene formed chairs to read a book or simply people watch for the last four hours.

Once on board the plane you can get a comfortable nights’ sleep for as long as you wish, only being woken for important things such as the drinks trolley, a fully prepared meal of two triangular sandwiches and cheese biscuits, then the tea trolley and, finally, the last opportunity to buy something from the excellent range on the ‘duty free’ trolley. Before you know it the first shafts of light are peeking through the aircraft windows and a thoughtful pilot is able to advise you that buses will be arranged to collect you from Birmingham airport where you will be landing due to bad weather over London. Even the timing of the return trip is well thought out as at 4 a.m. there is only a short delay for the drugs dog to sniff your crutch as you queue to get through customs, passport and immigration controls.

The luxury coaches rapidly speed you down the motorway, stopping only for a 20 minute ‘comfort’ break at one of the interesting motorway service areas, and before you know it you are back in London. Now you have nothing else to worry about other than look forward to the relaxed train journey home again – even the baggage will be delivered direct to your home when it arrives back from Milan in six months – giving you plenty of time to wash the dirty laundry ready for next years holiday.

Contrast this with feeling obliged to go away nearly every weekend or any spare time you have, maybe even with no real plan of where you are headed! Having to go to different places where you will have to set about finding your way round, meeting new people, seeing new and different sights. Spending long, hot summer evenings on the banks of a lonely loch with no other humans for miles or having to laugh and chat with newly made friends around the barbeque, drinking cold beer from the fridge or cheap red wine you bought on your last French trip.

Maybe Mr Angry from York knows something we don’t……….or does he?

david lloyd - 2008-04-10 1:29 PM

Contrast this with feeling obliged to go away nearly every weekend or any spare time you have, maybe even with no real plan of where you are headed! Having to go to different places where you will have to set about finding your way round, meeting new people, seeing new and different sights. Spending long, hot summer evenings on the banks of a lonely loch with no other humans for miles or having to laugh and chat with newly made friends around the barbeque, drinking cold beer from the fridge or cheap red wine you bought on your last French trip.

oooh sounds really awful David :D :D :D :D

B-)

david lloyd - 2008-04-10 1:29 PM

Maybe Mr Angry from York knows something we don’t……….or does he?

How could anyone be so sad as to do this!! B-) B-) B-)

Shame some of the unenlightened Yorkies won't ever read Davids post above and this, perhaps if someone lives local they could let the paper know the damage it may be causing. Always enjoyed our visits to York, I didn't realise that this is what the locals (??) thought of us whilst we ambled around the city, buying various things, visiting the Yorvic Centre the Railway museum, eating out, taking a wonderful trip on a river boat to a riverside restuarant where we had another meal and to think we didn't have to spend any money anywhere we went (according to the York paper readers). Oh well if it keeps them happy, perhaps we won't go back!

Bas

I think the move to Pickering would cause lots of issues, mostly the traffic chaos from the (as far as I know) single access point on the A169. Its bad enough when they have a small show.

One other point I think Mel has his location wrong the Wolds Gliding club are based at Pocklington Airfield along side the A1079, not at Pickering.

Stewart

stewartkingswood - 2008-04-10 4:29 PM

I think the move to Pickering would cause lots of issues, mostly the traffic chaos from the (as far as I know) single access point on the A169. Its bad enough when they have a small show

Stewart

Stewart,

It's not a wise move.

The A169 Malton to Pickering road is a bottle neck at the best of times and with the amount of traffic the show will create it could be a nightmare. The A169 in the other direction takes you to Whitby via Saltersgate and Blue Bank across the North York moors.

The A170 also runs through Pickering, from the north one will have to tackle Sutton Bank (not for the faint hearted) and in the other direction it goes to Scarborough but not many outfits will come from that direction. So most of the traffic will be on the Malton - Pickering Road.

The showground has never hosted a show of this size but before the motorhome show the C & C C Feast of Lanterns rally is on from the 28th to the 31st August. I don't know how many units attend but it could give an indication how well the area/showground copes with the large numbers expected.

Don

They get an 'excellent' turn out for the Steam show every year - and the tail back easily reaches the A64.

There aren't really any rat runs - certainly not appropriate to motorcaravans.

But - the people with influence in that part of the world are the ones who stand to make money from the show - so .. .. ..

B-)

Basil - 2008-04-10 4:01 PM

Always enjoyed our visits to York, I didn't realise that this is what the locals (??) thought of us whilst we ambled around the city, buying various things, visiting the Yorvic Centre the Railway museum, eating out, taking a wonderful trip on a river boat to a riverside restuarant where we had another meal and to think we didn't have to spend any money anywhere we went (according to the York paper readers). Oh well if it keeps them happy, perhaps we won't go back!

Bas

so - you obviously enjoyed your visit - why let a few idiots spoil your fun,

'cutting off your nose .. .. .. '

B-)

I'll risk little comment!  What I have read probably represents the opinions of youngish people, who regard their lives as exciting.  They certainly regard ours as boring and dull.  So what?  They will probably change their opinions as time passes, and some may even buy motorhomes one day.  This is just impetuous youth.

However, there is, perhaps, a little lesson for us in the comments.  Various comments come from local residents for whom the event is a nuisance.  I think I can understand that.  There is nothing particularly attractive about 4,000 or so motorhomes in a field, especially if you have no interest in motorhomes and they merely obscure you view of a nice, green, field. 

The 4,000 or so arriving/leaving presumably do cause traffic problems at times, or I assume the comments would not have been made. 

Large numbers of relatively heavy vehicles do plough up the grass, especially when wet, so I can well imagine the footballers cursing the state of their pitch if their part of the field is affected.  Comments regarding tent pegs will presumably relate to the use of the site as limited season a Caravan Club site, as may a number of the other comments.

Comments regarding lack of benefit to York just reflect the fact that those with no commercial interest in the town do not benefit from the additional visitors who fill the town, block the pavements, get in their way, and do them no good at all.  The shopkeepers etc, of course, like the show, because it brings them custom.  However, for those who do not benefit directly, and I suspect relatively few do, why should they be enthusiastic?

I think the hard truth is that few people who don't own motorhomes even think about them, far less like them, and a lot hate them.  I don't think many distinguish between motorhomes and caravans, merely seeing both as mobile road blocks, which, in truth, they often are.  When they are parked they are large, very white (mostly!), and block everyone else's view.  They contribute nothing to the look of a place, they tend to be driven fairly slowly, they have poor dynamics and, en masse, they are an eyesore that we happy motorhomers impose on others at our own whim.  Do we really expect to be popular on a small, crowded, island with narrow roads in mostly poor condition?

Maybe we should hear what the good burghers of York really think of us with humility, rather than indignation, learn from it, and try to be kinder to Pickering that it seems we have been to York?  After all, apart from Warners, who hope to make money from the show, the exhibitors and caterers, and a few local businesses who will benefit directly, what have we to offer the owner of the average semi-d in the way of benefit?

I hear what you say Brian - and agree in large part. However, the lessons learned from holding the show at York will not help the residents of Pickering as I believe they will be amplified rather than overcome.

I suspect that if you asked the residents of Peterborough, Lincoln, Newbury or anywhere that a large (particularly ourdoor) show is being held the responses would be the same - whether it be motorhomes or steam traction engines. The main problem here is that we are all nimby's at heart.

However, that is not to say that such gatherings should not take place but I would have thought that Warner's would be exceptionally careful about WHERE they take place and, in my humble opinion, Pickering Showground is not yet ready to host an event on the scale of that held at York and the town almost certainly unprepared for the road traffic. I doubt the owners of the showground would see it that way but how many outdoor shows have they seen in detail to make that decision?

One of the first priorities of the show organisers (in finding a suitable location) must be road access and in that regard locations such as Wetherby racecourse or Harrogate Showground have a distinct advantage over the emerging Pickering Showground.

My tongue in cheek posting is merely meant to lightheartedly counter the sometimes vociferous an, perhaps, ignorant (of motorhomes in general) comments made by a relatively few opponents but I seriously think that the show organisers owe it to whatever community they inflict the show upon to ensure they can minimise the effects.

David

So will their next rant be to stop the Horse Racing at York

Thes are more frequent events and generally generate more traffic, of which very few spectators venture into the City giving traders their money. Seems a**e about face to me.

twooks - 2008-04-10 5:18 PM

so - you obviously enjoyed your visit - why let a few idiots spoil your fun,

'cutting off your nose .. .. .. '

B-)

Yes twooks you are so right it and would not stop us from visiting York again if we felt we wanted to, I was thinking a bit tongue in cheek though didn't reflect that in my post. However I was a little taken aback to see those sort comments as I have always met what I thought were really nice people in York, it is one of our favorite locations in the UK, it just makes me start to wonder what are they really thinking?

Brian is, as usual, absolutely right in what he says in his post, but it does make me realise why we so much prefer to go over the Channel to 'do our thing'. What with the overcrowding over here, the feeling you somtimes get of tourists not being wanted (reflected in the view of this probable minority of residents) plus the underlying cost of the 'liesure tax' we seem to be hit with in this country at every turn probably explains why we always feel more welcome abroad.

I have heard first hand similar comments in Cornwall, which I found amazing when you consider that it basically runs on tourism. and a lot of people are out of work for half the year due to the seasonal nature of their work.

I think a sad reflection really, perhaps I'm wrong, but thats the way I see it.

Bas

YORK BREWERY

Hi everyone.

It will be a great loss to york.and the local economy.

A lot of york people did support the show and are very sad at the loss.after 13 successful years

the adverse comments are from a small minority.

please be assured we as a local york company will continue to provide you with first class service

we will still be providing some bar services at pickering. (our tenth year at the show)

and will also be at newbury and the lincoln shows

Tony

york brewery - 2008-04-12 6:14 PM

YORK BREWERY

Hi everyone.

It will be a great loss to york.and the local economy.

A lot of york people did support the show and are very sad at the loss.after 13 successful years

the adverse comments are from a small minority.

please be assured we as a local york company will continue to provide you with first class service

we will still be providing some bar services at pickering. (our tenth year at the show)

and will also be at newbury and the lincoln shows

Tony

Do you do a waitress service as I will be having my own stand so can't get away easily for a quick pint :D

D.

Archived