Problem with Leisure Battery

John0159

Hi, I'm new to the forums (and to motorhomes too) and wonder if anyone can offer some advice. We have a new Hymer B674 (8 months old) and have experienced a problem with our leisure battery on 3 separate occasions, same problem each time.

Before each trip out, usually a couple of days before, I check the charge on the battery to see if it's worth plugging in and topping up the charge. On 3 occasions the battery has discharged totally, overnight, from 100% to a big fat 0%. I had switched the 12v system off after charging out of habit. To say it caught us out is an under statement, battery had been so flat we couldn't operate the door step. When we got on site and were able to plug in, the charge showed a slow but steady increase from 0% to around 20% charge, then there would be a dramatic increase to 100% fully charged, as sudden as the dischage.

The other odd thing I have noticed is that the LCD console on the van would show the battery as being 100% in 1 view, then swapping to the other view would show only 72ah. I was expecting to see 80ah. Sometimes when onsite and charging the display will show 100% and a question mark .... 100% ? . Is this a sign that there is indeed a problem with the battery?

Does the above sound like a battery problem or does it sound more serious?

I thought I would try another battery to see if it behaves the same way before contacting Hymer UK but I have just priced the same make on the net and it comes in at £298, that's put me off that idea. Make of battery supplied by Hymer is an Exide GEL G80 80ah.

Think I read somewhere on the forums that there is a switch to be set for either GEL or wet-lead batteries. Is that correct? If this was wrongly set would that give us a problem? If so, where do I find the switch?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

Hi John,

I'm still new to motorhoming but what I've picked up on regrading the leisure battery is to never let it get fully discharged or it becomes severly degraded in its peformance. I don't know whether you have any ancilliaries running off your leisure battery - alarm system, radio etc - but there must be something putting a big drain on the battery if it discharges so quickly. I know that the hot water system frost protection valve draws a few tens of milliamps as does the fridge control board, but the big load items would be the fridge, if left on battery, and any lights inadvertently left on in "hidden" places - garage, wardrobe etc. I turn off my leisure battery at the isolator switch rather than the control panel whenever the van is not being used for a few days or more, as the control panel main switch covers lights, pump etc but not the supply to the frost protecton valve or the fridge. This may be different in your Hymer. Doing this, I find the leisure battery is still well charged even after the van hasn't been used for a month or six weeks.

I'm sure you will get more expert input from the senior (in term of experience not age) contributors to the forum.

Richard.

Hi, If your van is only 10 months old then take it back to the supplier to sort.

However, I have had funny things with leisure batteries not holding a charge. It turned out to be a faulty connection on the earth lead from the battery in the battery cupboard. Personally I would not fit a Gel battery but change to a 105Ahr wet battery at a much cheaper cost (if it fits).

Awra best from Bute - Argyler

www.butejazz.com - the next festival is 1st May!! :->

gel batteries are made to be semi discharged unlike wet. I certainly would'nt attempt any repairs, but would book it in. Make sure you test it after repair to cut down on miles. You should have battery life for 2 to 3 days. This will differ van to van. (tv sat ... sat box lights heating ect, we used 25% in 1 day) we have 240amps, of batts. And always charge before going away, panels are not 100% acc, i always plugged mine in at least 2 dys prior. Now with solar panel so no need.

John:

I echo the advice in the last two postings. If there's a fault with the battery and/or the charging system, you will be looking at a substantial bill and, as your motorhome is under warranty, it would be common sense to get Hymer(UK) to pay.

These two earlier links may be helpful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9300&posts=11

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10238&posts=16

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

The problem happened again this week. Came home on Sunday, battery fully charged 100%. 12v system switched off on the panel, not the main fusebox (will have to remember to do that). Tuesday evening battery flat as a pancake. Strange thing is that it doesn't behave that way all the time.

So it's a quick look at the battery connections and earth leads then it'll be a phone call to Hymer UK.

Once quick question. I know the alarm system is running off the vehicle battery but does anyone know about Phantom trackers. Does this run off vehicle or leisure battery. Just making sure that security is in place before I switch the 12v off at the fusebox as suggested.

Thanks again. Brill !!

John

Just to make sure.

I had a similar problem a while back. My Battery is located underneath my seat and as daft as it sounds. When I slid my seat forward it was snagging one of the terminal connectors. good idea to check the leads, but as others have said, Thats what warranties are for,

Archived